What's new

PS2 Controller analog help

Generalnoga

Hey, I bought a USB adaptor that allows me to plug in a ps2/psx controller into the computer, and it works great with the d-pad. However, when i press the analog button, I can't use it in P64. Even ZSNES lets me use the analog o_O

Help?

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
Did you map the analog axes directly with Project64? That could be the problem. What I mean is that you map the directional input using the actual analog stick. But if you did do that, there's not all that much I could think of - analog has always worked fine for me with other controllers, so it might be a controller-specific issue.

64fanatic

Here

I had to do this for my N64 controller adaptor:

Go to Control Panel and select Game Controllers
Then click on your controller
hit properties and move to settings
then hit calibrate...
Follow the instructions and save
Now try to set the controls in Pj64 again.
That should work

da1writer

Generalnoga said:
Hey, I bought a USB adaptor that allows me to plug in a ps2/psx controller into the computer, and it works great with the d-pad. However, when i press the analog button, I can't use it in P64. Even ZSNES lets me use the analog o_O

Help?
Few Questions:
1.What rom were you trying it on?
2.Can you use analogs on a different game?
3.What plugin are you using for the controller? I use N-Rages 1.83 plugin and it's fine.

I also use a ps2 controller as well (kinda, its a Logitech Dual Action, which is very close to a PS2 controller), if you want configurations for you controller, I'll be happy to give you them via a different thread.

BlackBeard

Buy an Xbox 360 controller for PC, problem solved. Or if you have xbox controllers already, cut and splice some wires into a Male USB cable (they're the same color so its really quite easy, yellow wire gets taped up and not spliced into anything).

The big hulkin old school Xbox controller (not the s-type) works great for N64 games (6 face buttons, all nearly where you need them for the correct layout. If only the white and black where larger and a bit to the left. But you get used to it).

I used to use a Radio Shack USB adapter, and still plug it in for SNES and PSX emulation. But for games on my PC and n64 emulation...it's xbox duke or s type all the way. The radio shack one worked fine, just needed tighter analog sticks which the PSX and PS2 sticks were deifnitley not as tight as the xbox ones. I still got my radio shack disk sittin right here, so if you wanna chance some different drivers with your USB adapter (not sure if it would work or not) I got em. They were pretty keen drivers too. But I wish more drivers were like the xbox ones (where you can assign any button to any function any controller could possibly have actually making use of the analog buttons on the ps2 controller would be nice).

MakaiOkami

I'm having the same problem he is (I think) I think the problem he is having is when you use an adapter and you try to assign the analog then it automatically configures it to Joy10 or something like that and you can't configure it to use with the analog. I found that the UltraHLE works perfectly with the controller BUT... It isn't compatible with many games.

da1writer

MakaiOkami said:
I'm having the same problem he is (I think) I think the problem he is having is when you use an adapter and you try to assign the analog then it automatically configures it to Joy10 or something like that and you can't configure it to use with the analog. I found that the UltraHLE works perfectly with the controller BUT... It isn't compatible with many games.

Well, If you read my post above, I might be able to help you out...
I Just require a few answers :p !

MakaiOkami

I'm not the guy who created the topic. I used a psx/ps2 to usb adapter and I was having the same problem

1. It's not the rom it's the plugins
2. He could use analog on ZSNES so that's not the problem
3. He is probably using default plugins for it or something that doesn't allow it to work properly

I know how to fix this problem though. If you download another emulator "Ultra HLE" you can just copy the Nrage plugin from the plugins folder to the PJ64 folder. This should allow you to use the anlaog and the dpad at the same time without pressing hte analog button to use one or the other.

Important note: It may give you pop-ups about bad plugins or other stuff like that but it should work anyway just fine.

Important note: Back up your PJ64 folder before you try my method JUST INCASE. I'm new to using PJ64 and so I don't want to mess up something.

The Nrage should be Nrage8 v. 1.61 or something like that. Give it a try and if that doesn't work then tell me and I'll try to help you some more.

da1writer

Why go through so much hassle. He is probably using the default plugins, which i myself can't use analog for some reason. Swapping to n-rages plugin fixes this issue right away, especially the new version not released in the current PJ64.
Here's a link to it and additional other plugins to try:
http://www.ngemu.com/n64/pj64.php?action=plugins