What's new

Graphic Issue When Playing The Legend Of Zelda : Majora's Mask

OldSkoolNintend

Yo people,

Kk, Project 64 is the best emulator out there so I hear. I have version 1.6 (Which is the latest I beleive) it works great with most games but sometimes it gives me black spots. Like on "The Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask" for example, some ground just shows up black. (Like in Termina Field or North Clock Town)

I dunno I'm pretty sure I meet the reqs...

Pentium 3, 1 GHZ.
256 MB of ram,
NVIDIA Geforce 4 MX 440 with 64mb.
Direct X 9.

Any help? x.x; Everything runs smooth except for the every so often the game kinda lags for a couple of seconds and goes from like 50 frames per sec to like 10 then jumps back up again.

Any help is appreciated,

OldSkoolNintendo

CF2

Pretends to make sense
You card doesn't have pixel shaders. Your best bet is to go into options and switch the graphics plugin to Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
the MX440 is a fixed function card,(DX6/7) which means it isn't taking advantage of the Dx8 calls in Jabo's DX8 plugin,.. it also only has 64mbs which is not enough.

OP
O

OldSkoolNintend

KK, I don't know if my card supports pixel shaders and I tried the thing with the graphic's to 1.52 or w/e. That fixes that problem but then some other things instead show up black.

Is my video card not good enough? :ermm:

Clements

64MB of VRAM is easily enough for PJ64. PJ64 doesn't use much VRAM. As for the 1.5.2, sounds like a driver problem. Try reverting to older drivers.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
it might be enough for the Dx6 plugin, but the Dx8 plugin enables larger textures sizes within Dx by using less compression to increase quality

Clements

My ATi Mobility X700 has 64MB of on-board VRAM, yet I can play games Perfect Dark @ 1440x900 + 2xAA/16x High Quality AF with no slowdown. I, of course, use the D3D8 plugin as it is SM2.0b compliant.

My laptop is capable of outperforming my desktop with the limiter off as well, showing that texture memory is a non-issue in standard N64 emulation, and it is all entirely CPU limited - as with almost all types of emulation.

Clements

Yes, I know that. The point was that I would rather use the updated D3D8 plugin since my graphics card supports it, than the older D3D6 plugin.

I, of course, use the D3D8 plugin as it is SM2.0b compliant.

'It' refers to my graphics card, and not the plugin.

Last edited: