What's new

Chankast on Xbox

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Oh God, not another one of these "ZøMG ×ßø× ï§ TêH ®ø×ø® 011010011" and can be powerful enough to emulate PS2/DC. Even if it could be done, there's no way it has enough power to emulate the DC.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
generalplot said:
Even if it could be done, there's no way it has enough power to emulate the DC.
Truth to be told. The Bill-BOX isn't some super magical box of tricks that can emulate ever older arcade or console hardware.

Jeez. Being a realist wouldn't hurt, now would it?

aika-san

lol. dunno if chankast runs on wine for linux. even if it does, you'd be looking at some really crappy frame rates.

OP
G

greasy lover

No need for the attitude. I was merely asking if anyone had tried. I havent and was just wondering if it was possible to get it to work or not, havent not tried myself I dont know if it does.

jessman(reborn)

EmuTalk's Own L'istigatore
Not that my opinion matters, but I think that an xbox emulator is the biggest dishonor that could be done to sega. This system died partially because of being able to simply download a game, so why make it even worse by playing a classic, almost forgotten, epic system on a crappy system that has no real substance on it (Oh, and kiddies, Halo 2 isn't even that good of a game. The only reason to even play it is multiplayer, and why pay money to have your ass handed to you by a bitching toddler?). Go ahead and flame away, fanboys...

OP
G

greasy lover

No I agree. While I haved played Halo 1 / 2 I readily admit while they are good they arent great. Still can beat PC for FPS.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
greasy lover said:
No I agree. While I haved played Halo 1 / 2 I readily admit while they are good they arent great. Still can beat PC for FPS.
That would depend on your PC's specs, wouldn't it? ;)

aika-san

greasy lover said:
No need for the attitude. I was merely asking if anyone had tried. I havent and was just wondering if it was possible to get it to work or not, havent not tried myself I dont know if it does.

This line is written in the official Chankast manual under the Requirements section.

As for the OS, you'll need Windows XP or 2003 (the emu will NOT work under Windows 9x or ME, 2000 may boot certain ISOs but we won't go into detail on this now!) together with DirectX 9.0b and a graphic card supporting it either from Nvidia or ATI together with their latest drivers.

A quick search for 'linux' on the forum turned this up:

http://www.emutalk.net/chankast/22295-devs-got-chankast-run-linux.html

Did you read the manual?
Did you search the forum for 'linux' and 'xbox'?

The answer to these questions will reveal why you copped some attitude.

Last edited:
OP
G

greasy lover

The reason I was taling about the attitude was not because I wasnt aware of what the requirements are. It was the whole 'its another xbox fanboy' thing. Thats not the case at all. Im as much a PC gamer as an Xbox gamer. I use chankast on the PC so I know how it works. Plus in terms of requirements seeing as an xbox is built and optimised differently to PC the two cant be compared in terms of speed when it comes to processing. Thus the reason why I was asking if anyone had it running succesfully or not.

aika-san

Fair point. I understand what you're saying about how the xbox is more resource efficient than a pc. The most influential factor for chankast is Mhz though. The xbox just doesn't have enough grunt for the job. I'm certain that Chankast wastes a lot of mhz and if it were more optimised then xbox may become a viable alternative.

The overhead of Windows XP is not as great as you may think. I'm running a P4/3.2Ghz on XP Pro. According to Task Manager, my CPU Load is approximately 5% while XP is sitting idle. That means it's only costing me around 160Mhz for the luxury of having XP there. A friend of mine is running XP Pro comfortably on a celeron 366Mhz with 512MB. Yeah, sure, no games, but xp itself is still snappy enough on this system.

What I'm trying to say is that removing the Windows gui overhead is not going to make any real noticeable difference to the performance of chankast.

As for the xbox fanboy thing. That doesn't bother me. I've never really understood the whole fanboy thing. The fact is that the xbox was a nice machine, just getting a 'lil old now. In fact most systems released were nice in their day. IMHO it's fairly immature to be judging anything by the badge that happens to be stuck on it. It's pretty simple. If you liked xbox games you bought one of those, or if you liked ps2 games you got that instead.

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
greasy lover said:
The reason I was taling about the attitude was not because I wasnt aware of what the requirements are. It was the whole 'its another xbox fanboy' thing. Thats not the case at all.
You have to understand, since 99% of the time, it is a fanboy thing, seeing threads like this one tend to set off the alarms.;)

NecroRomancist

aika-san said:
lol. dunno if chankast runs on wine for linux. even if it does, you'd be looking at some really crappy frame rates.

I've run Chankast on Linux with Wine compiled with optimizations for my pc and several other gcc 'tricks' and the speed is rather good.
I'm running a Athlon Xp at 2400+ with 768 ram and a GF4 ti 4200

aika-san

NecroRomancist said:
I've run Chankast on Linux with Wine compiled with optimizations for my pc and several other gcc 'tricks' and the speed is rather good.
I'm running a Athlon Xp at 2400+ with 768 ram and a GF4 ti 4200

The question I was answering was this though:

greasylover said:
Has anyone here managed to get chankast running in Linux on Xbox?

An xbox (not 360) only has a 733Mhz Intel Coppermine with 133Mhz FSB and 64MB (shared) DDR SDRAM. Chankast's manual states that at least 256MB of memory is recommended so that pretty much kills any possibility of it even running, let alone with an acceptable frame rate. It doesn't have the hardware required.

Last edited: