PDA

View Full Version : New Gamecube Emulator with amazing speed.

chichi
January 26th, 2006, 03:19
The "best" speed-wise GC emulator out there is here ! (tho the compatibility kinda sucks atm, and there is no sound, it's an early stage of emulation i think but still, the speed of this emu is stuning!!).

Have a look : http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcemu-project

source : http://www.ngemu.com/

Maybe one day the great Dolphin emulator will become as fast :drool:

*wants an emu with the speed of GCEmu and the compatibility of Dolphin*

sorry for the bad english *hides*.

[edit]Errr this is maybe not the ideal part of the forum to post this.

RockmanForte
January 26th, 2006, 03:26
Maybe! :)

That is ok...if you can speak english..thats fine. ;)

Trotterwatch
January 26th, 2006, 03:46
I thought this thread was going to be complete **** :D I was wrong, here is another link (the sourceforge and Ngemu ones aren't working at the moment):

http://www.pbernert.com/html/gcemu.htm

ShizZy
January 26th, 2006, 03:52
****... I'm impressed. Can't believe I havn't seen this before. I'm amazed this thing can work as fast as it does. Crashes in the intro to SMS, but the speed is just stunning - 10X of what I get in Dolphin.

XxCrashxX
January 26th, 2006, 04:03
Ok so I have it, does it run Isos or does the disc need to be mounted

_Chrono_
January 26th, 2006, 04:11
A small compat list started here:
http://forums.ngemu.com/gcemu-forum/68234-compatibility-list.html

youll notice the compatibility wise, Dolphin is still the best.
But the speed is great :) check out Crazy Taxi for exemple.

I'll be finishing the compat list and posting shots in a few days

LegendOfStern
January 26th, 2006, 04:48
Sure, it seems fast, but the compatibility is an issue. I just recently updated to the newest nVidia gfx drivers, and I can't use gcemu because my drivers are too new. Surely, that's a problem that could and should be fixed.

Also: Looking at the readme, it seems that the Dolphin developers swapped source code with these guys. Will this code be integrated into Dolphin to make it faster?

Miretank
January 26th, 2006, 05:12
Yeah, nice GCemu out there... but hey, afaik it runs that naruto thingie faster than dolphin does it... will the noobs stop to ask about naruto's fps now? :evil:

Btw, this does not belong to Dolphin forum... ;)

RockmanForte
January 26th, 2006, 07:20
I can test for naruto but I can't because it is linux..not windows :(

GCFreak
January 26th, 2006, 07:59
I can't get it working.

Kingis
January 26th, 2006, 09:08
read the readme. use the command prompt. write gcemu and then the name of the game file.

Djipi
January 26th, 2006, 09:56
it doesn't work too . I have an error : can't open font lucida16.yay

I would like to know how it work because i use gcemu + iso.gcm and i have this error . is it compatible with windows?

Xtrash
January 26th, 2006, 10:09
First I got error message cos file extension was iso so i changed to gcm. seems working but i got black screen nothing appeared. And there was frame rate shown: 14 frames per second. Dunno whether it will still run with 14 fps if it runs the rom correctly. I tested with ZeldaWW

chichi
January 26th, 2006, 10:16
You need to know MS-Dos command basics :

Here's a little help with my few english vocabulary :

On windows xp :

Start -> Run -> cmd
then you specify the path of the emu using the "cd" command, for example if your emu folder is at c:\program files\emu\Gamecube\GCEmu, just do in the ms-dos invite : cd c:\program files\emu\Gamecube\GCEmu.

Then you should have something like this :

c:\program files\emu\Gamecube\GCEmu>

type : gcemu, then all commands appear.

To launch a game, we will do it the easiest way possible, copy the iso of your game in GCEmu folder (for example : naruto.gcm), then just do in the ms-dos invite :

c:\program files\emu\Gamecube\GCEmu>gcemu naruto.gcm

it will launch your game.

