What's new

The Mario Kart Project

McBain

I just created a new website (see signature) dedicated to improving Mario Kart. Have a look at our goals and see if you can help.

- McBain
- MK Project

hotshitu

Banned
Hey, great idea. It's just that certain thing's aren't really feasible, like how would you go about adding new game modes without a complete re-write of the original game? It's not like hacking a couple new levels into smb and or editing sprites.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck with your project (love MK64 myself) and hope that at least some of your goals can be accomplished.

OP
M

McBain

Thanks hotshitu :)

I'll agree while some of the idea's will be either very hard or impossible to implement, a lot of the stuff such as full screen multiplayer via Lan/Internet and original box mode is just a matter of fairly common hacks such as gameshark codes.

Some of the other stuff like Capture the flag I believe could be implemented using hacks as well. However I'd rather concentrate on the easier stuff first.

If your interested please sign up in our forum, the site just opened and we could use some member discussion about these very issues and how to overcome them.

hotshitu

Banned
McBain said:
Thanks hotshitu :)

I'll agree while some of the idea's will be either very hard or impossible to implement, a lot of the stuff such as full screen multiplayer via Lan/Internet and original box mode is just a matter of fairly common hacks such as gameshark codes.

Some of the other stuff like Capture the flag I believe could be implemented using hacks as well. However I'd rather concentrate on the easier stuff first.

If your interested please sign up in our forum, the site just opened and we could use some member discussion about these very issues and how to overcome them.

I think fullscreen for multiplayer is already in the works (Nemu) and about signing up, I don't think I'd be of much use seeing as I am a completey unreliable bum ;) and have pretty much no actual coding experience (unless you count some 6502 assembler hacking on the c64 ten years ago ;)+ my schedule in general is rather tight...

Have you asked any actual emu authors yet? I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out with anything within reasonable limits of course.

OP
M

McBain

Thats cool if Nemu is already implementing that, fullscreen was a large part of the project because without it most the stuff is kinda useless. I figure it could be done by either a gameshark code which already exists for full screen in multiplayer or by doing resolution stretching.

Thanks again for the feedback hotshitu :)

L

Lachp30

maybe your internet provider was experiencing tech difficulties and could not bring the page to you

2fast4u

the first post of this thread is February 22nd, 2002 ... i have visited the site a few times and as far as i can tell there aint nothing at all that has happened. i think BS is a good way to describte it.

Stezo2k

S-2K
yep some1 close this thread :p u cant work on a game if u havent got the source code, and if u havent u'll need hacking skills, and even with hacking skills i highly doubt u can change the cars etc in mario kart.

Stez

zero88

Proffesional Gamer
its posible.
i edited FF 5 for snes with my own characters
so.. it shouldn't be far too different

2fast4u

zero88 said:
its posible.
i edited FF 5 for snes with my own characters
so.. it shouldn't be far too different

dude, u are talking about modifying a few sprites in a 16 bit system. the n64 is far more complex than that...

Stezo2k

S-2K
yep 2fast4 u is right, dont forget the characters are 3Dimensional not 2D, its nearly impossible to edit 3D characters without a source code

Stez

icepir8

Stezo2k said:
yep 2fast4 u is right, dont forget the characters are 3Dimensional not 2D, its nearly impossible to edit 3D characters without a source code

Stez
actually they are 2d doom style.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yep.. DKR and MSW are mixture of sprite (wheels) and 3d (body), but Mkart is all sprite afaik.

Mayco

no, i know of that project. it isn't BS, i checked the site a few months ago and it existed. So, i think it is just a temperary problem with the webspace or so...

EDIT: but i'm not totally sure that the site was www.mkproject.com

Stezo2k

S-2K
LOL u seen the site it leads to now?

wouldnt mind mario kart 64 with a few more characters to play around with :) one of my 1st and fave n64 games :)

Stez

2fast4u

Mayco said:
no, i know of that project. it isn't BS, i checked the site a few months ago and it existed. So, i think it is just a temperary problem with the webspace or so...

EDIT: but i'm not totally sure that the site was www.mkproject.com

if u read my previous posts ... yep this site existed. i checked it as well, several times to be strict. interetingly enuff nothing happened ever. thats what i call bullshit. maybe a good intention, but obviously they promised too much. :sleepy: