What's new

Small request (Animal Crossing related)

celebimc

I sometimes help out with a site that covers NES games. I tried to get the NES models out of Animal Crossing but came across 2 problems:

1) Can't extract/ find the ISO (no software for mac, don't worry, not asking for the ISO here)

2) No software on the Mac to extract graphics from an ISO

So, my question is, could someone extract the NES models from Animal Crossing & maybe even the Famicom models from Doubutsu no Mori +? This would help the site a great deal to have these various models. :D

thakis

I think gcmdump (an ISO extractor) could be ported to mac with minimal effort - you just have to uncomment everything in the toWORD(), toDWORD() etc functions.

OP
celebimc

celebimc

If you could send me those tools, I would greatly appreciate it. I also heard that I would have to reverse the polarity of my computer's disc drive just to recognize the disc, is that correct?

SarahHarp

You can aquire those tools on this board. Just use the search button to search for it. Also, no, you cannot read the discs that way (nor can you any other way I'm pretty sure).

OP
celebimc

celebimc

Just tried all of thakis' tools on Virtual PC and they all quit right after opening. thakis, are any other of your tools ported to Mac?

thakis

I'm attaching a mac build of gcmdump. This is completely untested, though, because I have no .gcm files on my ibook. No other programs are ported yet, and this is more a quick hack than a port as well.

The source is attached as well, it's compiled with
g++ -o gcmdump gcmdump.cpp
if anybody cares.

I don't know how console/terminal programs work on mac...try to drag a gcm file on it, if not, open a terminal and write "gcmdump filename.gcm" (gcmdump and the gcm file have to be in the same folder for that).

ps: btw, it's sufficient if you post only in one thread...there's no need to send me two pms and post in the szs thread as well :angry:

edit: Oh, please tell me if it works ;-) If not, I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
OP
celebimc

celebimc

You've got an iBook too? Nice. Ok, I'll keep the post in this thread and not in pms or any other thread. Is an ISO the same as a gcm file? Because I've got an ISO of Animal Crossing.

edit:

Tried opening the file & then I got this in the Terminal (Note: blocked out my real name)

Last login: Fri Jan 27 21:27:41 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
You have new mail.
Celebi23s-Computer:~ celebi23$ /Users/celebi23/Desktop/gcmdump_mac/gcmdump; exit
logout
[Process completed]

I then tried your suggestion if the file itself wouldn't load and then I got this message:

Last login: Fri Jan 27 21:21:08 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
You have new mail.
Celebi23s-Computer:~ celebi23$ gcmdump [BitTorment.net]_Animal_Crossing_NGC_NTSC_FULL_USA copy.gcm
-bash: gcmdump: command not found
Celebi23s-Computer:~ celebi23$

Is an ISO the same thing as a GCM if not, how would I convert the ISO to GCM?

Last edited:
OP
celebimc

celebimc

How do you get the tools to run in Windows XP? I've Windows XP for Virtual PC for Mac and when I open gcmdump.exe the app starts up and then quits right afterwards. The same goes for the rest of the tools. I've got no knowledge of the windows command prompt thing.

edit:

Ok, I found a pretty cool tool called "GC-Tool". I'm able to see all of the contents on the Animal Crossing disc. There is a file called "foresta.rel.szs" I'm able to export the file from the ISO image to my Virtual XP computer (using virtual pc on my Mac) Which of the szs tools will allow me to view whats in that file? Here's a pic of it:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5493/picture224qz.png

There's also a file called "famicom.arc" How do I open it up?

Last edited:

thakis

Hi,

to use it with the ibook: open a terminal in a folder which has both the gcm and gcmdump and type:
./gcmdump filename.gcm
(sorry, I forgot the ./ in my last mail)

About the SZS file and the ARC file: Open each one up with notepad and check if it starts with "YAZ0". If so, the files can be decompressed with yaz0dec. If one of the decompressed files start with RARC you can dearchive them with rarcdump.

The .rel file is probably some kind of .dll, so you won't be able to do much with it, though.

OP
celebimc

celebimc

I tried opening all of the szs tools and they quit on me right after opening.
The SZS file starts with "YAZ0" and the famicom.arc starts with "RARC" Terminal is saying this:

-bash: ./gcmdump: No such file or directory

Last edited:

thakis

you have to drop a file onto the programs.

About the Terminal: You have to switch to the folder where gcmdump and the .gcm file are first. When you open Terminal it starts in your home directory (you can type "pwd" to see your current directory. Use "cd dirName" to go into another directory in the current dir, use "cd .." to go a directory up).
HTH.

OP
celebimc

celebimc

I got those 2 files to open but with weird results. Can I send the original 2 files to you?

OP
celebimc

celebimc

BlueFalcon7, I've been trying to but, I only end up with empty folders. If you could PM me with the steps that you used, that'd be awesome.

@thakis:

I finally got it to work. Found some pretty interesting things. Stuff left over from the Japanese version & some unused stuff, I think

weirdacstuff6la.png

The Famicom icon must be for the Famicon Data save file. I've never seen the other ones though. But the question now is, where are the models? I've tried expanding the "foresta.rel.szs" file but all I get i the end is an empty folder. In the "forest_1st.arc_dir" folder, there are a ton of ".bin" files. There's a few of ".bin" files in "forest_2nd.arc_dir" as well. I've tried using your tools to open them up but, none of them worked.

jth

They probably have a different format... The game is an N64 game just ported over to NGC after all.