Sorry for the bad english =]

PS : Under ms-dos mode, use the "dir" command to browse the folder/files in a path.

Remote
January 26th, 2006, 10:19
cool :)

Doomulation
January 26th, 2006, 10:29
Sure, it seems fast, but the compatibility is an issue. I just recently updated to the newest nVidia gfx drivers, and I can't use gcemu because my drivers are too new. Surely, that's a problem that could and should be fixed.

Also: Looking at the readme, it seems that the Dolphin developers swapped source code with these guys. Will this code be integrated into Dolphin to make it faster?
From my guess - this would be another uhle. That is, lots of hacks to make it fast! That will probably mean low compability and as compability improves, lower speed. I could be wrong, though...

Not saying that it's bad to use hacks to achieve such speeds, though!

timmyhawky
January 26th, 2006, 17:06
wow
sticky this

thakis
January 26th, 2006, 18:08
No, don't sticky this...give it an extra forum if enough people care.

timmyhawky
January 26th, 2006, 18:30
does some1 know how zeldaWW works(if it works :P )

GCFreak
January 26th, 2006, 18:56
EDIT: Here are some shots of SSBM In work.

Super Smash Bros. Melee (PAL) Ingame :drool: (Change Language)

ShizZy
January 26th, 2006, 21:22
Zelda WW does not work in this release.

Dirtie
January 26th, 2006, 22:03
The FPS for SSBM doesn't look much improved at all.

PsyMan
January 26th, 2006, 22:11
The FPS for SSBM doesn't look much improved at all.
That's because his CPU does not support SSE2.

ChaosCode
January 27th, 2006, 01:56
Well, I have to say hrmm becuase Iv seen some screen shots of some games and ingame they are like 5-10 fps. The reason Im saying hmm is this dolphin first release had this speed and better and it didnt have that many graphics problems. I think the reason this emulator is faster is becuase its not emulating everything and the graphics arnt all there. I beleave that if they fixed alot of the stuff wrong with it the speed may drop alot more. Im not sure I havnt run it but thats what it looks like. I meen its a sweet looking emulator tho!

esepibe
January 27th, 2006, 06:04
Help!! i made aaall that stuff...

But when the game its initiating,a message appears:

"Missing Shader Extention" :(

I suppose it has to do with the Gfx plugins...where do i download plugins for this GCemu??

Thnx to all :)

Knuckles
January 27th, 2006, 06:21
form what I tested:

-SSBM : runs faster ingame, but graphics are really a mess
-Sonic Mega Collection : hard to get thru, but you can start a game, it emulates the emulated game but hardly
-Harvest moon : same speed and graphics as dolphin
-Donkey Konga : runs nice, and damn fast with almost perfect graphics.
-MKDD: 3d messed, 2D not bad, kinda fast but you only see the screwed shadow bug ( as on dolphin)
-Nintendo Puzzle Collection : works a tad faster than dolphin, low quality 2D but stables
-most other games I have aren't doing ****.

Talfi
January 27th, 2006, 11:47
Help!! i made aaall that stuff...

But when the game its initiating,a message appears:

"Missing Shader Extention" :(

I suppose it has to do with the Gfx plugins...where do i download plugins for this GCemu??

Thnx to all :)

Same problem here...

¿nVidia or ATI?

Trotterwatch
January 27th, 2006, 12:36
I think you need a graphics card capable of Fragment Shaders (GL 2.0/PS 2.0)

timmyhawky
January 27th, 2006, 16:39
this emu has an incredible speed, but all the other things areCRAPPY
if the authors of this emu shall join the dolphin team, dolphin gets a perfect emu(so i think)

PsyMan
January 27th, 2006, 17:34
The source is there and everyone can take a look at it. I though that you guys wanted speed over compatibility and accuracy. What's the problem now?

esepibe
January 27th, 2006, 17:45
Same problem here...

¿nVidia or ATI?

