What's new

Status Update 19-Feb-02

Azimer

Emulator Developer
This is an unofficial status update (IOW... it's shot from the hip... ie. no thought put into it). I felt it was better then going over a month without saying a thing to you all.

So what's up?

Audio:

After J-Bird got me interested in VC.NET (VC7) I decided to recompile my Audio Plugin under this new compiler. I the results were quite pleasing. The speed is at least 25% better then previously... and it closed the gap between my HLE speed and LaC's. I always knew LaC optimized his code a lot more then I did... fortunately VC7 did that for me. :) Unfortunately, it seems like it messed up some of my nit-picky timing code. So Audio is delayed even more. I fixed a few HLE bugs, including the Conker Dance Club scene. The next version is 0.50 (Audio 0.40 won't be out because the Beta 3 is good enough imo) :-/ The current Audio Beta is 0.40 Beta 4.

Graphics:

I have GBI 0, GBI 1, and GBI 2 done (WaveRace USA, Mario64, Mario Kart respectively). I haven't done much work on Color Combining as of yet because I want to get the texturing perfect first. I will either do something perfect to my ability or not at all. I guess this goes for graphics also. :) You will likely see the debut of this at the same time I release Audio 0.50. Current Graphics version is 0.01 Beta 3.

Apollo:

I have done small pieces of the Dynarec. But I haven't had much time to do anything else. I saw a need for improvement as far as plugins are concerned and I am currently meeting those needs. So Apollo is delayed until after my plugins are released (at least).

I am sure everyone is busy with school and such now, like most upper classmen should be at a university. I have very limited time to code and most of it is borrowed time. Some of that borrowed time I also spend here replying to messageboard posts. The internet is time consuming. I spent 25 minutes composing an email to my lady friend and then 25 more minutes composing this. I don't think anyone will disagree that it's time consuming.

I will leave you with a positive note. I thought long and hard about retirement from all things emulation authoring related. I decided against that and turned down an acceptance into a lil game-creating group. Although I don't find the time to do some of these things I love to do... I feel it would be best just to remain and do it when I have the time rather then forcing it. Every community has their ancient members who have been with it since the beginning, but I feel I would like to see how things progressed from the first PUR to the very last N64 emu that claims 99% compatibility with graphics and sound. The only question remains... is who is going to do all that work??? I certainly can't. I am too old to have time. We know the equation... time = time_in_a_week - 2^age.

Slougi

Azi, ur not the only ne having time related trouble :p

I have exams now, the next pj64 rdb update and cheats file is comming up, then there is social stuff, and i have no clue how to fit all that in. Currently it's on expense of everything, whitch means i get nothing really done ???

Eddy

I Run This
well good to know all this azimer :) im going to have to try vc7 myself. Thanks for the update

Allnatural

Glad to see you stickin' to it Azimer, though I wouldn't blame you if you did call it quits.

Good luck in all you do, emulation and otherwise.:)

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Hopefully this will show up as pictures eventually if I can get IMG tags turned on for this forum.

mk64.jpg

starfox.jpg

wcw.jpg

I have preliminary Viewport stuff done....
I have basic GBI 2 support (MarioKart, StartFox, WCW)...
I don't have much CC stuff done. I am kind of waiting for a solid day or two before I do this. It's something I need to work on solidly and get it done. I hate stopping in the middle of code, and in doing so breaking it. I would like to thank Dave for a helpful hint on StarFox's water problem. It seems to work out just swell. Also would like to thank StrmnNrmn for help with texture loading. WCW vs. NWO is one of the roms I really want to get working. You will find roms like these as my main focus rather then redoing Zelda and all that. I have a pretty good base going now where I can begin to just concentrate on those.

conkerman

conkerman
hey, good luck with the emu and the vid plugin. i got a question though, did u really talk to StrmnNrmn?? how is it with him, daedalus progressing? sorta OT, sorry
conkerman

Eddy

I Run This
wow i think the n64 gfx plugins isnt dying after all, icepir on opengl/dx, dave on glide, and azi on directx :) very cool. As well as 1964 ogl

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Strmn has been away lately... but he's back now. I asked him about daedalus and he said he's in the process of making some huge core changes. Any my plugin is OpenGL. Not DX.

nObedienz

thank god! an open gl plugin, not one of those pesky, slow dx
plugins, btw azimer i have a question for ya: when
did you start to code? or better, when did you learn
to code?