What's new

Video Card Question

zackXmorris

I have a Duron 950 mhz processor and 320 MB of Ram. I was wondering if upgrading my video card from an ATI Rage Fury Pro to a GeForce2 MX200 64MB would have a big difference on performance when I use Project 64 or 1964. Also is there a big difference between the GeForce2 MX200 64MB and the GeForce2 MX400 64MB? Thanks for any feedback.

-Zack Morris

conkerman

conkerman
im not too familiar with the ati rage or whatever, but i had a tnt2 card, which is pretty crappy, and it ran stuff at ok speed. sorry about that
to answer your second question, the speed difference between the mx200 vs. mx400 wont be that big(compared to the price difference). mx400 wont be that much faster, and with both geforce's having 64mb ram, u'll be fine. i have 64mb and i'm doin pretty good, but then again i have a 1.4 t-bird
conkerman

Muletman

dont bother getting any of them mx200/400 lack all thats good about geforce2's get pro or ultra i got a gainward 2 pro 64mb ddr 4.5ns golden sample its as close as you'll get to an ultra and it cost £130 and that was 6 months ago, BUT if i was you id wait save money and try get at least a geforce 3 pro ultra or geforce4

rewen

Your video card isn't fully supported according to something I read a Zophar's Domain.

Most nVidia cards and the newer ATI's are good though. I use a GeForce 3 Ti 200 and it's great. I can get over 200fps with the frame limiter off in most games :)

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
rewen said:
Your video card isn't fully supported according to something I read a Zophar's Domain.

Most nVidia cards and the newer ATI's are good though. I use a GeForce 3 Ti 200 and it's great. I can get over 200fps with the frame limiter off in most games :)

Same here. :D

Slougi

Muletman said:
dont bother getting any of them mx200/400 lack all thats good about geforce2's
Actually the geforce 2 mx cards where the first nvidia cards with dual-head, so they did have some features that the other gf2's didn't have

Olger901

Banned
It HELPS

YES it surely helps. I updated my old Ati Rage Fury Pro 32 Mb to an GeForce 2 MX 200 and 64 Mb DDR Ram and it increased the speed of my games sometimes with up to 200% or 300% and all games work fine now and before I had probs with some games. Trust me It's really worth it. Also for emulation I have worked with my old Ati Rage Fury Pro for 2 years and in my personal opinion it's nothing but BIG CRAP!! So it's REALLY worth your money trust me.

Trotterwatch

One thing, steer clear of the MXs with DDR ram, they are in fact slower than their SDR ram equivalents.

This is due to memory bus constraints, the DDR versions always use a 64bit bus, whilst the SDR use a full 128 bit one. As DDR has higher latency than SDR also, then SDR wins.

DDR on MX cards is nothing but a cheap con trick.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
u might as well search for a cheap gf2 gts or gf2 pro or something....they can be found for like £30 odd more than an mx if u look carefully....

sk8bloke22

roll for life
oh and yes from an ati rage to a geforce 2 gts or pro will help u immensely, and definitely on ur specs. not only will u hav better performance, but pj64 will display the right textures and shit which probably didnt work with ur Rage card.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
sk8bloke22 said:
u might as well search for a cheap gf2 gts or gf2 pro or something....they can be found for like £30 odd more than an mx if u look carefully....

www.pricewatch.com

$37 - RADEON 32MB DDR
$339 GeForce4 TI 4600
$238 GeForce4 TI 4400
$79 GeForce4 MX 440
$77 - GeForce4 MX 420
$225 - GeForce3 TI 500
$112 GeForce3 TI 200 <-- I would go for this for a cheap mid-end choice
$179 - GeForce3 Deluxe
$142 GeForce3
$150 - GeForce2 Ultra 64MB
$74 - GeForce2 TI 64MB (-- or this cheaper low-end choice
$71 - GeForce2 TI 32MB
$85 - GeForce2 Pro 64MB <-- or this cheap low-end choice

eat_sleep_play

sk8bloke22 said:

www.pricewatch.com

$37 - RADEON 32MB DDR
$339 GeForce4 TI 4600
$238 GeForce4 TI 4400
$79 GeForce4 MX 440
$77 - GeForce4 MX 420
$225 - GeForce3 TI 500
$112 GeForce3 TI 200 <-- I would go for this for a cheap mid-end choice
$179 - GeForce3 Deluxe
$142 GeForce3
$150 - GeForce2 Ultra 64MB
$74 - GeForce2 TI 64MB (-- or this cheaper low-end choice
$71 - GeForce2 TI 32MB
$85 - GeForce2 Pro 64MB <-- or this cheap low-end choice

buddy, pricewatch is crap. its nothing but monkey crap. all the prices are fake, and all the items are not the real merchandise. that is why they don't come with the proper warranty. there is a very good reason why the prices are so cheap, they cut alot of corners. goto buy.com, in my opinion, its the best for just about anything i buy.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
ive neva used it. just looked at the site a few times....i was just giving an example, i live in england anyway, prices are different. i usually go to the local pc fair or CEX for any hardware...