What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

editting shapes, not just pictures

su11y

hello,

I have spent the past few hours looking at various forums and websites looking for information and I thought this would be the best place to post. Please give me an intelligent response.

I see that several people have editted textures in MarioKart64. I have no real knowledge of how the coding in any nintendo64 game works. I am wondering about the feasibliity of redesigning a course in mariokart64 (by redesign i mean, make a course that is simply like a rectangular road or something, extremely simplified). Is this absolutely impossible to attempt? Could you please elaborate as to what makes this sort of modification of nintendo64 games impossible.

Thank you in advance.

Im Bored

lol@censors
Yeeeeeeah it can. For a start, you can edit F Zero X tracks. I laid down the basics a year and a half ago or so, with someone else, finding all the point modifiers. Its now being made in to a course editor, with .ips patching...Different game, but the principle is the same.

If i was doing this for Mario Kart...hmm. You could PHYSICALLY change the shape, as you could do in any N64 Game (a total remodel takes ages though..seriously.) but having track properties, is another thing, as this game doesnt use a random cup/spline system, I dont think. How you do it, is by gameshark hacking, finding the environment size editor, tracing back a pointer that is called there, and manually editing polygon data, which has an easy enough series to follow and figure out. And of course, you could take it further, and write these as a patch, for the ROM...time consuming, but im just here to say it CAN Be done. I remodel things all the time in No Mercy (New arenas), did it once in Zelda.

You can do it in Goldeneye, too. Well, they edited clipping for the Citadel, so logic says a remodel is easy enough. If I can get it running on my emulator I might try something.

Complex, not what you imagined, and not entirely worth it, but i dont like it when people say its not possible.

OP
S

su11y

Im Bored said:
Yeeeeeeah it can. For a start, you can edit F Zero X tracks. I laid down the basics a year and a half ago or so, with someone else, finding all the point modifiers. Its now being made in to a course editor, with .ips patching...Different game, but the principle is the same.

If i was doing this for Mario Kart...hmm. You could PHYSICALLY change the shape, as you could do in any N64 Game (a total remodel takes ages though..seriously.) but having track properties, is another thing, as this game doesnt use a random cup/spline system, I dont think. How you do it, is by gameshark hacking, finding the environment size editor, tracing back a pointer that is called there, and manually editing polygon data, which has an easy enough series to follow and figure out. And of course, you could take it further, and write these as a patch, for the ROM...time consuming, but im just here to say it CAN Be done. I remodel things all the time in No Mercy (New arenas), did it once in Zelda.

You can do it in Goldeneye, too. Well, they edited clipping for the Citadel, so logic says a remodel is easy enough. If I can get it running on my emulator I might try something.

Complex, not what you imagined, and not entirely worth it, but i dont like it when people say its not possible.

Excellent. Thank you very much.

I_love_Link

If you want to modify the games themselves, you may as well go the whole way and recreate the game from scratch. Use shockwave 3d or something, you'll have a more instant result and you'll probably have more control and experience less glitches too because you'll know your own programming n stuff.

Of course I don't have any idea how hard it would be since I haven't done it myself, but I'll hazard a guess and say screwing around with a rom would range from difficult to extremely difficult, for a limited result.

Last edited:
OP
S

su11y

I_love_Link said:
If you want to modify the games themselves, you may as well go the whole way and recreate the game from scratch. Use shockwave 3d or something, you'll have a more instant result and you'll probably have more control and experience less glitches too because you'll know your own programming n stuff.

Of course I don't have any idea how hard it would be since I haven't done it myself, but I'll hazard a guess and say screwing around with a rom would range from difficult to extremely difficult, for a limited result.

Heh, I think recreating the game is a problem because no one knows the real game physics. This is exciting though. I've been reading a gameshark hacking guide for the past 2 hours now, because that was the first step "Im bored" mentioned. Cool stuff.

Im Bored

lol@censors
Juuust to prove Im not lying, i found out an old mod I did for Zelda, back before texture modding was available. You can see that I have moved the triforce from above the door, to the pedestal. A simple remodel, yes, but proof that further things could be done, if you had the time. This said, it took me ages, as I was just beginning. You can also check out some of my WWF No Mercy mods, ive modelled the elimination chamber in to the game, made new arenas, etc (and not via the normal no mercy methods.)