Nvidia geforce 4 4000 64 mb ram =p

By the way...its a pentium4 3.0 ghz,with 512 mb ram DDR II...

BazzatManBowlin
January 27th, 2006, 17:58
Whoa, 'guess I'm gonna have to keep my eye on this one.

Trotterwatch
January 27th, 2006, 17:59
GF4 TI doesn't support Pixel Shader 2.0 (or GL 2.0).

esepibe
January 27th, 2006, 18:11
GF4 TI doesn't support Pixel Shader 2.0 (or GL 2.0).

:vampire:

...ok,that was the drop that filled the cup...:getlost:

:ranting: REEEAALLY TIRED OF MY CRAPPY CARD:ranting: (with ALL the problems that bringed me through an entire year!!)

GONNA SAVE FOR A PCI EXPRESS CARD FROM TODAY!!:gunman:

...sorry for that

Thanks for the answer man!:bouncy:

PsyMan
January 27th, 2006, 18:13
Yup... MX series always sucked... :P

Low Lines
January 27th, 2006, 18:54
:(
I know I've already posted this in the release comments, but I figured it would have a better chance at being answered if I posted it here.

Can anyone tell me about SSE2 and how do I know if my computer has it? I'm guessing it doesn't, which means I can't test the emulator...I hope there will be possible OS versions that I could use (though I'm guessing SSE2 is where the speed is coming from). PCSX2 has this thingo too, though I haven't really looked at it much since I have few games in which to test on it.

I have honestly been going through the forums here and at NGemu, but there's nothing directly specific to answer this and also the program seems to have another problem that I'm sure was mentioned earlier but not answered.

It says it could not open a font file with an extention I think was ".yay" or something. I'm sorry if I've missed the answer, but I really want to get this emu working and see it for myself, (regardless if not having SSE2 makes it run slower).

Another thing I asked in the NGemu forums if anyone knows how to write a ".bat" runtime file. I did one once, but forgot how to do it and I'm sure it would be way easier than to use dos. ie you could write a ".bat" for each game. Cos where I stick my games, I have a very long _root link and I don't want to move them about.

PsyMan
January 27th, 2006, 19:03
Don't panic. The emulator uses SSE2 but it's not required to run it.

You will get this font error if you try to run the emulator from another folder.
So, place the .gcm files you have in the same folder as the emulator, open the command prompt and go to the directory of the emulator, type "gcemu.exe name_of_the_game.gcm" and you're done.

Low Lines
January 27th, 2006, 19:07
Thanks Psyman, and sorry if I sound a bit panicky. I do hope the author gets motivated again, so they can look at GUI and stuff like that.

Oh bugger, that bloody shader problem...sigh, never mind, I've still got Dolphin and Dolwin, besides I have other things to do...

Mekun
January 27th, 2006, 20:45
The reason they released the source code is so other people can build a GUI and improve it. They are good at optimising the cpu core not the graphics side of the emu while dolphin is better at the graphics side. I hope the dolphin team can use the code to help speed up there emu.

ChaosCode
January 27th, 2006, 21:25
Thanks Psyman, and sorry if I sound a bit panicky. I do hope the author gets motivated again, so they can look at GUI and stuff like that.

Oh bugger, that bloody shader problem...sigh, never mind, I've still got Dolphin and Dolwin, besides I have other things to do...

Actually, Iv already created a working front end for it but it is very basic. I do plain to release it when I get a few things added like joystick keyboard binding.

