What's new

Project 64k 0.13 graphics initialization error

Haze01

I am looking forward to playing online with Project 64k 0.13, but I keep getting an error when I start it up. I was directed to this forum to ask for help.

When I load Project64k.exe it gives me a graphics error "Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0"

I also have Project64 1.6 which uses Direct3D8 1.6 and works just fine and seems to play any rom.

My graphics card is in the Raedeon 9000 series.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the original Project64 works without a hitch, the there's something very wrong with the that 64k (or whatever it's called) version. Are you using the same graphics plugins for both?

OP
H

Haze01

More or less. For the kaillera enabled version, Project64k 0.13, the two setting options for video (graphics) plugin are "Jabo's Direct3D6 1.40" and "Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40", both of which give me that error.

For Project 64 1.6 the options are "Jabo's Direct3D6 1.52" and "Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6" both of which seem to work just fine.

It just occurred to me that I might be able to copy the working plugin from the one version into the plugin folder for the other. Doing so, it now does not give me the error, but did give a different error when attempting to load the rom.

Substituting the rom for another, it now works.

Thanks for suggesting that the plugins should be the same.

OP
H

Haze01

Darn. Now, when I load the project64k.exe it no longer gives me an error, but when I click "start netplay" it gives me that same error about graphics initialization. I'm going to keep messing around with things and will be checking back here periodically.

[EDIT] Got in an online game, but when it started it crashed project64.

Last edited:
OP
H

Haze01

Found this:

Known issues:
- When open the kaillera window, the following plugins will be loaded:
Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40 (Jabo_Direct3D7.dll)
Azimer's Audio v0.30 (Old Driver) (AudioHLE.dll)

Which means for some annoying reason it will load that troublesome dll.

OP
H

Haze01

Okay, "fixed" that by renaming my version 8 codec to "Jabo_Direct3D7.dll" and now I can play online. Jeesh. Case closed. Thanks for the help.

Red91st

Sorry to Necro-post, but I'm having just about the same problem. The catch is, the N64 1.6 doesn't work for me.

I have the same pop-up box, and ROM's won't load. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Haze, the reason why the Dx7 and 6 plugin in .13 (based off 1.4), is becoz those 2 plugins are written to use the 32bit Z-buffer.... which is no longer supported.

setting it to 16bit colour, would've let it work again.