What's new

Quick question.

Vladisme

Ok so i have an Emulator..
If i somehow get a rom...
is it illegal to have roms on ur PC??
just curious... cuz i was reading the contact us link on there home page.
and it said aksing for roms is illegal.. so yeh...

xneoangel

Persona User
If u physically own the game it is not illegal to have a rom of it.
i.e: if u own the game X then u can legally have the rom of the game X

Allnatural

xneoangel said:
If u physically own the game it is not illegal to have a rom of it.
i.e: if u own the game X then u can legally have the rom of the game X
A little clarification. This is debatable, but fair use laws state that you can make a back-up of a game that you own. That does not mean that you can download the rom of a game that you own.

Buy the proper hardware and make your own back-up - probably legal
Download a rom (regardless of whether you own the physical cartridge) - always illegal

The law is very murky on such matters, which is why we try to avoid the discussion entirely.

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
For an individual it's not a big deal (yes it's illegal, but no one will do anything to you) unless you are a distributor. If you share the rom, someone might come a knocking (and be able to sue you).. but the chances of that are so slim that no one cares.

But rules are rules. Forum rules state that you cannot ask where to get a rom or talk about where to get one in any way, shape, or form.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the main reason for these rules btw, is that if it was allowed, we'd be flooded with ROM requests, people would have trouble getting help, and probably the emulator would not have got as far... every emulator i know has this policy.

OP
V

Vladisme

O...
WEll i doubt any1 here is Distrubting them plus no1 is gonna b like "HE OWNS ROMS"
so then its str8?