What's new

PJ64 and televisions

adi

get out of my house
I was just wondering if anyone has outputted PJ64 via their graphics card to a suitably sized television (ie bigger than 24 inches). What does it look like? Does the higher resolution show through on your TV or does it just look like the normal n64?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no it looks f**ing cool, you are basically upsampling and then downsampling, which is a good technique to improve resolution in general... most VGA cards can output 1024x768 to a TV, and the colour depth etc is better on PJ

zeus

Agreed, I´m using a Gf2mx w/ the 20.80 drivers to output project64 on a 32" telly. It looks a whole lot better then the original, with 4xFSAA and antroscopic filtering you are basicly getting the same gfx quality that you would normally get on your monitor, unless you have a really shitty tv.

I´m not sure about the 1024*768 thing cos I´m pretty sure that 800*600 is the limit, you can probaly force it with an adapter but I can´t set it any higher.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
wat do u need to use ur pc on a tv - is it just a TV out.

cos i wanna see wat its like to play emus....also can u sue the tv like a normal monitor (ive always wanted to try this.)

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
That sounds really cool. Zeus, I have the same card as you but my 14inch tv doesnt have an s-video input. Did you use a convertor, or did your tv already have it? I've got a 36 inch panasonic downstairs, but its a bit heavy to carry :D

zeus

Well, if you have the asus v7100t you should have both s-video and composite out, since my tv has both there´s no difference except it´s easier to use the composite one.

If you have a scart connector on the back on your tv, buy an adapter for s-video and/or pal to scart, it´s cheap and will get the job done. And yes, all u need is a gfx card with tv-out to be able to enjoy emus and other things on your telly.

Using the tv as a monitor shouldn´t be recomended, unless you have a really good tv, i.e hdtv, otherwise the text will become hard to read. The card I´m using has a crontel chip but with more expensie solutions you could probaly get a better picture because of the higher resolutions allowed. If your tv has a low dot pitch number, 0.22-0.25 you will get an awesome picture.

Tesla-Guy

Also, my beloved Asus V8200 offers TV-Out(1 S-Video and 1 Composite), Video-In, 3D glasses and ofcourse CRT outputs :) :):):)

Jfletcher

I only use the TV to watch movies I download and play games on it. The text is pretty hard to read in everything but XP (cleartype).
My MB is kinda old (Tyan Trinity S1854) so no extra features there.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
maybe ill swap my tv card for one which has tv-out as well as tv-in. i really wanan see how much pj64 is like the real thing. plus i hav winxp and always use cleartype. so im guessing itll look good.

Shinji

I'm using an Asus 8200 Deluxe, and for the most part the picture is fine.

But I thought that the resolution limit was 640-480?

Well, the experience is okay, the text is really crappy. It'd be near impossible for me to write an essay or something. But if it's just for playing games (4 player Mart Kart for example) then all the power to ya.

svtour

where can i get the tv-out cable?, also, anyone every try other emulator systems like snes or gba on tv? would they look good?

Last edited:

Acorn

PJ64 looks great on the TV here! Limited to 800*600, but thats prolly my leadtek geforce 2's fault. I have an ati card which supports a ton of TV features, but... it doesn't run to well with pj64 ;) The quality is great, but I'm limited to either TV or moniter. As such, I was wondering if it would be easy/possible to create an option which would increase the text size of the rom names to very large - so that they would be readable on the TV? Just a thought, seemed it would be easy to do and helpful =) It would make it so those of us like me wouldn't have to deal with opening the rom, then switching, and the crashes that causes. Increasing the font size in windows itself only helps to a point. Thx for the great emu and the 1000's of hours put into it!

Twelve70

The GB(C) & GBA games look bad when they are played fullscreen on the computer. Played on the orginal system & on the computer up to 3X the orginal size is OK but too much more & it looks messed up. I think it would be the same way putting it on the TV as well.

Twelve70