What's new

Precision

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
So, can you at least help out a lil' with precision here? The precision is too bad using doubles (since 42 / 10 stored in doubles results in 4.20000000000002 or something). SO, I need a way to get around it. An own precision mechanism perhaps?

I need the precision because I was writing a little calculator for fun's sake, and for those, precision is a good thing.

zenogais

For higher precision floating point values you might want to investigate scaled real values. I have an implementation written as a C++ class that can perform most of the expected operations with 100% precision. For more precision all you'd need to do is increase the size of the integer or the scaling value. I can upload my c++ code once I get back to my computer. You should probably read up on double though, as it should have enough precision for just about anything, but there are also many factors (order in which operations are performed, number of consecutive operations) that can drastically affect accuracy.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

zenogais said:
You should probably read up on double though, as it should have enough precision for just about anything, but there are also many factors (order in which operations are performed, number of consecutive operations) that can drastically affect accuracy.
This was what I once thought, of course, but the following code made me change my mind:

Code:
double d1 = 42.0;
double d2 = 10.0;
double d3 = d1 / d2;
// d3 ~= 4.2000000000000000000002

Try it.

Cyberman

Doomulation said:
This was what I once thought, of course, but the following code made me change my mind:

Code:
double d1 = 42.0;
double d2 = 10.0;
double d3 = d1 / d2;
// d3 ~= 4.2000000000000000000002

Try it.
You've just made a very common error. Most calculator type programs do not use Floating Point. They use BCD numbers with mantissa for computations, and that is the reason why.
The reason you are getting that weird number is you can't exactly represent the number using floating point (which are binary fraction and mantissa) I could get into a long winded discussion why, but I'm not :D

Cyb

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Cyberman said:
You've just made a very common error. Most calculator type programs do not use Floating Point. They use BCD numbers with mantissa for computations, and that is the reason why.
The reason you are getting that weird number is you can't exactly represent the number using floating point (which are binary fraction and mantissa) I could get into a long winded discussion why, but I'm not :D

Cyb
Of course I did an error, since the result wasn't right, so that's why I turned here to get an alternative solution. I know nothing of how a real calculator works. Meh. Anyway, that link looks nice.... I'll check out that site.