What's new

Is this possible?

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Hey, I'm assuming that this is a stupid question but I guess it won't hurt to ask. I was just wondering if it would be possible to emulate a 3Dfx Voodoo card (i.e. Voodoo3) on a PC without one. Yeah, I know you're thinking that's what eVoodoo is for. No, I mean emulate the actual hardware on a pc with with no Voodoo card and be able to make a game runing the 3Dfx Glide API (i.e. Sinistar, glHexen2, Half-Life, etc) run as if it were running on actual 3Dfx hardware. Although this is nothing I actually plan on attempting to do, I found tons of 3Dfx hardware documentation here: http://www.falconfly.de/reference.htm

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
My friend, quite a few years ago, wrote something which allowed his 1mb videocard to emulate a 3D Monster Voodoo card. It was astounding. Must've been back in 98' since that's when FF7PC came out, which was his goal to make work properly. He had a Cyrix processor (66mrz I believe), 16-32mb of ram and some 1mb videocard. And he somehow got FF7 to work flawlessly just as if he had a real voodoo card in there. To this day, I'm not sure how he did it, but I swear to god, he got it to work just as if you were running on a P2-233, 64mb ram and a voodoo card.

So yes, given the right person, you most likely can.

ZeZu

yes, hardware emulation of the 3dfx chipsets is certainly possible, there are a certain few arcades which use 3dfx hardware ;)

Also as they pointed out, if you want to work at a higher level, you can emulate 3dfx's Glide API. There are many wrappers out there, some of them open source.

hope this helps

ZeZu

PS. MAME might be a place to look for lower level 3dfx stuff ( not sure if they emulate it right now but its likely )

smcd

In MAME I believe the Gauntlet games use 3dfx so that could be a place to start..

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Interesting, I never knew that there were arcade cames that used 3dfx hardware :happy:

Makes me wonder which ones use nVidia :cool:

Cyberman

I just remembered, you also might want to look at Mesa and Glide on Linux. Mostly because 3dfx opened up the source for operating there chips to Linux et al. The source coulde for the glide DLL's are around on the internet as well as the OpenGL drivers.

Cyb

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Cyberman said:
I just remembered, you also might want to look at Mesa and Glide on Linux. Mostly because 3dfx opened up the source for operating there chips to Linux et al. The source coulde for the glide DLL's are around on the internet as well as the OpenGL drivers.

Cyb
Yeah, i noticed that. I found the glide source on the link I posted earlier :)