What's new

New PC Time x3

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Get a Venice/San-Diego core Athlon64.. they scale much higher than Newcastle.. don't get a Socket754 combo either, not only are they only single channel parts, but the platform is basically dead, leaving upgrade options few and far between.. buy a Socket 939 Venice/San-Diego CPU and Board, shouldn't cost much more, if at all.

Depending on the brand, 350W should be fine.. (Antec, MDMM (rebranded Tt, I have one.. great PSU), Tt, Enermax, etc..)

Forget the TT heatsink.. they are crap for the price. If you buy the CPU boxed, it'll have a HSF in there.. and unless you're an extreme overclocker, it'll be more than sufficient.

AMD doesn't support DDR2 atm, and as such, your board won't. Pick this 1GB kit up. You won't be dissapointed; those modules can run at 500MHz at their 2-3-2-5 400MHz timings.. a first for that price range.

You'll also need a PCI-e GPU. What do you plan on doing with your PC? How much gaming do you really do with it? 6600GT for $165, or a 6600 for $112. Personally, the small price difference is very much worth it when deciding between the two.. definitely, the 6600GT is the better value.

Everything else on there is fine. Chenbro makes a great case, and Sony great optical drives.. no problems there.

Since you live in the US, order your parts from Newegg. They have extremely low prices compared to shops and even manufacturers themselves.. not to mention, great shipping rates and incredibly (<2 days) fast Fed-Ex shipping. Everything in my sig I ordered from Newegg, and shipping has never taken over 2 days.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
cooliscool said:
Get a Venice/San-Diego core Athlon64.. they scale much higher than Newcastle.. don't get a Socket754 combo either, not only are they only single channel parts, but the platform is basically dead, leaving upgrade options few and far between.. buy a Socket 939 Venice/San-Diego CPU and Board, shouldn't cost much more, if at all.

Thanks for the info, I will definately look into this, but it means I have to find a mobo that has everything I want, this was hard the first time.

cooliscool said:
Depending on the brand, 350W should be fine.. (Antec, MDMM (rebranded Tt, I have one.. great PSU), Tt, Enermax, etc..)

I think I have an Enermax now and I'm quite happy with it. I havent really looked at this yet though, its last on my list.

cooliscool said:
Forget the TT heatsink.. they are crap for the price. If you buy the CPU boxed, it'll have a HSF in there.. and unless you're an extreme overclocker, it'll be more than sufficient.

My computer is in my room, quiet is a must. Usually boxed CPU fans are noisy.

cooliscool said:
AMD doesn't support DDR2 atm, and as such, your board won't. Pick this 1GB kit up. You won't be dissapointed; those modules can run at 500MHz at their 2-3-2-5 400MHz timings.. a first for that price range.

I was under the impression DDR2 and Dual Channel were synonyms, I must be wrong. Ironically, I actually had that exact memory in my cart but decided I would ask first.

cooliscool said:
You'll also need a PCI-e GPU. What do you plan on doing with your PC? How much gaming do you really do with it? 6600GT for $165, or a 6600 for $112. Personally, the small price difference is very much worth it when deciding between the two.. definitely, the 6600GT is the better value.

$165 isnt bad, I didnt realize they were that cheap already. Last time I checked they were over $300. Of course I just now noticed the 6800 has been released, shows how far behind I am.

cooliscool said:
Everything else on there is fine. Chenbro makes a great case, and Sony great optical drives.. no problems there.

Yeah I really like that Chenbro design, especially the screwless part, but all Newegg sells is the Xspider II (which is ugly IMO) and I cant find that one anywhere. I did suggest to Newegg but that doesnt mean they will get it. The downside with it is no reset button but I can deal.

The optical drive, I just saw on Newegg and figured it would work and it was a cheap brand name, not much looking there.

cooliscool said:
Since you live in the US, order your parts from Newegg. They have extremely low prices compared to shops and even manufacturers themselves.. not to mention, great shipping rates and incredibly (<2 days) fast Fed-Ex shipping. Everything in my sig I ordered from Newegg, and shipping has never taken over 2 days.

Yep, always do go there. Also I'm gonna get the cheap $8 blue 120mm aspire chasis fan and the $5 red 80mm Aspire chasis fan that Newegg has, just to add a little flare through that window.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Eagle said:
Also I'm gonna get the cheap $8 blue 120mm aspire chasis fan and the $5 red 80mm Aspire chasis fan that Newegg has, just to add a little flare through that window.

Well now that I look at the specs, I may try to find something a little less noisy, but I would like to have lighted just for fun.

Question, whats the difference between SATA II and SATA 150?

Last edited:

blizz

My friend has that case. It's very nice.

I wonder when he'll get around to actually putting his rig in it.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK I changed original post, added the memory, added windows (as much as I'd like to go all linux, I'm addicted to WoW), added keyboard. Changed processor and mobo.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK final update until I get some more feedback. Tell me what you think?

dukenukem

lord freiza
Are you sure you want the 64bit version of windows?I'm not sure if there are alot of driver support for it yet but i must say that comp's looking good:).

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Let's see:

Case: I think it's fine...

Motherboard: Are you planning to buy a second GF 6600 GT in the future? If you don't you don't need SLI, then you can save some money buying a non SLI mobo. I think that the difference between the regular ASUS A8N-SLI and the deluxe edition, is that the deluxe one has better but non important integrated LAN stuff

Processor: Good choice

DVD Burner: I have the same as you, it's pretty good. however I think that there's a new NEC model, dunno about its price.

WinXP x64: Make sure all your stuff it's compatible with it, WinXP x64 is supossed to have compatibility with 32 bit drivers, but check if your stuf has already 64 bit drivers

RAM: Good choice

Sound Card: Good Choice

Videocard: Good choice, if you want just 10 more FPS at very high resolutions go for the 6800 (I won't)

HD: Good Choice! Specially because of the 16 mb buffer. I don't know if SATA2 drives are out already, if they are they should be indeed faster, but expensive at the same time

Keyboard: Is up to you :p

PSU: Correct me if I'm wrong but your 350 watts PSU should be fine.

Well Good Luck with your ne PC and enjoy it!

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, Nvidia and Creative have 64bit drivers. I'm sure AMD is built into Windows as is NEC, not sure about ASUS. Speaking of ASUS, new egg doesnt sell their non-SLI motherboard (a8n-e). I guess I'll have to go somewhere else for that.

I may have to scale back a bit, this computer is getting a bit pricey. I could probably drop back to the Audigy 2 Value, and the Venice AMD 3000+. The cheaper motherboard would help. I think I want to leave the Video and Memory right where it is but dropping those 2 back would take almost $200 off the pricetag. Also I might, for now, drop the HD all together, about 6 months ago I bought a 250gb PATA (I wish I had waited now) and I may just transfer that to the new computer, I still have a small 20gb for this computer. I may drop the HD and keep the sound or processor, I just dont know yet and its too late to think about it so I'm going to bed.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, I dropped back the motherboard and the sound card. I think the value will suffice for what I need and its priced $100 less. I think I'm going to go ahead with the hard drive and I'm going to put off the external devices for now till my next paycheck (though I may need a DVI to VGA adaptor till I get a monitor).

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK theres the final draft, the entire order is included there. Any final suggestions?

(I decided just to use my existing ethernet card, I have an old 10BaseT for the old computer, thats all I really need for it).

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
cooliscool said:
Everything looks great Eagle.. nothing to suggest.

Enjoy your new rig. :)

Its ordered, I did decide to go ahead with the Zgamer Audigy 2.