What's new

Please Release Chankast Open Source..

feartetsuo

First of all this thread isn’t ment to bitch or complain AT ALL about the progress of this wonderful emulator. I am extremely grateful for the development of this one and only working Dreamcast emulator. The amount of work, effort, and money that was involved in this project had to have been overwhelming at times, but the result is amazing.

I understand and respect that the creators of Chankast have their own lives, work, projects, commitments, etc...So it is understandable that there would be delays in future releases (if any). But here we are, 4 months away from not having any news, release, or updates of any kind in 2 years.

The last post of any kind relating to a future update was from Garrofi ~

"...About the future, we are thinking about releasing the source code and a binary with the latest changes."

The point of this thread is to suggest that the creators of this emulator do as Garrofi had mentioned and release this emulator as an Open Source project. This way another developer could pick it up and improve and continue where the Chankast team left off. Allowing for more updates, improvements, possible online play, better compatibility, etc.....

Once again I understand how the developers would not want to continue and devote many more hours into this project. So before the Mods read my post and delete it, please be aware that I am not bitching or complaining in anyway. I am just trying to get this wonderful emulator release as open source so that another developer/team could expand on what the Chankast team has already accomplished.

Kratos777

Amen to that. I really with they would just say something about what's going on here but there's nothing we can do about it.

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
I bet they all come here and read these posts and laugh while saying
something like " Lets see how long we can make them act like this."

Then just as it starts to fade into a memory...BAM!!

Next version...

Besides releasing the source doesn't mean anything will come out it..

Last edited:

aika-san

KingVendrSnatch said:
Besides releasing the source doesn't mean anything will come out it..

Are you saying that releasing the source of the only DC emulator which is capable of running commercial games is not going to attract programmer's?

There are a large number of programmer's who have tweaked, modified and hacked chankast (without any source) and the related games in order to increase functionality and compatibility. Having access to the source would surely open a lot more doors for community based improvements. Take a look at other (less popular) open source projects and you will find an active community of programmer's working on the source.

In the end, it's the authors choice. If they choose to let Chankast end as an unfinished alpha then that's their option. It just means that there are severe limitations on the improvements that can be made by this community.

Last edited:

flowrent

I'm sure that after the huge effort put into Chankast the programmers just wanted to take a break.
Well, seems that break is a big one and maybe they got involved in other projects.
Maybe the donations were not satisfactory either.
If they kept the source code to themselves that means they intend to get back to work on it someday when they fix some personal problems or finish some other projects.
I can totally undestand and respect their decision to put Chankast on hold if other things have priority.
Meanwhile ,we're dying here waiting for a sign ,for a single word from them.
Say something guys,anything !!
No one will blame you if you haven't spent 1 minute on Chankast the last 1.5 years but do say something ,cause this silence is killing us .

OP
F

feartetsuo

If the project was released open source I am sure that someone will pick it up. I mean look at all the hacks and tools that were created for it when it was first released. And that fact that it is the first and only DC emulator to run commercial games, for the most part near perfect, I'm sure some team or developer would love to pick it up and continue on it. Hell if I was a developer I would work on this thing night and day till I got online play added to it.

I'm just saying that if the current developers dont wish to further their development on it, atleast release it open source so someone else can add to it.

ChaosCode

LOL you know the people that work on this emulator are not going to release the source and if they did. I know for a fact they would wait till it was version 1.0

OP
F

feartetsuo

Would it take a big enough donation to atleast get this thing released open source, if so how much would the author's want to get this released open source?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You know... If they don't wish to release the source then they won't release it even if you ask for it a billion times.
Now stop asking for the source or I'll be forced to press that "ban" button on you. As simple as that.