What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Graphics problems? READ THIS!

gandalf

Member ready to help
I create this because of so many "new users" that report graphics problems with rice video plug-in
The main problem it´s the video card that´s under the minimun requeriments.
Other reasons are video drivers problems or plug-in configuration problems

Video Problems FAQ:

Q: "How do i chek my video card?"
A: Right click in your desktop (or left click if you are using an left hand configuration), you´ll see an new window, you have there some tabs and you can cange your wallpaper, screensaver, etc. Go to Configuration and you got your video card there.
configuration4wr.gif

Q: I know my video card, now, how i get better graphics with it?
A: If your card it´s an integrated video card (Intel, SIS, Via, S3 ,some ATI´s), it´s nearly imposible to get decent graphics with those cards, they are under the minumun requeriments of Rice Plug-in.
If it´s an NVidia card (GeForce 2 and UP) or an ATI (Radeon 7500 and UP) you may try with older graphics drivers, they are the best for them.
You can try to "tweak" rice video plug-in. Try switching between Direct 3-D and Open GL, chage the combiner type in both D3D and Open GL and use the one that´s fits better for you.

Q: I have an Intel, SIS, VIA, S3 integrated video card, can i change it?
A: Yes and No.
Yes if your computer supports an AGP or PCI-E (PCI Express) or PCI video cards. Purchase one that fits in your computer
No if your computer doesn´t supports AGP,PCI-E or PCI expansion slots, this case it´s more for laptops users.

Q: I have an voodoo video card, how i get better grapchis?!
A: Use Glide 64, find it in downloads section or plug-in section.

Q: Wich video card should i buy, and which tipe of card? (all mentioned have 100% support of rice video plug-in)
A: From ATI(AGP):Radeon 9550 128MB, it´s an cheap video card with good performance.
ATI (PCI-E):Radeon x300 128MB (not SE, HM), x550 128MB (not SE) or x1300 128MB (still not SE or Hyper Memory (HM)), low end video cards with great performance in emulation.
PCI: It´s hard to find them, but an Radeon 9200 PCI should work fine

From NVidia(AGP): GeForce 6200 128MB, low end graphics card with great performance in emulation.
GeForce FX5200 128MB, entry level card (discontinued but it´s still in the market) maybe, the limit for great emulation performance.
NVidia (PCI-E): GeForce 6200 128MB (not Turbo cache (TC) )
PCI: Hard to find them, an FX5200 PCI will be great choice.

Q: How i know if my comp. have PCI, AGP or PCI-E?
A: All motherboards now comes with PCI slots, but it´s not recomended to use it for graphics, AGP it´s dead now, replaced by PCI-E.
Older motherboards have AGP and PCI slots.
Newer motherboards have PCI-E and PCI slots, and some with AGP too (for example, ASRock Dual Sata 2 for AMD A64 s939), here, the best it´s to use the PCI-E slot.

AGP and PCI slots (white ones, PCI, brown AGP):
agp.jpg

PCI-E (larger one) and PCI:
pcie%20002.jpg

Q: I have an laptop, how i upgrade my video card?
A: Nearly impossible. There´re some cards for laptops but yours must support them.

Q: I have an decent video card, but the speed it´s not good. Also i have an nice CPU.
A: Try lowering the filters (Anti Alias -AA- and Anisotropic Filtering -AF-)
check for viruses, spywares, troyans etc.

Q: I have an old GeForce/ATI card, gets the minimun requeriment of rice video, it´s showing bad graphics.
A: Use older graphics drivers, they are the best for them
Ex:
GeForce 2= Detonators 2x.xx and 3x.xx too, same with GeForce 4 MX.

I think this it´s all for now

Vanit

The guide is alright I guess... but it doesn't really address anything aside from hardware issues (and even then, its still a bit shallow).

Well, atleast Debon found it useful.