What's new

audio

BlueFalcon7

i have been trying to play audio files from different games, so far i have been successful with F-zero GX and sonic adventure 2 with the .adx (i found a song from dance dance revolution on F-Zero GX) but does anyone know how to play the .ast in mario kart double dash, the .aw in super mario sunshine the .stm in paper mario thousand year door, or the .dsp in Metroid prime?

R-II

well as someone else discovered a while ago, when playing the .STM in raw mode with the right bit setting and sample rate, you can hear the faint melody among really loud static. If I knew more about audio I would investigate it more.

So far as I know there's no way to play (at least .STM) flawlessy now, but if I'm wrong, I'd love to see the tool to do it as well.

OP
BlueFalcon7

BlueFalcon7

i tried putting the IN_DSP.dll into the plugin folder to winamp, i tried playing the file and it said "thats a big DSP" and doesnt play, it might be because of my bad sound card (im getting a new computer)

Elpenguino

you've got the wrong version.
there are three different versions of the same plugin.
the final version, which is the one that was linked to, does not work with metroid prime. it does work with metroid prime 2, however.
the first version of the plugin will work. you're on your own with that one though...

slightly off topic, I remember seeing something about MP3 audio in sonic adventure 2's credits.

maickel

when ur not in youre OUT
i dont know if it helps anything..
but for the most idiot plugins for (mostly) all players try to find on the net for nimo codec pack and ACE megacodec pack..
DONT INTSTALL THEM BOTH !!
as i said..its just some help i realy dont know if it works..
gspot is a plugin in the acecodecpack..that looks what file it is and what codec youll need for that..

greetz

OP
BlueFalcon7

BlueFalcon7

i got the DSP files to work on my bad computer thx. but anthing on the .aw the .ast the .stm or the types in super smash bros melee?

OP
BlueFalcon7

BlueFalcon7

if someone finds a player for .aw, or .ast which i read somewhere that it was made for sound effects, please post

BazzatManBowlin

Bowling Dynamo
Mystery of the YMF format...

This is very convenient... heh heh.

While we're on the subject of audio formats... does anyone know of the YMF (Yukes Media Format?) files? After looking through the WWE Wrestlemania X8 ISO, there were filenames insinuating that the YMF is video and audio - 025_bg.ymf (BG music), and 025_ti.ymf (TItantron/video) for example. That, or Yukes renamed their audio and video files to *.YMF for some reason.

I've tried everything to get some kind of audio outta these files. PSound (v1.33), MFAudio, Cube Media Player, CinePak, the Cube Winamp plugin, GoldWave... you name it! I got nothin'. I will include an attachment... of what I believe to be the THQ logo video/sound.

If anybody out there can figure out the YMF format, I would greatly appreciate it.

OP
BlueFalcon7

BlueFalcon7

one thing you could try is using a program like goldwave or cool edit pro and changing the file extension and experimenting

BazzatManBowlin

Bowling Dynamo
I've already tried Goldwave. Haven't tried Cool Edit Pro. I could try renaming the files to audio/video formats that THQ used before/around the time of WMX8 (GameCube). *.ADS (SmackDown! 3) was no go, so scratch that.

Then again, the YMF format seems like something that would need it's own audio player (ADX for example). If I knew even a grain of programming, I could learn and write some sort of player/decoder for the file. I can't stand the trial/error method of renaming, using a different player, et cetra.

I wasted so much time trying to get the AIX files in Sega GT 2002 (X-BOX) to play. From a documentary (in Japanese) I read, AIX files are multiple ADX/audio files streamed together. Nothin' can play 'em. I had even worse luck with an audio file (ESPN International Winter Sports 2002) that had a common format with players out for it. Didn't work. Maybe it's just me?

Getting back on topic... I'll keep at it, and aim for results.

BazzatManBowlin

Bowling Dynamo
Whoa, thanks. That actually worked. Good find! Though, when I convert them to WAVs, some of the files are cut short. Any idea why?

themind

a.k.a. hcs
I'll see if I can figure out the workings of aix2wav and use that to export ADXs from AIXs, with the looping data intact.

OP
BlueFalcon7

BlueFalcon7

one question about ADX files, when i play the file on winamp and try to record it with a program like goldwave or cool edit pro, i play it back and it is slowed down, i know its not my plugins because it happens with HPS, i know its not my plugins because i have 2 different ADX plugins, one which i found on some weird dreamcast hacking site, this is also not winamp because that does not happen with MP3s. i can post the files, but im not sure i can post files form an iso

themind

a.k.a. hcs
aix2adx 0.0 is now up (on the in_cube page). I've only been able to test it on one file, so please let me know how it works on anything else you can get your hands on.
Specifically I'd like to know how it works on looped files, and files with more or less than 3 streams. Also if the extracted ADXs seem to be of a dramatically different size than the AIX that'd be something for me to look at.

Lightningxce

Messing around with Goldwave and MKDD today, some extremely interesting results.

I tested this on "COURSE_CASTLE_0.x.32.c4", which is Bowsers castle.

I opened the sound in Goldwave and set the properties to;

format9pi.jpg

Now after you do that, rightclick in the bottom lert corner where it says "Stereo", and change it to "Right". Now press the Delete key to completely erase the right channel, and press play.

It seems top be offset somehow, I'm going to keep working on this and see if I can find some settings that will work. I'm posting a link here to a WMA (Too lazy to install an mp3 encoder :p ) of "COURSE_RAINBOW_0.x.32.c4" (Rainbow Road) playing in Goldwave, notice a few things about it.

http://xce.et-mod.com/COURSE_RAINBOW_0.x.32.c4.wma

The pitch/tone is exact as it should be. However, the offset seems to be constant throughout the entire song, causing it to be played in "pieces", making it play the main tune slower. I think there should be an automation function to correct the offset....somewhere