AMD or Intel

• AMD

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Intel

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I only own a pentium 3 1ghz right now and I am quite displeased with it. It costed a lot more than an athlon would have and it is slower :/. The only reason I bought it was because at the time AMD didnt make laptop CPUs.

Pheo

AMD's have never done me wrong
i still have a 133 mhz processor from '96 but haven't checked to see if it works though (would make a good keychain)

thine_impalor

Local spammer
AMD AMD AMD

Get an AMD, i have a P4. I used to have an AMD K6 which is a VERY underrated processor. It is rock solid and ZERO stability problems and Athlon is very much like that. This Pentium 4 of mine is NOT the stable kind and the ONLY reason I got it is bcuz athlon wasn't in stock at that time and i couldn't wait(damnit Y Y didn't i have PATIENCE)...............................
get AMD!!!!:hrm:

Slougi

There's a place for both AMD and Intel cpu's. While AMD cpu's offer better price/performance ratio Intel Cpu's use considerably less power and heat up a lot less, so they are more commonly used in laptops and low-noise pc's. I will also prolly get a Northwood when I upgrade, instead of a thoroughbred. But maybe the Hammers will be out already, we'll see :)

Slougi

It's still twice as hot as any 0.18 micron athlon. The thoroughbreds may not run much cooler either. I think the first cool (I.e. on Intel level) AMD chips will be the hammers. The P4 pumps out a lot of heat as well, but it has thermal protection built in.

[edit] whoops stupid typo. this: "It's still twice as hot as any 0.18micron athlon." should be "Any 0.18 micron Athlon is still twice as hot as any P3." [/edit]

Last edited:

blizz

I'm using a Intel P3 450, which is very nice (BX chipset ;) )

although my main choice is going to be a AMD next time

heat wise, AMD have gotten better as the Athlon has matured (I think the Athlon 750 Mhz was cooler than the 650 or something similar and equally stupid)

OP
Lex

Lex

Slougi said:
It's still twice as hot as any 0.18 micron athlon. The thoroughbreds may not run much cooler either. I think the first cool (I.e. on Intel level) AMD chips will be the hammers. The P4 pumps out a lot of heat as well, but it has thermal protection built in.

[edit] whoops stupid typo. this: "It's still twice as hot as any 0.18micron athlon." should be "Any 0.18 micron Athlon is still twice as hot as any P3." [/edit]

The Athlon XP has a protection to.

Slougi

No it doesn't. The AthlonXP has a thermal diode built in for the first time in an AMD cpu, but has no built in overheating protection.

Yingke

I had a PII for ages and it's served my well. But now i got a duron and it's quite good. AMD is good now simply cos it's cheap :D

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh yeah, AMD processors are awesome but all the motherboards made for them suck.