What's new

somethings eating my resources!

adi

get out of my house
I just formatted my hard drive and installed win me and office 2000. After upgrading all the apps, i now find its going slower than before i formatted it. Could it be anything to do with kazaa and does anyone have any tips on how to make it faster?

Remote

The only obvious bottleneck in your system is your OS, exhange Me for 2000 or XP. And if your compare a fresh install with a almost fresh install with Office ontop of it you will notice a big difference...

linker

Emutalk Member
Dunno if you have Win98 but here are the instructions for it:
Go to System Properties (Control Panel->System), then to device manager tab. Choose "Disk Drives" section and then double click your hard drive. Turn DMA on.

Also, I think that OfficeXP is better (just mine opinion).

blizz

ME is pure distilled evil, Win2000 is probably the best OS M$ has done

personally XP annoys me

I like OSX though, and some of the new Linux Distro's are pretty sweet too.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
gather round my children for some tales of Win ME that will make you shudder, ack I hated that pityful excuse of a OS

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
After another formatting and selectively installing stuff, my pcs now running great even with winme. The new nvidia drivers are great, much better than the last ones for me anyway.

linker

Emutalk Member
theacj said:
...and selectively installing stuff, my pcs now running great even with winme...

And how did you installed it the last time - using FULL INSTALL? with all the crap?

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
No, I meant programs and changing antivirus software to the one from www.free-av.com . Its so much better than the symantec and mcafee software, takes much less resources as well.

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
theacj said:
No, I meant programs and changing antivirus software to the one from www.free-av.com . Its so much better than the symantec and mcafee software, takes much less resources as well.

Win98SE is still the way to go. With Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002 it still runs fast (and you got a good scanner too).

Win2000 is nice, BUT, if you got hardware that's a bit... 'unwilling', then you're screwed (it didn't like that my AGP card shared an IRQ address). These 'problems' usually don't show on Win98, and Win98 will work perfectly with it.

Win98SE... not Win98...

linker

Emutalk Member
win98se is great!
what? you don't believe me?
don't you see these amazing effects?
i'm so happy with it

ok, the last one, too much flood :)

Last edited:
OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
lol linker that winamp thing brings back far too many memories! anyway I upgraded to win xp professional, its good.