What's new

iDeaS Flash List FAQ

Low Lines

Ask any questions or problems you might have with my Flash Database. Plus anything that would be relevant to it as in opinions and possible improvments to it for future release.
I should be here (most of the time) and will be able to answer any problems, but everything in this thread MUST be related to either iDeaS or the Compatibility List. Otherwise I it may be removed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!!
Read the Sticky thread about complaints with games before posting anything about them, and remember that this is emulation and is still in its early stages.

LordAlexG

Could you put the xml file with the data in any downloadable public place in internet, so pressing a button the flash download the new version.?
I know (something of flash and actionscript and) that you can download and read files from internet, but not directly store data in local storage, but you can modifie and save an xml file (maybe i'm wrong).

OP
L

Low Lines

If I linked it up to the forum file (and not have the XML in a zip) would that work? I've never done any internet connectivity stuff yet, but I assure you, I would learn how to do it very quickly, as the search function I have added to the Flash was previously unknown to me and it only took one try to get it right.
But would that work?? Or at least be a temporary update location until more thought has been put into it?? I do think its a great idea, cos then users would only have to bother about updates to the Flash part of the Compatibility List and it would be up-to-date too!!

LordAlexG

Sorry for the delay on answer.
When you load an xml file you can specify a local file or an internet URL to the file, so you can load the file from a web, but you need a direct link and i don't know if the forum would work, but it could be.

OP
L

Low Lines

Yes, I know that I can just link it directly to a file say in this this forum, but I was thinking of perhaps a possible piece of actionscript code that would compare the old one with the one online and decide whether or not it is new/updated. Otherwise people could be downloading the same thing over and over without any updates. Unless of course I make it like an option, say a button like "Download/Update" if you know what I mean. But if this is to become an online thing, the concern about auot-matically updating/downloading the latest list can be put aside temporarily until later, since I would be focusing on the online version.
I'm glad that there's at least one person out there who even has the slightest idea of what I'm talking about, if there wasn't, it would be like walking into a dark room without a light and no hope of finding your way...:bouncy:

diablow

I think linking to forum wouldn't work, it is required to be logged in to download files. Alternative way would be using a free hosting site, to put the xml file for download.

OP
L

Low Lines

Yes of course, silly me!! I suppose I won't be able to do an auto update thingo till I get free web hosting then, but since I was going to do that anyway, it doesn't really matter I suppose. But don't worry, I will get an auto update thingo going later, for now everybody should just stick with checking my post for updates.