What's new

playing games in your own emulator

hap

When looking for bugs or testing, you play a lot of games in your emulator. But how often do you actually play a game in it for the sake of enjoyment, without focusing on the emulator development ?

For me, it's hardly, I'm not much of the gamer that I used to be anyway. Though I can still get hooked on big games like RPGs occasionally. Right now I'm busy playing 'Just Breed' on my NES emulator.

Blargg

I've had a similar experience with my NES emulator as well; I've hardly played any games, just tested them. I guess that means that I enjoy the process of writing and optimizing a NES emulator more than playing emulated NES games. I did get to finally play both Contra games, and the visually-impressive Gimmick. The most fun I've had is abusing the rewind feature.

EDIT: That "FFX ported to the NES" link is to a Windows program, not a NES game.

Last edited:

Scar_T

Same here, I never played a game on my psx emu, mostly because I don't like to play on PC :p, so I don't use emulators too often neither.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
It's the exact opposite for me. Once I get my emulators to the point where anything is remotelly playable, I can't stop playing them, thus taking away from my coding time :p

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Played about half of zelda, half or mario, most of banjoo tooie, some of blast corps, but I guess in general I enjoy making it and getting it better.

synch

I only play to see if it hangs on some "advanced" place of the game, but I enjoy more programming than gaming. That's quite a bit of a problem, since I hate to test games (or play some of them for a bit), and, as a result, get unexpected problems from version to version with games that I didn't care to test.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
tbh the games dont really thrill me that much

i think the feeling of achieving such a thing gives me the biggest rush, its like, doing something that shouldnt be possible and seeing it work is just the best rush an emu author can have.

which makes the nooby "zomgz why doesnt my game work" questions even more teadious, apart from the fact there's a game that doesnt work, its the fact they cant see it for the same thing you do :p