What's new

Removing a used EXE File

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hey everyone,

ok, I got a strange problem. Some days ago I searched for a free cyrillic fond on the internet. I found one pretty fast. When I downloaded the file, it was called bk1251.exe and I downloaded it unto my desktop. Now, I clicked on that file and a PKSX Extractor openend in DOS and extracted four font files. Those were the ones I needed, cyrillic fonts alright. When I was finished with everything I deleted the font (*.ttf) Files. But, when I wanted to delete the bk1251.exe I couldnt. Windows tells me the file is being used by another programme, so I cant delete it. I tried virtually EVERYTHING I know of to get rid of that stupid file. I closed almost all processes in the task manager, ran virus scanners and Spywarebashers, still there. Does anyone here have any idea how I can get rid of that file on my desktop? :bye3:

greets,

Talas

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Windows XP/2k/2003 tend to do that sometimes... You can try booting in safe mode and delete the file.

If the above doesn't work then this procedure will solve the problem (just be careful):
Open a window and go "tools", "folder options", "file types". After that click "new" and add "exe", click yes on the message and select "HTML document" from the list.
After that, reboot. Everything will be messed up but you will be able to delete the file.
After you delete the file open a window and go "tools", "folder options", "file types". After that click "new" and add "exe", click yes on the message and select "Application" from the list.
Reboot and everything will be OK :D

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
YEA! I had tried the safe mode before I wrote my posting but the second thing worked quite well. I didnt even have to reboot before I deleted the file. Thanks pally, now my desktops clean again.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
wow... changing the EXE thing doesn't mess up your windows? i find an easier way is just to delete it from a command prompt.... it has always worked for me.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You're partialy right zAlbee... It works most of the time (and it probably would on Talas' case too since he didn't have to reboot before deleting the file).

The problem is that in some cases the executables placed on the desktop are used by some windows processes that cannot be stopped every time the system boots, so you're not able to delete them unless you make windows stop executing executable files (or you manage to use a different OS to delete the files). :p

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
aha, so I could have also used the command prompt? What would I have had to type into it?

Jakob

evil *******
usually when windows won't let you delete a file all that is necessary is to kill explorer and start it again, it's a bug in explorer, this of course does not solve the problem if it persists even after a reboot though