What's new

Anyone Willing To Do A XML Compat List for DeSmuME???

Low Lines

I have only just found out that DeSmuME is actually a lot further than I had thought. So far in fact that some games actually run on it now. Diablow has some screenshots that I think are quite remarkable.

What this little post here is about is that I'm asking if anyone is willing to take up the responsibility of a DeSmuME xml compat list like the one I'm doing for iDeaS. I can show you how to do it and it would also allow me to perhaps create a comparing thingo (yes Diablow, it's a great idea).

As much as I want to, one compat list is more than enough for me to keep track of especially since I'm also working on the Flash thingy as well, but I think someone should start doing a DeSmuME one too.

I'm sure Cyberman could open up another forum for it and another compat thread could be started too, there would just need to be someone to do all the recording and stuff.

The only thing I would ask is that they let me check through it before it becomes downloadable or whatever, in case of errors or other things.

So if anyone's interested, send me a Private Message so I can show you what to do. I promise it is as simple as I can make it and I'm sure anyone would be able to do it with little to no problems.

sigloiv

I might be able to do it. I wouldn't be able to update as frequently as yours, but I could probably do it fairly frequently.

As for the xml syntax, I could figure it out from your current ones. The only thing you'd have to do is make a modified swf with the DeSmuME name.

EDIT: I've got the main header info done, but (before I start) I want to know if I should do the ROMs in the order of their release according to Pocketheaven. I know that was requested by others (including myself), but I just want to go ahead and check with you before I make a major design change. I mean, this is your project, after all. :)

Last edited:
OP
L

Low Lines

Okay just stop what you are doing...
I am very pleased you are willing to help me, but I have changed to layout of the XML (which I hope will be permant from now on). To make things easy for you, I can send you a completely blank xml with all the games so far inputed into it. All games will be done as Not Tested until you change them.

THe things you would have to edit would be

Status & Playability

With Status you can write basically what ever you see fit to describe the games status, but keep it simple and to the point.

With Playability, you just need to put a number between 1-5, 1 being Playable & 5 being Not Tested.

THe only other important thing you need to what is whenever you use special symbols such as & and '. You honestly should need any other symbols, but with them you have to write a special identifier code so it knows what it is.

For & you write &

And for ' you write '

Otherwise when you load up the XML in you browser it say it has errors.

Games are sorted via their rom names, though this will not matter since I'll have an auto-sort thingo in place sooner or later. So it won't matter if you stick new games down at the bottom, (just make sure it's inside the compat tag) but keeping them aphabetical is just an easier way of finding things.

In case you didn't know, all information about the emulator can be change via the XML, (which is what makes my FLash thingo so great) you could write a compat list for just about anything and it will run on the database (provided of course you stick to the format).

Also, this XML will not work with the current release of the Flash, (mainly because the layout has changed) I'm working on it as much as I can, but things take time.

Here's a blank XML with all NDS Games at current Jan 25 2006.
View attachment 31046
And if you need any help or anything, just ask me!!:bouncy:

spotanjo3

Check this out. Ngemu got information from this author quotes:

Like yopyop mentionned on his website, he hasn't stopped working on his emulator. Focusing on getting the graphics to display correctly, more and more games are starting to get past the annoying black screen.

DeSmuMe's author's quotes:

Don't worry the project is not stopped but I have to close the forum.
Not enough time to answer messages and program the emulator.
And due to some request I don’t want to see on the forum.
Information will be find in the main page here.
Good progresses are already in their way ;).

Click each screen shots. He is amaze and very active on this project! Give him an applauding and congratulated him! :D

http://lusspace.free.fr/desmume/

OP
L

Low Lines

Yes,
DeSmuME is definitly going to go far, but I still like iDeaS better, cos for one, the menus are in english and two you don't have to stop one game to load up another, but I'm sure YopYop will fix these sorts of things in due time.
:bouncy:

spotanjo3

Hmm..author already have this in english version as well if you go to his forum but this time it's closed for now.

Yeah, YopYop will fix something have to do with steop one game to load up another. But this emu also have english version that he left it in his forum as well. Now, you will have to wait until it is up and running if he want it because he is focus on developing this emu right now. :)

P.S. Super Mario 64 DS is the first that showing up on his emu which is a fantastic. But Super Mario 64 DS logo is showing only on the top and white screen on the bottom. It is only a starter! EXECELLENT. Do not complaint to him about this cool emu, ok ? Leave him alone, thanks! ;)

Last edited:

sigloiv

Well, a new version of DeSmuME just came out...back to rom number 1...If anyone wants to do testing for some of the newer ROMs, I'm not stopping you. ;)

OP
L

Low Lines

That will be the difficult thing about keeping track of compatibility...
DeSmuME is one of those emulators that tend to update very often (at least for it's first few months) and it would be very hard to keep track of things unless you either have a lot of time on your hands or alot of games or even both!!
Oh but don't delete whatever work you've done on version 0.3, cos then we can do a comparison with it and the newer one and see how much it's improved!!

Last edited:

sigloiv

Crap...I didn't delete it. I just started modifying it. How about we make this version the base version?