What's new

direct draw...

mesman00

What's that...?
wehter u have read it or not (i don't know), i am starting an nes emu. for me this will be one hell of a great learning experience, furthering my programming knowledge. i know it will be hard, so don't try to discourage me, it won't work :p. anyway, the reason i post this, i just want to confirm that direct draw will be powerful enough to handle the nes graphics? so, if someone could confirm that, it would be great. also, where do you recomeend starting. i thought that i would make sense working on the input first, then graphics, and then sound... or should i work on them all equally, at the same time.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
focus on one thing at a time, you'll get a better "high" once you can see/hear/type someting and it functions correctly. Also direct draw should be fine for doing a nes emu I do believe, but I do not have extensive knowladge on DirectDraw ???

Remote

Yes, it is more then capable of rendering NES graphics, as long as you are doing it the right way...you should start on whatever interest you the most...input should be the easiest thing to get working closely followed by directsound, eventhough I have never liked it... direct draw and core functions should take the longest time but the NES is very well documented...

And of course you should work on it at the same time... you do not have to finish sound and input before you do anything else but it would be unwise to do graphics before you have a core capable of running it... the same goes for input...

It would also be wise to spend a couple of days on the drawing board designing your project, if you have plotted down your thought you are less likely to get in trouble... You do not have to stick to the original plan but if you are planning on solving problems as you encounter them, eventhough that is the only way, it will be less of a hassle if you have a detailed document explaning what it will do, how it will do it and soforth...

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
does anyone know any good channels on irc for windows programming, or nes devolopment. or a good message board somewhere. thanks

Cyberman

mesman00 said:
does anyone know any good channels on irc for windows programming, or nes devolopment. or a good message board somewhere. thanks

What are you using?
Borland C++
or Visual C++?
There is a big difference in how the GUI interface is implemented :)

Cyb

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
Originally Posted by Cyberman
What are you using?
Borland C++
or Visual C++?
There is a big difference in how the GUI interface is implemented

i am using visual c++

Jsr

If you need any help about emulating the NES, may I be able to help you.

Just ask.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
Jsr, thankyou, i'm sure iw ill be needin help along the way, somewhere, sometime. windows programming is proving to be harder than i thought it originally might be. i plan on spending some more time on the api before gettin into the actaul nes. but, once there, it's good to know that you'll be around to help.

Remote

mesman00 said:

The people over at #winprog and #c++ on EFNET are more then willing to help as long as you have legimitate questions... I am still looking for a good DirectX channel so if you do find one please let me know... :D

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
yah, i already know a good amt. of c++, just not windows programming, thanks for the links.

btw, those 21 days stuff, should be more like 21 weeks, lol.

Dave2001

Ok, I wrote a NES emulator once, and I just want to tell you that you should look for a document by someone called "loopy", as it explains how the video memory is accessed. First try to get the CPU running though, it's a fairly simple processor (6502). Just tell me if you need any help :) I think I still have my old documents also, so if you want I may be able to send some.

Dave2001

Ok, I have some documents packaged up for you including the loopy and nestech documents, so whenever you're online I'll send them, but I think I'm going to be gone for the next few hours even though my computer is on.

Dave2001

Oh, and a quick suggestion: use 2xSAI scaling, it works AWESOME with NES since it has so few colors. (I used it in mine before I stopped working on it) I can tell you where to get this file too.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
thanks to all for all the help:
zero: i've already been to that link, have looked at some docs there among others

dave- anytime u can, please email me the package at [email protected]. also, can you tell me where to get the 2xSAI scaling file

thanks