Low Lines
January 27th, 2006, 22:00
Man I wish I could program, (though I ought to know sooner or later). I find it very fascinating what people can do with a bit of code and a nice hardware setup. Good plan though!!:bouncy:

_Chrono_
January 28th, 2006, 01:20
Actually, Iv already created a working front end for it but it is very basic. I do plain to release it when I get a few things added like joystick keyboard binding.

ahh great :)
I was gonna see if i could make one this weekend but im not really motivated...
so cheers :party:

64fanatic
January 28th, 2006, 03:01
For those of you who were having a problem loading games with GCEmu, you will definitly like this. @ruantec-man, who is know for his Emu-Selector, made a frontend for this new GameCube emulator. It will associate .gcm's with GCEmu and will load them with all the selected settings. Here are important notes from @ruantec-man:

1. Do not place the manager in the same directory as GCemu as will not work. anyways you can load the emupath in the GCemu Manager main window.
2. After you associate the .gcm files just click 2x on the .gcm file to open them!

http://files.ngemu.com/gc/pics/aruantec_s.jpg

^screenshot

------------------------------

This helps :)

BlueFalcon7
January 28th, 2006, 04:20
i got it up and running, i wasnt as impressed as i was hoping to be :-( but it still works with SSBM, the points are a little messed up O_o but im always up for a little slo-mo melee. also someone said they got MKDD working, i just got a black screen.

GCFreak
January 28th, 2006, 23:47
I already showed people that SSBM could work :P

RockmanForte
January 29th, 2006, 05:23
I think the dolphin team will. They are into the compability games to increase first. We will have to be patient and just excite looking at new games playable in screenshots anyway. ;)

enix-sama
January 29th, 2006, 06:37
Tried naruto today and got this error:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8536/sp32200601290034383iz.th.png (http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sp32200601290034383iz.png)

tested in dolphin earlier and it works fine, so i guess its not compatible, or my pc sucks.

Trotterwatch
January 29th, 2006, 12:54
Tried naruto today and got this error:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8536/sp32200601290034383iz.th.png (http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sp32200601290034383iz.png)

tested in dolphin earlier and it works fine, so i guess its not compatible, or my pc sucks.

It's your video card, needs to support Fragment Shaders I believe (PS 2.0/GL 2.0 level).

tehdarkknight
January 30th, 2006, 01:19
I tested Ikaruga, and got a steady 15 fps.
Of course, then it goes 1000 fps at menus =P

Nice work, but Ikaruga's color is seriously goofed up.

Some piktars:

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/gcemu-ikaruga1.th.gif (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=gcemu-ikaruga1.gif)

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/gcemu-ikaruga2.th.gif (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=gcemu-ikaruga2.gif)

Komplikato
January 31st, 2006, 16:00
Nvidia geforce 4 4000 64 mb ram =p

By the way...its a pentium4 3.0 ghz,with 512 mb ram DDR II...

GeForce 4 MX (not Ti!) series (420, 440, 460, 4000) is not DirectX9 compliant, it is only DX7 (yes only DX7) compliant card. This card series is a mutant GeForce2 MX, do not support DX8.0, DX8.1, DX9a-b-c and Pixelshader 1.1-1.3-1.4-2.0 ...

GeForce 4 Ti (Titan 4200, 4400, 4600, 4800) series is DirectX 8.1 compliant card, and this series support PixelShader 1.4 only.

A_Nemos
February 1st, 2006, 00:40
GeForce 4 Ti (Titan 4200, 4400, 4600, 4800) series is DirectX 8.1 compliant card, and this series support PixelShader 1.4 only.

1.3 ps not 1.4 (8500 ,9000,9100 9200 9250 have 1.4)
and so they (geforce4 ti series) are in fact DirectX 8.0 hardware compliant
(DirectX 8.1 needs - Pixel Shader 1.4 & Vertex Shader 1.1 capability)

Doomulation
February 1st, 2006, 09:01
They DO support pixel shader 1.4. I have one myself.

Hunk_4TH
February 1st, 2006, 09:21
This emu doesn't work for me a dos window just pops up and closes thats it :(

A_Nemos
February 1st, 2006, 09:43

we are going offtopic arguing about retro hardware specifications so i will give
a short (-spartan) and last answer :

Battlefield 2 .

