What's new

I'm working on a compatibility list. Should I bother?

Allnatural

It's not as if we don't have some already, but I've been going through the WIP rdb, converting relevent text to html, and modifying notes for easier understanding where I think it's helpful. Since the rdb is generally the most comprehensive list of what works and what doesn't, I figure making it easier to read might help the newcomers. I could then put it on my webspace and update it as necessary, or give it to one of the admins for use on Emulation64.

Your suggestions are appreciated.:colgate:

Here's a shot of what I'm working on. In the past day I've finished compatible games through D. Notice I'm following the color scheme of the rom browser.:music:

Remote

Of course you should bother... :D And I see no reason for why you should not follow the already good color scheme. Perhaps you should work the design into a table with the following fields - File Name, Status, Notes(core), Notes(default plugins). And perhaps the text size is a little to big, but size does not mather...

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Sounds like a good idea, but you may or may not want to wait for the RDB update to be finished as lots of suff are changes and the exact changes aren't going to be documented if I understood the read me with the beta update correctly. But I'm sure you can work together with Smiff on that. You may also want to include a breif introudction explainging what the RDB is, what version you page is based on, and where they can get it.

flow``

flow``
go back the the previous thread page.. somewhere i posted "View here for pics of the RDB #101 compat list" or something like that..

no real need to convert it to html or any text format when you can take a nifty screenshot..

Smiff

Emutalk Member
1) write program to dump contents of RDB into table etc
2) add "show all ROMs" option to PJ64

both need some coding ability.

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Remote--->I don't want it to be an exact copy of the rom browser (or the rdb), people can get that by looking at the rom browser, but maybe you're being sarcastic.:sly: Anyway, I'm not going to bother seperating core and plugin notes. To the uninitiated, a problem is a problem, they don't care what's causing it. If a problem is caused by a plugin, and a future plugin fixes it, I'll simply update the list.

I'm thinking of grouping all games this way:
>Playable
>Partially Playable (games that are playable but not to completion, I'll need input for this one)
>Playable with errors (I might make sub-categories here for plugin and core issues)
>Not supported
>others??

The point here is simplification. I'm tired of posts like: "this game looks bad, it says needs video plugin where can I get that??? !!!"
I would rather just call a game like that Playable with errors (or Not supported) and change the status if/when new plugins are available. I'll try making the notes as complete as possible so people will know they are not the only ones experiencing problem x with game y.

EdgeBlade--->You can bet I'm going to include an introduction.;) Links to the latest rdb, GoodN64, and anything else that might help.

*note* I'm not trying to compete with anyone here (Smiff), I just want to help.:) This will never be as complete as Smiff's site.:colgate:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Allnatural i support what youre trying to do but i honestly think using those categories causes _more_ problems and is very hard to keep consistent PJ64 has vast numbers of users, as a fraction not many are having trouble i think...

however a list would be useful yes and im not going to do one so go right ahead :)

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Of course, I'm going on the big assumption that newcomers will actually read anything they're supposed to before posting, rules, etc.:lookaway:

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Smiff said:
Allnatural i support what youre trying to do but i honestly think using those categories causes _more_ problems and is very hard to keep consistent PJ64 has vast numbers of users, as a fraction not many are having trouble i think...

however a list would be useful yes and im not going to do one so go right ahead :)
You're probably right. I may keep the existing system, but I'll be sure to provide clear explanations of what each category means (not that your PJ64 help file doesn't already do that, but who reads that thing anyway:lookaway: ;) ) and I can update status as things change and new plugins become available . For games with problems (major or minor) I'll put complete notes explaining exactly what the user can expect to see when playing, so they'll know the problems aren't unique to them.

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

flow`` said:
go back the the previous thread page.. somewhere i posted "View here for pics of the RDB #101 compat list" or something like that..

no real need to convert it to html or any text format when you can take a nifty screenshot..
But mine will be 56k friendly.:p

Besides, I'm bored and I need something to do. And like I've said, I'll expand on the notes since the browser limits how much you can squeeze in there.:colgate:

Remote

Remote--->I don't want it to be an exact copy of the rom browser (or the rdb), people can get that by looking at the rom browser, but maybe you're being sarcastic.

Yes, I was refering to the post flow´´ made a couple of weeks back, where he submitted a complete compatibility list. But still, it is a good idea. A good, easily navigated compatibility list will come in handy, so keep the good work up. :D