What's new

Resident Evil Code Veronica - What do I need?

Arkanius

Today, I was playing Xbox 360 and I looked at my controller... Looked at my Dreamcast that wasnt working and looked a the Jewel Case of Code Veronica and I said "Emulator..."

I decided to come here since this was where I got all my goodies for playing N64 and stuff so tell me.

Does Resident Evil Code veronica work with the current versions of Chankast?
If not, is there any thing extra that I need to run to get it working?
I need a BIOS right?
I have the CD's (CD 1 and CD2), I can run them from the DVD-Drive right?

Thanks in advance.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yes, Code Veronica does work in Chankast with some reservations, I don't remember what those might be though.
Yes, you need the DC BIOS.
You can run them from the DVD-ROM drive, provided that the CDs are burned CD-R's. Normal CD/DVD drives won't read GD-ROM discs. Also, Chankast needs the games to be selfboot, or then you need to use a bootdisc.

And finally, I don't know how well Chankast works with burned discs, since most people seem to use mounted CD images.

OP
Arkanius

Arkanius

I meant, using the original disks. Damn, that means I have to make ISO's of them? Alcohol120% and Nero will work right?
What do you mean by Selfboot or a Bootable disk? Dare to explain?

Thanks

LalaKSlayer

If you have the original disks, you can't play from the cd/dvd drive, you need to link your dreamcast to your pc, using the broadband adapter, I think that's it.

And about self boot, well, if you had a dreamcast and you never knew anything about selfboot, I'm guessing your games ARE selfbootable...

STC-Fan

Dollop.
If you want to try it, there is a method for ripping DC games with a CD/DVD drive - http://stc.hacking-cult.org/gd-rom_stuff

I should probably make a video of me carrying it out someday as most people haven't heard of this method and probably don't believe it's even possible - the bottom line is that it works, but only with a few drives. (NOTE: I couldn't film the entire procedure as it takes about 30 minutes, which is juuuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit too long for my digital camera, for which I neither have a huge flash memory card nor a 3.15-volts mains power adaptor)

OP
Arkanius

Arkanius

Oh damn, I need to use my Dreamcast or multiple DVD-Drives...
My dreamcast is non functional and I only have a DVD-Drive.

I guess there will be no Resident Evil for me :(
(I guess, making ISOs directly from the CD with Nero wont work? Original game)

EDIT:

My DVD-Drive is a NEC-3500AG, isnt there a Firmware which can read GD-ROM?

EDIT2:

I have a found a old PlexWriter CD-RW Drive I dont use anymore. Would it work for dumping with Swap Disk?

Last edited:

STC-Fan

Dollop.
(Note: this post was going to be much longer, but when I clicked "Post Quick Reply", I'd been magically logged out, and upon clicking the Back button, my carefully-written post was gone. ARGH. So, the short version: )

1. Given that my NEC ND-3540A DVD burner could barely read a thing from whatever pristine-condition GD-ROMs I tried in it, it's probably not worth trying out that NEC.

2. I only know of two modified firmware files that supposedly will allow a drive to read GD-ROMs; one of them is basically pinched from the DC Katana devkit software (and according to someone who tested it with the drive it's for, a Yamaha CDR-400t SCSI burner, it doesn't work), the other is for a Pioneer DVD-303S DVD reader, another SCSI drive. I don't know of anyone who has tested the Pioneer firmware, though.

3. Yes, that PlexWriter would probably work with the swap trick method, but I cannot guarantee it would be able to rip the entire disc. With the two Plextor SCSI CD-ROM drives I tested, I was able to extract 790MB or so, out of a possible 948MB (that's the size of the dense area of all GD-ROMs, i.e. the bit you can't normally read in your PC), which is not bad at all.
But because the critical file that makes the game work (called 1ST_READ.BIN) is near the edge of the disc, you'll ideally want to extract the entire dense area to get that file. As long as you can get that file, and provided no other core files are corrupted, the game should run in Chankast after cooking up a selfboot CDI / NRG disc image (which can be done with ExoBoot, or FastBoot).

OP
Arkanius

Arkanius

I tried opening my PlexWriter... Well it didnt go that well, and when I was assemblying it again... It was a disaster. I hope it still works in case I need it one day for an emergency.

I guess Google will be my friend... That and Azureus.
People cant blame me. I have the game, I have the right to have a backup of the game :p

Thanks to everyone.

Vinilipe

Brazillian EmuTalk Member
RE:CV don't run very well in chankast.
It's a bit slow and sometimes there is no sound.

spotanjo3

Vinilipe said:
RE:CV don't run very well in chankast.
It's a bit slow and sometimes there is no sound.

http://www.tradu-france.com/compatibility-list-dreamcast/index.php?lang=uk&c=r

scroll down until you see RE: CV. :)

Resident Evil Code Veronica (NTSC/U) - best with chankast_alpha_capcom_hack - 100% GFX - 100% SOUND - nearly 100% with full speed
at:

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t7228.html

try this:

Runs very fast without graphics glitches. Perfect emulation - sound is also very good! Use Zwrite and AlphaZwrite - additional activate capcom hack!

http://www.ngemu.com/dc/chanka.php?action=compat&req=game&id=973

Just use google.com to find the information. That's what I am doing right now. it is very useful. Google.com is your friend. ;)

Last edited:
OP
Arkanius

Arkanius

Sound seems to die on me too.
I'm using the European BIOS (Blue swirl) I heard that having the US BIOS (Orange Swirl) could solve the problem.

Is that true?

spotanjo3

Make sure if your game is PAL or USA or JAP then change the bios..thats simple. ;)

Last edited:

lankeydonkey

its all good for me, the game seems to run alil too fast at times but its still playable and i have the cheats too , i dont think theres a fix for the sound but it runs great , iam getting realy fast frame rates with resident evil code veronica with my rig:-

3gig amd64
geforce fx 5600
512 ddr : with cooling mod
80 gig hd
sound blaster live eax
plus xtras , 42 inch tv on tv out, full room surround sound and 2 dual shock controllers

OP
Arkanius

Arkanius

AMD Athlon64 3500+
GeForce 6800GT 256mb
60GB HD
Abit AV8 Motherboard 939 Socket

Yes, it runs to fast for me too :(

My only problem isnt the sound per se, is having to restart and try to be lucky and watch the cutscenes with sound.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Melkilockhart said:
US BIOS (Orange Swirl) could solve the problem?????????????
US BIOS????
where can i find it?
In your US Dreamcast of course. Don't ask things like that here, unless you don't want to stay long.;)

lankeydonkey

get the ntsc bios , i have a jap , pal , ntsc and the ntsc seems abit more stable of the 3 try it and see

also: at work again lol