What's new

Quick Question

revl8er

That Damn Good
What is the maximum partition size for windows 2000 pro? I have a 320gb hard drive, and when I format it to install win 2000, it only shows it as 120gb. I can't figure this out, I'm getting another copy of win Xp but I need to know if it's a problem with win2k or my hard drive.

OP
R

revl8er

That Damn Good
I was wondering, do I have to use a different formatting software to get my full 320gb?

jamesyfx

Have you checked to see if theres any empty space left you havent partitioned?

Did you use all the available space when creating the partition?

Are you sure its actually 320GB?

Partitioning can be done just fine with a Windows install disc. Then you could format it within Windows if you've already got a Windows install.

Toasty

Sony battery
Windows XP SP1 and later supports hard drives over the 137GB limit, but IIRC, your BIOS also needs to support the high capacity. If your motherboard was made within the past three or four years I'd guess you're probably okay, but check with the manufacturer to see if you're BIOS supports 48-bit LBA (Logical Block Addressing). Even if it doesn't, there might be workarounds, but I never had to work with a BIOS that didn't support it, so I don't know for sure.

OP
R

revl8er

That Damn Good
I got it figured out. I had a copy of windows xp pro without any service packs so it had the 137gb limitations. After checking the disk management I made another partition with the rest of the space.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Huh? I thought xp, without any service packs, did not have such a limit.
I've had xp without any service packs for a long time with two relative large (180 - 200 gb) HDs with no problems, from what I can remember.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
IF I remember correctly, then yes. My two HDs have one partition each only. But that was long ago, and now I have service pack 2, so don't count on my information so be perfectly reliable ;)