What's new

FF7 & FF8 for pc in WinXP

dweber5

I have Windows XP Pro in NTFS format. I used to have Windows 98 SE and have FF7 & FF8 for PC. I'm playing FF7 again for the first time in Windows XP. This one seems to work just fine, except that it crashes no matter what at the Chocobo Races (known issue). That's ok though, I found a saved game for right after it. So I can live with that.

My question is... does anyone know if FF7 works throughout the rest of the game in Windows XP? How about FF8? I haven't even tried FF8 yet in WinXP.

I was just kinda wondering ahead of time to know if I should maybe create a Win98 partition again in order to make them work. It would kinda be a pain, but I guess it would be a waste to have 2 great games that I can't even play.

Any info appreciated, thanks!

Dbzlocker

I havent played much of the FF8 of my computer <also xp> but it has worked so far. As for FF7 I dont have it for the Computer

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, Final Fantasy 8 should work in xp, as it did in 2k. I played to about cd 3 in win2k so i suppose it should work in xp too. As for final fantasy 7, yeah, it's a shame. But luckily I have a dualboot with win98 too on this computer. Also, there is a subgame in final fantasy 7 that doesn't work too (which you have to do if you want to process in the game) ...but i'm not sure whether that were before you can go racing chocobos or after. Check out ntcompatible.com and look under games. :plain:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Umm... there shouldn't be any problems, I guess. And since you say "known issue", what do you mean by it?

Parn

Knight of Lodoss
I completed FF8 once on my friend's computer which had Win XP, so I guess it should work fine with your system too unless your Radeon 64 drivers have problems.

As for FF7, I was really disappointed when I heard that it wouldn't work in XP. This is the reason I still have Windows ME on my own computer instead of XP.

OP
D

dweber5

Well, I just finished FF7. I had to download a trainer that I could use to get Save Crystals so I could save constantly because it would crash randomly. But the only part that didn't work was the Chocobo Races. When I said "known issue", I read on one of the Squaresoft pages that the races absolutely will not work in XP. Luckily, I found a saved game that's right after the Chocobo Races and I could continue the game.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
where can i get the geforce fix for ff7, as the gfx r screwed (i swear there was some nvidia fix"...