What's new

How to program a NES game

Legend789

legend789
First off, is it legal to make your own NES game? :saint:

Is it possible to? And will it work on JNES and other emulators?

Where can I learn? What kind of software will I have to get? Is it downloadable? Where can I find it?

Thanks for answering my questions ^_^

This question isn't necessary to answer, but what's the difficulty of learning. I just ask because when I tried AGI, I couldn't get the main character to warp from one room to another, when they walked over the door warp.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Nothing should prevent you from coding your own NES game, since you've coded it from ground up (I hope)..

If your game works on the real NES, then it will work in JNES as well. If you want to make a game, you need to know exactly how the console works (every aspect of it) and how to program in pure Assembly that is tailored for NES use.

Where to get tht kind of info... well, Google can find anything.

Toasty

Sony battery
The NES is a platform, just like a PC is a platform, and it's perfectly legal for you to write code for any platform of your choosing as long as you don't copy copyrighted code. As far as difficulty goes - get ready for lots of assembly, as you'll need every cycle out of the processor you can get.

OP
L

Legend789

legend789
Agozer said:
Nothing should prevent you from coding your own NES game, since you've coded it from ground up (I hope)..

If your game works on the real NES, then it will work in JNES as well. If you want to make a game, you need to know exactly how the console works (every aspect of it) and how to program in pure Assembly that is tailored for NES use.

Where to get tht kind of info... well, Google can find anything.

Thanks, Agozer. This answers most of my questions. However, from what I can tell there's already a C-type language that I could use from the link that sethmcdoogle gave me.

Toasty said:
The NES is a platform, just like a PC is a platform, and it's perfectly legal for you to write code for any platform of your choosing as long as you don't copy copyrighted code. As far as difficulty goes - get ready for lots of assembly, as you'll need every cycle out of the processor you can get.

Okay this helps a lot. Now I don't have to worry. Thanks, Toasty.

sethmcdoogle said:

Thanks, sethmcdoogle. This also helps a lot, and will make things easier for me.