:gunman: :bye3: :D :D :D

Trotterwatch
February 1st, 2006, 11:10

Wrong. Try HL2 in DX 8.1 mode if you want, or Battlefield 2 as mentioned above. Seeing as you are always correct though Doomulation, you may want to notify the whole Internet who are in the wrong. Maybe start with Futuremark:

http://service.futuremark.com/support/search.jsp?cid=2&fid=1111

Anyways to all the people in this thread who are saying the Dolphin others should take code from this emulator and vice versa, believe me if there is anything that is mutually beneficial to the aims of all parties, then it will be done. It's not as easy as just taking lumps of code from one and putting it in the other and expecting it to function (I would imagine at least).

Doomulation
February 1st, 2006, 11:27
Wrong. Try HL2 in DX 8.1 mode if you want, or Battlefield 2 as mentioned above. Seeing as you are always correct though Doomulation, you may want to notify the whole Internet who are in the wrong. Maybe start with Futuremark:
Maybe something is amiss, maybe I'm wrong. I don't claim to always be right, but there is no point in arguing over it. Gf4 Ti are old anyway.

maverick_z
February 2nd, 2006, 17:51
it looks good but what emu is it ??? is that dolphin?

Trotterwatch
February 2nd, 2006, 17:57
Can you not read?

Scar_T
February 3rd, 2006, 18:12
Some screenshots of Skies of Arcadia (the only game I have to test). It doesn't even reach the menu, it only shows the companies logos (sega and overworks) and after that a GSOD :P

M[u]ddy
February 3rd, 2006, 19:31
Compared with the other GC-Emulators, the speed of this one is amazing,
but after 5 minutes, the emulator shuts down by itself for me.:(

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
CPU:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Video Card:
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis
Sound Card:
C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Memory:
512MB DDR

seth-lan
February 9th, 2006, 02:26
Man this is kool, i wounder how long until an update comes out... Mmmm... naruto on my computer.

ChaosCode
February 9th, 2006, 23:19
the 9550 ati + are SP 2.0 not sure on the gf I think its 5200+ if you dont have a 9550+ ati or a 5200+ gf, just forget about any next gen emulators.

M[u]ddy
February 10th, 2006, 21:29
Man this is kool, i wounder how long until an update comes out... Mmmm... naruto on my computer.
There will be no offical updates cause they stoped this project( after 5 month of doing nothing). But since the source was released to, there will probably some inoffical updates or even new emulators, based on this.

RockmanForte
February 10th, 2006, 22:56
ddy']There will be no offical updates cause they stoped this project( after 5 month of doing nothing). But since the source was released to, there will probably some inoffical updates or even new emulators, based on this.

That doesnt mean they stopped this project. If they do, they would announced about that. :rolleyes:

SteelMetal
February 12th, 2006, 23:23
I know I've already posted this in the release comments, but I figured it would have a better chance at being answered if I posted it here.

Can anyone tell me about SSE2 and how do I know if my computer has it? I'm guessing it doesn't, which means I can't test the emulator...I hope there will be possible OS versions that I could use (though I'm guessing SSE2 is where the speed is coming from). PCSX2 has this thingo too, though I haven't really looked at it much since I have few games in which to test on it.

I have honestly been going through the forums here and at NGemu, but there's nothing directly specific to answer this and also the program seems to have another problem that I'm sure was mentioned earlier but not answered.

It says it could not open a font file with an extention I think was ".yay" or something. I'm sorry if I've missed the answer, but I really want to get this emu working and see it for myself, (regardless if not having SSE2 makes it run slower).

Another thing I asked in the NGemu forums if anyone knows how to write a ".bat" runtime file. I did one once, but forgot how to do it and I'm sure it would be way easier than to use dos. ie you could write a ".bat" for each game. Cos where I stick my games, I have a very long _root link and I don't want to move them about.

It gives me the same error when I try to open Naruto clash of ninja 4, is it becouse the game is a ISO file ?
("IT WORKS ON DOLPHIN")
The game is in the same folder as the emulator
Does the emulator run isos files too ?