What's new

Licence

fenix123

Hello!

This message is for Jabo. I tried to contact you trough pm but I seems that you don't read that.
I am working on new freeware frontend with some advance options. I would like to include support for Jnes and Project64 trough somekind of automatic update. Also I am writting wrapper around Project64 and probably around Jnes. So I am asking for licence permission and conditions.

Thanks.
Dino Ravnic
[email protected]

Jabo

Emulator Developer
As long as it's within the distribution terms of both projects you can do anything you like, I can't change those. It should be listed in the readme files of both respective projects.

For jnes, you can't modify the original SFX archive, or sell it etc, again all spelled out somewhere in it.

Last edited:
OP
F

fenix123

Idea is to make automatic update transparent and user friendlier. Also I want to make setup/installation wizards same for every emulator. So as I see jnes is packed as winzip sfx. Could I repack it to plain zip without any file modification? And could I remove installation program from pj64 and pack it as plain zip (also without any file modification)? I am asking you because you are one off the main pj64 developers, but if you can't answer I'll try pj64 forum.
Also one more thing. I am making directx wrapper around pj64 or to be more precise around your direct3d gfx plugin. I am using hooking methods to capture direct3d interface so I can display my osd overlay. End goal is to encapsulate pj64 win gui and display it trough directx. Is this ok considering licence? I am not trying to steel these emulators and claim them as mine. I just want to make same gui for all emulators supported by my project. I'm not modifing any exe/dll files. I am using my loader witch loads pj64/jnes and attaches hook dll at runtime.
I am not trying to make any money with this project. I will not sell it. Actually it will have similar licence as jnes/pj64.

Last edited:

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Making a Direct3D com wrapper sounds like it has more to do with Microsoft than any emulator, the project sounds cool, I wish you the best in that regard.

As far as licensing goes, as I said, I can't change the existing licenses for public releases, they are already out, changing them is not an option.

The executable jnes is distributed as simply has an embedded ZIP file, I don't see a reason to modify it, but that is at your discretion to respect it's license, as you can see there is always easy work arounds for things like this.

As far as PJ goes, it uses windows installer, which again, can support an easily managable quiet mode and doesn't need repackaging. Anyway this is not the forum for PJ, I don't like making this forum the poster child for private questions. I'm honestly not the one who handles PJ's packaging anyway.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
fenix123 said:
I am working on new freeware frontend with some advance options. I would like to include support for Jnes and Project64 trough somekind of automatic update. Also I am writting wrapper around Project64 and probably around Jnes. So I am asking for licence permission and conditions.

Thanks.
Dino Ravnic
[email protected]

I have to say i have read what you fenix123 and Jabo have written. Now to me the loader idea is nice but its hardly worthy of any repackaging or updating anything for it to use your loader Project. Anyone can simply go to Jnes and PJ64 main sites or Forums to get any new releases or beta files on offer and will be far more upto date then a third party updating site you would host.

But i would like to second the best wishes in your project fenix123.

OP
F

fenix123

Thanks guys for wishes :) I'll need them.
Automatic update is just a part of it. Here are few features that I will try to implement sooner or latter:
- making executables (with icons) from rom files
- skinable directx (latter and opengl) gui (customable for every emu and/or rom)
- build in detection for rom type, and running emulator for detected type
This project actually will be somekind of emulation framework. The main goal is that user could not tell the diference between native pc game and emulated one (from game configuration and running point of view).

OP
F

fenix123

Automatic update is just a part of it. Here are few features that I will try to implement sooner or latter:
- skinable directx (latter and opengl) gui (customable for every emu and/or rom)
This project actually will be somekind of emulation framework. The main goal is that user could not tell the diference between native pc game and emulated one (from game configuration and running point of view).

P.S. Jabo sorry for private discussion on public forum. It is hard to contact you privatly. You could send be your mail for future contacts.

OP
F

fenix123

This project actually will be some kind of emulation framework. The main goal is that user could not tell the diference between native pc game and emulated one (from game configuration and running point of view).

P.S. Jabo sorry for private discussion on public forum. It is hard to contact you privatly. You could send be your mail for future contacts.

OP
F

fenix123

This project actually will be some kind of emulation framework. The main goal is that user could not tell the diference between native pc game and emulated one (from game configuration and running point of view).

P.S. Jabo sorry for private discussion on public forum. It is hard to contact you privatly. You can send be your mail for future contacts.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Hey no problem :)

It's perfectly fine to discuss things like this for Jnes here, I just try to avoid PJ here that's all, thanks for being so cool