What's new

Missing most 2D Graphics

nes_6502

Missing 2D Graphics with Jabo Direct3D8 1.6

This problem does not occur with Jabo 1.5.2 (or Rice's stuff) but does appear with Jabo Direct3D8 1.6. (which I want to use for the 2xsai filter)

I have not changed any of the default settings.

Basically I don't get 2D graphics for most games. It doesn't happen in all games though. For example there is nothing when you start F-Zero but a black screen with the background music. No N64 logo. No title screen. If I keep hitting start I can get to the race/ All 3D graphics seem to work fine. It's tough to play games like Conker (well just annoying). There are no White text bubbles when people speak. No text as well...Well, no 2D effects (splashing in the water) etc....I also get the best overall performance with Jabo's stuff, so I want to stick with this plugin. I have searched far and wide on these boards but can't find an answer. Any ideas?

I have updated to the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and I have DirectX 9.

My specs are:

Radeon X800 XT 256mb
Pentium 4 3.2 Ghtz
1 gig DDRRAM
70 gig 7200 SATA Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro with SP2

Last edited:

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
I don't know. 2xsai is overrated; low improvement in texture for a hit in performance. I suggest to simply work with Jabo's 1.5.1 instead - it'll work better. You should wait to see what Clements says first though.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Are u sure you didn't change any of the default settings, because I haven't had any trouble playing conker's bfd with pj64 1.6. You might wanna try using different gfx card drivers. Other than that I don't know.

Clements

Interesting, your system should run the D3D8 plugin absolutely fine, but it seems you are getting good graphics with the older plugin (indeed, that's why it is included). This is most likely a driver problem, so reinstalling drivers may help or wait for a newer driver/roll back to older drivers.

The Super2xSAI option only really benefits games that use lots of 2D sprites or have large huds or maps, so it's not so bad.

You may also want to try D3D8 with the legacy pixel pipeline enabled and see if that fixes anything for you.

OP
N

nes_6502

Yeah I know. I shouldn't have any trouble. I run my video/audio to my TV and unfortunatly the text is a bit blurry (with S-Video). However, with the 2xsai turned on, all the text (well all 2D graphics) become 300% sharper looking. Text is much easier to read. A simple switch back to 1.5.2 fixes all the probs but doesnt give a hi-res filter option. Maybe I'll look for an older driver somewhere. Thanks for the suggestions.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
this is interesting, i did see this once (F-Zero) but can't remember what i did to fix it.. doh! you sure you haven't changed anything in video plugin advanced options? uninstalling and reinstalling PJ might be a good idea.
is it the same with older ATI drivers?

OP
N

nes_6502

Well, just to be sure, when I get home tonight I'll re-install project64 to make 100% sure none of the defaults are changed. I'll then post my results from this. I did try using the legacy pipeline (to no avial) last night.

OP
N

nes_6502

Well, I fixed it.

After doing a clean install the 2D was back. Upon investigating, I have determined it happens when the "Adjust game aspect ratio to match yours" is checked in the advanced options tab. Unchecking it fixes the problem.

Any ideas why that happens?

Thanks for all the suggestions! :party:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yup.. that's the option i thought of but didn't say because you said "I have not changed any of the default settings."

damned if i do and damned if i don't :p

it happened because this game doesn't work with that option.. simple as that.. i have some plans for better ui to avoid this trouble in future.. for now suggest leaving that off.

Last edited: