What's new

Wind Waker Saved game

Coco

I'm just wondering if anyone has bothered to transfer a WW saved game that is past the telescope and try it in dolphin. Right now i can play up to that point at anywheres from 5-10fps with perfect graphics. So I'm curios to see what would happen if we just loaded a game past the telescope and see how it goes.

If nobodies done it, it's something I might try to accomplish next weekend. I'm not quite sure how easy it would be to copy the saved game and make it work with dolphin but it should be possible consdiering saved games work now.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
I havn't really had much luck with saved games in dolphin :p But even still, it won't be just a matter of "copy and paste". Each emulator has their own system of storing save data, and there's a good chance it isn't exactly the same as the GCN does it. You'll probably have to figure out the format and write some sort of converter for it to work.

OP
C

Coco

I dunno, that doesn't seem correct to me. If that is what they did they are either overly complicating things for no reason. Or the GC has some sort of crazy copy scheme in place that prevents them from doing it normally.

I've done this sort of things with other systems like PS1 and such just fine. I mean the gamecube game isn't edited by the emulator. Therefor it has to write the data in the same way as it would on a normal memory card. It's not like the actual save data would be written any diffrently, because if it was the game wouldn't be able to identify it and then read it back.

The only thing that you really have to do is identify which part of the file binary saved file contains header information needed by dolphin and the rest should be exactly the same as a normal GC save. In fact there might not be any diffrences, depending on how they saved it.

Did they simply port the memory card function from dolwin? If so I might just look over there to see how it's working (since that is opened source). I hihgly doubt it's anything too complicated, I should be able to manage the whole thing in a hex editor.

Edit: I just gave it a quick glance and it looks like dolphin just saves the raw data, whichout any extra header info at all. In otherwords just dumping a memory card and renaming the file to match dolphin would most likely work. Although I must admit I didn't look to close.

Last edited:

CKemu

The Dolphin memory card is a raw dump of the memory 'space' in the card, with the header and footer information, and the other data stored on a 'blank' card. Saves you can download from say 'gamefaqs', or simply the files that are stored in the memorycards DIR structure compressed together.

You would have to program a tool to 'inject' the saves in the correct positions etc within dolphins MC, and change header / footer information to match.

Much the same can be said about PS2 saves under PCSX2, it's not that they use their own format, it's just downloadable saves are no designed to work with raw dumps of memorycards etc..

OP
C

Coco

Well, it still doesn't sound too bad. Basicly all I have to do is figure out the header info. Is that documented anywheres?

I mean essentially I could just make a zelda save with dolphin, then cut and paste over the dolphin created save info with a normal GC save. Then only edit the header info would need would be to adjust the size of the save. Since it's unlikely both saves will match exactly. I'll give it a go later.

Last edited: