What's new

TNT or geforce2?

carlos

sorry for not posting in these days (i´ve been busy).

i wanted to know wich graphic card is good for me. you already told me that the geforce 2 and you recommended the AGP slot.

well, in this moment i don´t have a motherboard with AGP slot, just with PCI... so.. i need to know a graphic card that could fit those requirements because motherboards are so expensive (in my country).

some friends of mine had told me that the tnt nvidia cards are obsolete, and the only geforce PCI that i found (on internet) was the WinFast GeForce 2 MX 64 PCI

but if you know a graphic card With PCI slot, that could give me a nice acceleration in pj64 (good sound and fast graphics:D )pleeease tell me....

bye

2fast4u

wot didya say ur configuration was? a geforce2 pci would be a good choice in any case i guess thou.

Remote

With the progress Dave is making a VooDoo card might be worth looking in to, I know there are VooDoo 3 PCI models and I am sure that someone more experinced in the field could give you a hint or two on what you should expect from a VooDoo card. A VooDoo 5 PCI should give you god performance with Dave's Glide64, a zilmar spec video plugin which used Glide, 3dfx's own graphics API.

2fast4u

Remote said:
With the progress Dave is making a VooDoo card might be worth looking in to, I know there are VooDoo 3 PCI models and I am sure that someone more experinced in the field could give you a hint or two on what you should expect from a VooDoo card. A VooDoo 5 PCI should give you god performance with Dave's Glide64, a zilmar spec video plugin which used Glide, 3dfx's own graphics API.

i doubt he would buy a gfx board only to run emus. for future games he is lost with a voodoo, no matter what.

EDIT: even for current games, i mean...

Remote

2fast4u said:

i doubt he would buy a gfx board only to run emus. for future games he is lost with a voodoo, no matter what.

He would not be the only one... and how far do you think a Geforce2Mx will last, did not John Carmack clearly state last week that a Geforce4Mx does not have what it takes for their future games, I can not see why any other games should be different.

Since he does not have an AGP the chances of him sitting on a fast computer are very slim, if not nonexistant. It does not mather what graphic card that he buys, in a year from now it is outdated. So instead of buying a slow, although faster then his current, graphic card he could pick up an used VooDoo 3, or higher, and enjoy it until he decides that it is time to purshace a new computer.

2fast4u

Remote said:

He would not be the only one... and how far do you think a Geforce2Mx will last, did not John Carmack clearly state last week that a Geforce4Mx does not have what it takes for their future games, I can not see why any other games should be different.

Since he does not have an AGP the chances of him sitting on a fast computer are very slim, if not nonexistant. It does not mather what graphic card that he buys, in a year from now it is outdated. So instead of buying a slow, although faster then his current, graphic card he could pick up an used VooDoo 3, or higher, and enjoy it until he decides that it is time to purshace a new computer.

i personally dont like to buy complete comps but rather one part at a time but we r running into a general problem with comps here that ur stuff is outdated a week after u buy it no matter wot u do.

since he has only a pci slot i would agree with u here. otherwise purchasing a better gfx board and taking it into a new comp would be better in my opinion.

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
2fast4u said:

:pissed: 2fast4u: please do not post about things you know nothing about, and i if you are going to keep saying those things about voodoos you and I gonna have a little flame war:pissed:

carlos: voodoo 4 PCI has all the advantages you need:

1. it's a good card overall
  2. D3d, glide and openGL support
  3. very cheap
  4. will run perfectly on both jabo's and dave
    [/list=1]

2fast4u

Ogy said:
:pissed: 2fast4u: please do not post about things you know nothing about, and i if you are going to keep saying those things about voodoos you and I gonna have a little flame war:pissed:

explain. r u here to insult me and not tell me wot is wrong with my statements? thats the way to go...:lookaway:

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
2fast4u said:

explain. r u here to insult me and not tell me wot is wrong with my statements? thats the way to go...:lookaway:

what r u doing going off telling ppl that voodoos are crap when u probably never had one?. FYI my voodoo 2 is still capable of running most recent games w/o any probs. not to mention my V5 which is better then all the GeForces and some GF2 models.

i didn't want to insult you but i just don't like it when ppl speak out of inexperience.

