What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

New look for old games in Revolution

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Looking intothis link we hear that Nintendo is trying to make some old games look "better".

Have they seen how GREAT can look games with Rice's plugin and now they want to make something similar with Revo?

It's just a question... :blush:

Toasty

Sony battery
When it says the Revolution could make 64 games "sharper" it might just be referring to the fact that the Revolution can render at a higher resolution than the N64 could, hence polygon edges will be sharper and more detailed (as there are more pixels in which to draw them) when viewed on an HD-capable monitor/TV. It would be really nice if they went to the effort of remodelling/retexturing some 64 games though.

OP
SWAT_Marc

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Toasty said:
When it says the Revolution could make 64 games "sharper" it might just be referring to the fact that the Revolution can render at a higher resolution than the N64 could, hence polygon edges will be sharper and more detailed (as there are more pixels in which to draw them) when viewed on an HD-capable monitor/TV. It would be really nice if they went to the effort of remodelling/retexturing some 64 games though.

I'll just copy&paste (at this very moment I'm studying for tomorrow): "The company isn't new to visual remakes. In 1993, Nintendo released Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES, which introduced new graphics for the first three Super Mario Bros. games."

loopsider

I would say that is most likely either fullscreen blur filtering or a whole texture revamp. I say that because if they claim that the revolution will make games "sharper" various textures will need to be edited, such as text and onscreen-display textures that are all pixelated when emulated.

Or they might just batch process 2x or 4x scale and a gaussian blur, and you get significantly sharper pictures.

Kiggles

loopsider said:
Or they might just batch process 2x or 4x scale and a gaussian blur, and you get significantly sharper pictures.
Wait a minute... you're suggesting to blur something in order to make it sharper? :p

Nah. When refferencing 3D N64 games, I believe sharper simply has to do with rendering at a higher resolution. I can play Zelda on an emulator on my TV at 1024x768, while the N64 natively runs at... 512x###? Anyway, there is simply much less stair stepping on polygon edges. Same applies to any 3D games. Run at 640x480 and there is stair stepping all over the place. Furthermore many details, whether within in textures of tiny geometry can easily become "smaller" than a pixel. At this point it disapears. Jacking up video resolution aleviates both of these problems without interpolation or blur. I would still say increased sharpness isn't even accurate, because the only thing that is improving is fidelity, but oh well.

None of this is to say N64 games won't have additional video filters running. :)

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
^^ Actually, it was even lower than that. The native resolution was 320x240, or around that. With the expansion pack, some games ran at 640x480 e.g. Donkey Kong 64, Star Wars Racer. There were one or two that ran between those two, I think, but that's it.
Also, I think they were talking more about the NES and SNES games, rather than the N64 games.

j234

Not only will the resolution be raised, but they will probably use anti aliasing and anisotopic filtering to improve the sharpness and textures

Nin_10_Dough

I thought the real n64 ran at 320x240? it sure looks like it does anyway. I've had tv out running at 640x480 and it pwned the real system by far.

I hope they have another Mario Allstars, with revamped graphics. Have everything 3d, but the control style is still 2d (adventure mode in ssb melee), But stay true to the physics of the original game. I hope you have an option to play with the original graphics if you choose, and even the souped up snes ones would be cool too.

Clements

It will probably be the same sort of boost in image quality that was seen with the Zelda games on the Zelda Bonus disc for Gamecube. Definitely a sharper and improved picture.

Toast Siege

EmuTalk Memberr
the article said:
In that case, Nintendo doesn't have any solid plans, but says it's possible for 3D games to "look sharper" when played on Revolution.
When they say this, it sounds more like they'd be using some automated process to make the image quality better in general, for example FSAA or AA filtering, combined with resolution improvements (Non-HD TVs display at 640x480, which is twice the N64's native resolution. I'm sure Revolution would be capable of HD TV support for old N64 games, too.). It would be hard to make games look worse, at least.