What's new

Arrgh! my graphics card wont work with xp!!

DiamondDeus

So, get this, i install my shiny new windows xp, and when it goes saying that it found new hardware, it knows its a tnt 2 vanta, and trys to install the drivers, it then comences to say " a problem has occured while installing new hardware" and it remains in the hardware manager as "having an error". I now have windows 98 installed and its working fine. my system configuration is as follows:

-AMD athlon 1.2 ghz

-SIS mother board, with on-board sound and video

-TNT 2 vanta from best data

-256 mb ram (pc133 i think, but does it really matter??)

Now, i let xp install its own drivers, and have not attepted to install the board's original drivers, could it be a chipset problem, or problem with the chipset drivers? i have also tried installing the latest detonator xp drivers, but xp said they were not signed by MS, but i tried anyway but got nowhere, if anyone has suggestions of any kind, it would be much appreciated if you could tell me!!!:cry:

Last edited:

gokuss4

Meh...
lol it doesn't matter if they're signed by microsoft (its just a stupid little error that doesn't effect anything i wouldn't even call it an error i would call it an annoyance) well atl east for me, it says my sound card drivers hasn't been signed by ms but i still get really great sound.

OP
DiamondDeus

DiamondDeus

ya, i though they were doing that for their monopoly pourposes, err..i mean compatibillity insurance. well anyway, i installed them and it didnt want to recognize my card still, well it will, but it has a "problem" that it decides to not explain in any detail at all:cry:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, as I have no idea, I just know this:
Some things seem to have troubles with XP. They cannot use XP. The only way to solve this is to get stuff that is compitable with XP. Whatever that could be...

Also, if you have something from a company that is rivaling against MS, it's sure not to work :angry:

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
DiamondDeus said:
Now, i let xp install its own drivers, and have not attepted to install the board's original drivers, could it be a chipset problem, or problem with the chipset drivers? i have also tried installing the latest detonator xp drivers, but xp said they were not signed by MS, but i tried anyway but got nowhere, if anyone has suggestions of any kind, it would be much appreciated if you could tell me!!!:cry:

Even though that Driver signing shit drives me crazy, That Driver signing is there for a reason, XP checks the .cat file, the security catolog of the drivers & see if it is compatible. Trust me, you make sure when that comes up & says it is not signed. Install the drivers at your own risk. Because it might cause the Device the not work properly & trust me, I know.

Last edited:

RJA

The PC Wiz
Diamond Deus, you probably have this problem

Your onboard video is still enabled!! Make sure it's disabled!!!!
That can cause a conflict and cause an error installing the non-
onboard video card.

OP
DiamondDeus

DiamondDeus

wow, you know, i tried that, but my onboard video thing has no jumpers. i tried uninstalling and disabling it in the device manger before placing in the card, do you know if im doing anything wrong? are there any other possible ways to disable my onboard?

well, i recently tried a geforce 2 in the board with the same
results, so ill try your suggestion about dissabling the onboard, hopefull ill get somewhere.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Diamond Deus

You must disable the on-board video by the BIOS setup.

This, is probably not a Windows XP specific issue.

If the on-board is enabled in the BIOS setup, you will also get
an error installing the drivers just as well in Windows 98.

OP
DiamondDeus

DiamondDeus

OMG, W00t i solved it! my board automaticly diables my onboard, so that wasnt a playing factor, the problem was: the fact that the card had no F**king IRQ!! OMG! so ill i had to do was set it so the card is assigned an IRQ in the bios setup, thnx guys for the help and suggestion to check the bios setup!!!!:)