2fast4u

well to be specific i had a voodoo graphics, a voodoo banshee and i still have a voodoo2. so much for the inexperience. im using it mainly for older games that run under glide coz in all other cases my gf2mx is faster, not to mention the better quality. and since 3dfx is dead (may it rest in peace) there will be no driver support and no new boards. therefore for the future they are not a good investion. plus i already agreed with remote that a voodoo pci would be a good choice for him since he will need a new comp sometime anyway.

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
voodoo 1,rush,banshee and 2 suffer from a bad DirectX support and bad drivers. voodoo 3 also suffers from this but less, voodoo 4 and 5 have MUCH better drivers and never fail on any game/program. you must agree with me that the glide API is much better in terms of quality and speed(although it's *probably* dead).
yes the GF2mx is faster then a V4 i think it's even faster then a V5(not 6000 of course:D). the voodoos are all about bringing quality not speed (i think my V5 is only 160Mhz)

anyway when smiff comes he'll probably close this thread so just forget it.

Last edited:

2fast4u

Ogy said:
voodoo 1,rush,banshee and 2 suffer from a bad DirectX support and bad drivers. voodoo 3 also suffers from this but less, voodoo 4 and 5 have MUCH better drivers and never fail on any game/program. you must agree with me that the glide API is much better in terms of quality and speed.
yes the GF2mx is faster then a V4 i think it's even faster then a V5(not 6000 of course:D). the voodoos are all about bringing quality not speed (i think my V5 is only 160Mhz)

yes true. the dx support was bad from the start, i think mainly coz in the beginning 3dfx could pretty much rely on the developers writing their games based on glide. plus i remember dx5 shit slow...
i also completely agree with u that glide is a better api than dx, it has always been faster. although voodoo games used to have kinda blury textures bcoz they filtered too much. i cant tell about that with newer ones like a v5 though coz i never had one.

hell, they were great boards and i miss 3dfx...but for future im gonna go nvidia again, almost no alternatives besides maybe a kyro II. ???

Smiff

Emutalk Member
on what basis do you claim Glide is "faster" than another API? Because Glide apps run faster on 3dfx hardware than OGL/D3D apps? well duh, 3dfx designed both, of course it will run their own API nicely.

Glide was ahead when it came out in 1996 but DX has come a long way since then.. OGL has always been solid AFAIK. The bottom line is Glide is still very very dead.

There is no way I'd recommend anyone buy a 3dfx card, for one (major) thing, you've got no driver support (or support of any kind probably).

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
Smiff said:
on what basis do you claim Glide is "faster" than another API? Because Glide apps run faster on 3dfx hardware than OGL/D3D apps? well duh, 3dfx designed both, of course it will run their own API nicely.

Glide was ahead when it came out in 1996 but DX has come a long way since then.. OGL has always been solid AFAIK. The bottom line is Glide is still very very dead.

There is no way I'd recommend anyone buy a 3dfx card, for one (major) thing, you've got no driver support (or support of any kind probably).

glide is faster, i made many tests with many cards.

and yes, if i'll buy a new system sure it will have a GF4. i'm just saying that the voodoo 4/5 will last a lot longer then you think.

EDIT: carlos if you can find a gf2mx that is cheeper then a v4 then by all means BUY!

Last edited:

2fast4u

Smiff said:

in his case i think its a good idea since hes probably gonna buy a whole new system sometime anyway so he might as well buy a weak gfx card till he gets a better comp ... (on the other hand we just had that dell + rage pro thingy) .

Ogy said:

bring it fanboy :p 3dfx is dead, deal with it, if ur dishing out advice, try to give advice that other people without the 3dfx bias could use... the gf2mx is a very quick card for its price, has driver support that is second to none and doesnt leave u short changed... geforce 4mx is as fast as a geforce 2 ultra at all of todays games at a fraction of the cost...