What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Another Video Card

ragnor

So I changed to a GF3: Ti500 today... but now after loading all the textures, PJ64 crashes. I used to get this problem occasionally, and the usual fix was to turn off the blenders and combiners... but there is none on, which makes this a little confusing. Any suggestions?

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
Nope. I have a GeForce 4 MX, which is worse than a GeForce 3 Ti500, and it has no problems (except for a water transparency bug, which doesn't annoy me that much because WW had opaque water). It has no pixelshader support, yet the plugin it works best with is Jabo's DX8 1.6 (??) which is supposed to be pixel-shader heavy. Anyway, hopefully Clements will come along and make everything magical again.

Kiggles

Make sure you are completely uninstalling the drivers for your previous video card. Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Software

You may also want to grab a driver cleaner that will hunt down and remove any remenants.

Furthermore, for an older card, I recommend trying out some older Nvidia drivers that support DX9 (since I imagine most plugins rely on it).
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
Newer driver releases have been known to cause issues with older cards. BUT, nvidia is pretty good with their driver support, so provided you cleaned out your previous driver install(s), most of the problems are performance issues, dropping framerates by 5-10, at worst. So try getting the reminents of your previous driver install cleaned before hunting out what driver works best for your card (as you'll need to clean each install with each driver you test. :huh:

Driver cleaning software-
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Driver cleaning tutorial - (suggests the above software)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=752253

Kiggles

Most DirectX apps are kinda whacky, no less. Lots of games only use DX8 features, but still require DX9 installled.

You probably meant most 64 emus only require DX8 installed, but might as well make sure you're up to date. Although, you do bring up a good point, and that some of these plug-ins don't readily support DX9. Or, DX9 doesn't readily support them. :D At the very least, it could cause some conflicts. Don't think it'll be a big deal. Deffinitely get drivers cleaned before worrying about DX, since that will effectively require a format.

OP
R

ragnor

so it's crashing less now. Nonetheless, I am still missing polys/textures, like I had problems with once long ago. It's really irksome, and keeps me from enjoying the game, when half the objects havea see-through side, or disappear. I thought it was just a blender or combiner problem, but it stays when those are both turned off. Lame.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Kiggles said:
Most DirectX apps are kinda whacky, no less. Lots of games only use DX8 features, but still require DX9 installled.
It depends on what version of dx they're compiled against. If the developers have dx9 installed, you need dx9. But that doesn't mean it uses all of dx9's features.

You probably meant most 64 emus only require DX8 installed, but might as well make sure you're up to date. Although, you do bring up a good point, and that some of these plug-ins don't readily support DX9. Or, DX9 doesn't readily support them. :D At the very least, it could cause some conflicts. Don't think it'll be a big deal.
DirectX is backwards-compitable, meaning that if a game requires dx8 to function proplerly, you can have dx9 installed and it will still work as it should.
There is no conflict in having a newer version of dx installed than required.

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
ragnor said:
so it's crashing less now. Nonetheless, I am still missing polys/textures, like I had problems with once long ago. It's really irksome, and keeps me from enjoying the game, when half the objects havea see-through side, or disappear. I thought it was just a blender or combiner problem, but it stays when those are both turned off. Lame.
There are 3 settings for the blender/combiner option in Beta 10, at least in "Current Game Options". One should be a tick, one should be a square and the other empty. Try playing with that, if you haven't already. No problem if you already did, i'm just making sure.

OP
R

ragnor

3? I have normal blender an normal combiner turned off, but... I don't know about a 3rd. Unless you meant the disable blender option... which screws things a bit more.

Last edited: