What's new

Wind Waker *.bfn File Format?

Hosma293

Beta Quest Freak
Howdy all,
Does anyone know of a way to view these files? I'm guessing they are font files as the first 4 bytes are 'FONT'. :p
So, anyone have any info on 'em?

Thx,
Hosma293

PS: I've attached a zip archive with 4 .bfn files that I could find. If anyone wants to take a look at them, feel free.

EDIT: On further inspection of the files, there are certain MAP1 'Tags' (Dunno what else to call em) which look to hold Character data (Letters, numbers and symbols). There are quite a number of these 'tags' in the files. May be for multiple languages as some of the text is scrambled in those reigons.
The rest of the files may hold the font graphics data?

Last edited:

thakis

Yes, .bfn files are font files. They contain texture images with characters on them and tables which map character codes to texture coordinates (sort of). I wrote a .bfn-to-image converter, perhaps I posted it on the SZS thread. If not, I can post it here later.

OP
Hosma293

Hosma293

Beta Quest Freak
I dunno how I missed that file, as I read that thread from top to bottom. :p

Anyways, thanks to both of you! :D

BlueFalcon7

since were on the topic of UIs and fonts, is there something to view .blo i think i saw that somewhere, i heard it was part of the UIs

thakis

I started writing a blo viewer, but it's not finished...worked well enough to somewhat extract sunshine's hud (modulo transparency):
http://amnoid.de/gc/test.html
(this html file was generated by my blo viewer). If someone wants to continue this, I can post it, but it's really not usable for non-coders.