What's new

FF11- The Rumors

MGS-GreyFox

I have heard that FF11 will be a Multi-platform (Possibly Xbox, PS2, PC) online RPG. Is any of that true and does anyone know anything else about it?

Martin

Administrator
All I know is that it'll be out for PS2 and PC. Don't know about the other systems. :cool:

OP
MGS-GreyFox

MGS-GreyFox

More Info

I found this article at http://www.squarespirit.net/:

Final Fantasy XI is going to be the very first FF online RPG. The game will cost about $49-$60 ( just an estimate ), plus a monthly fee of about $10 to play it. The game will be released in Japan and the rest of the world at the same time.
Final Fantasy XI is now in production for the PC!! This has been confrimed by both Yoichi Wada himself and Bloomberg News.

Now, this is obviously headline news for all of you RPG fans out there, because I've gotten lots of e-mails from disgruntled FF fans regarding my articles on the PlayOnline service and it's infamous monthly fees.

Well, you obviously already have an internet connection via you're computer (you couldn't be reading this if you didn't), so you won't have to bother buying that big annoying PlayOnline modem. However, don't start jumping for joy just yet. All versions of Final Fantasy XI will be played on Square's PlayOnline servers and I'm not sure if you're still going to have pay the much-hated monthly fees or not. I'll supply more info as it comes up.
~ Rikku16

Ohh and I also found an image of the FF11 Logo.

JDAzraiel

thaere are ways round the fees. remember PSO v.2 on DC when Barbury and his friends set up their own server to play the game on and managed to connect to sega's server throught theirs and play for free...

Last edited:

blizz

the PS2 and PC are definite, the NGC is a possibility as Square has the dev kit but don't hold your breath Nintendo's online strategy is unknown (ie they're not going to do it until they're pretty damm sure they can make money out of it). The X-Box is a possibility too but again it's the same situation as the Gamecube really. No one knows, or cares really.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I don't think any system beyond PC and PS2 is being considered. Honestly, its about time they start developing games specifically for PC instead of porting them from console versions.

blizz

developing a game for a PC is more difficult since you have to project for future enhancements, let alone keep backwards compatibilty, and then you've got all of the system overhead too, take the X-Box as an example, it's got PC architecture but because there isn't a massive RAM consuming OS DOA3 looks wonderful, console gaming will be the prefered choice of games developers first, and the PC will be second, but of course there are variables such as established user base, online capability etc...

Eagle

aka Alshain
Tis true, but as for forward compatibility, thats gotten easier to do over the last few years. How ever, porting from a console makes forward compatibility worse. (Hence the problems Ive been having with FFVII). I can still play SimCopter and Descent 2 and they are ages old... even though I don't play them anymore.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
FF XI will be released on all systems ( GC , PS2 , Xbox )
only not on the same date I guess the GC and Xbox will come three or four months later

Eagle

aka Alshain
Website link...? I'm still skeptical. I read an interview with Hironobu Sakaguchi (excuse the spelling) that said that FFX would be PS2 only and FFXI would be PS2 and PC only. THis was an old interview though, they can change their mind, but I still want to read it myself. There were rumors flying around that Final Fantasy IX would be on PSX, PC, and Dreamcast and that didn't happen.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Check this link then it's in Dutch but I'll translate it for ya

http://www.totalps2.nl/news_display.asp?id=3891

Final Fantasy XI Goes multi ?

Even though rumors of a multiplayer online experience with FF XI by Square have been denied we were able to get this news flashfrom Bloomberg Japan.Yesterday they sat around the table with Squaresoft's CEO Yoichi Wada who accedently told them a little bit tto much ( We think there wasn't a PR manager with him :D
He told them that FF XI wasn't going to be released for the PS2 and the PC but he mentioned the following : It's possible that FF XI would be released for other consoles (hint (cough) hint).He also told them that the PC and PS2 whill be able to compete online against each other.

Well that's the most important.