What's new

about the Rating system

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i think this could be useful in helping sort out which threads are worthy of our time and which aren't. i went on a tagging spree to see what would happen, i thought it might help to find useful info later. two problems:

1) anyone else think its ridiculous that you can't change your rating as more replies are added to the thread? a thread can quickly degenerate into total crap.

2) perhaps only allow mods/admins to rate? or, don't allow ordinary users who start or post in the thread to rate? otherwise people are pushing their own threads up -useless

3) move the rating selection to near the submit reply button so its more obvious and more people use it..?

well, i don't know how easy it is to mod this code and you've probably already thought this through, but anyway. i think we should give this some thought, i'd like to have some sort of quality control on the forum and also why not let people know when their threads are worthless (in a nice, non offensive way), to discourage spamming.

the other way to go would be to do away with a 5-star rating system and have way for mods/admins to mark threads "interesting" or "not interesting". again, the point of this is i need to use the forum when doing work on pj stuff and there's too much crap (to me) to wade through.i end up looking at the same bad info again and again. any thoughts please? i'd like a filter on the forum "hide threads marked un-interesting ", show only interesting threads or similar. does this make sense?

Last edited:

Martin

Administrator
Regarding 2) and 3):

We could also make it so the rating only shows up for threads with more than 5 votes for example.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
hi Martin, thanks for the reply, no that's not what i meant at all sorry (my bad i changed my mind half way through posting that).

i really just want a way of tagging threads "good" or "bad" and to use that as a filter later, for my own use. (whatever the name, there need to be three states, definately important, no opinion/unsure/unrated, and definately unimportant).

i don't particularly care for anyone else's opinion on a thread (except other mods/admins - e.g. i'd want Jabo to be able to mark a thread interesting and include those in my filter).

perhaps show this publicly, with the name of the mod/admin who marked it. e.g. a little symbol with float text ("marked interesting by Smiff"). to let people know we care about the issue. nothing flash or obtrusive.

this is more of a bug tracker/development management feature than a discussion board feature, so i realize i'm asking quite a lot - but we do use the forum like that, it's just not very efficient (not blaming anyone!)

could you do anything like that please? there may already be a feature like this in vB i haven't noticed?

the important thing is that it can filter search results & forum view. once i know a thread is discussing something that's already been covered in the documentation, or for many other reasons, i basically never want to see that thread again. do you see what i'm getting at? i think this would really help! if anyone can do anything like this, massive thanks, i have little clue about PHP or what can be done sorry :(

Last edited:

Clements

Yeah, some guy went on a rating spree and started to rate every single thread in the PJ64 forum.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
hmm a simpler way might be to have another private forum where we can copy interesting threads. problem with that is then we can't discuss them publicly :/