What's new

narrowing down a graphics problem

Vchat20

ok. this is confusing. you know how when you get a corrupted graphics driver or something along those lines where some oddities show up on the screen such as slow screen refreshing (windows booting up into the welcome screen does a slow fade from black. switching tabs in firefox takes a few moments and does an instant but noticeable downwards wipe). well, im getting that now. heres the gist:

some time last night i ended up upgrading to the newest catalyst drivers (5.10 . believe i was running on 5.8 before). due to some programs i was running, i told it not to restart so i could continue using the computer. about an hour or so ago, due to some issues with my tv, i decided to pop my tv tuner back into the computer so i could play my dreamcast (otherwise i would have to play it on a small 5" screen closely resmbling a ps1 lcd). moved my sound card up to the second pci slot and the tv tuner is in the bottom slot (due to me not being able to find the metal back plate for it, the tuner sags in the slot and would have been touching the sound card. a big no-no). when i did this, the whole mess with the graphics started. the tuner seems to work. the drivers installed ok. although i havent been able to test it yet (dscaler gives an overlay error which i assume has some relation to the graphics problem).

is it the tuner or possibly the catalyst drivers? any ideas? i also tried reinstalling the catalyst drivers after the fact and still no dice.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

nvm. seems that a simple uninstall, reboot, install, reboot fixed it right up. back to nice clean graphics.