What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Kinda OT...Retexture PS One games?

isamu

Anyone heard anything on wether they will consider or have begun retexturing psx games? I would LOVE to be able to play Rage Racer with new high rez textures!!!!!

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
I think you should look into an entirely different section. This is the N64 section. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! :yucky:

Amon_Knives

Film Student
isamu said:
Anyone heard anything on wether they will consider or have begun retexturing psx games? I would LOVE to be able to play Rage Racer with new high rez textures!!!!!

The only way it is even possible for the n64 emulators is because of rice's plugin. Since rice hasn't done anything for a psx, it about 99% sure that it is not ever going to be possible.

jack

3x3cUt0r said:
not posible with the psx, sorry

How you know? They say 2xsai can't be done, it was done. They say hires frame buffer can't be done, and it was done. They say dc emulation wouldn't be possible on today's machines, it was done.

They say alot of things. By "they" I mean emu author's who only see things their way or the highway. It takes guys who thinks outside the box to get things done. Guys like rice and the dc emu authors.

Point is don't take in everything _one_ emu author says as a final answer. There just might be someone else who can do it. :whistling

jdsony

Interesting idea but it probably wouldn't be as big a fix as for N64 games. It could be done but someone would have to make the plugin first. Lack of texture correction in the PSX is a problem. It seems no matter what I do or what resolution I put PSX games in they still don't look anywhere near as good as N64 games. On the real systems playing on a TV they were on much more even ground. The playstation had games like Gran Turismo which looked real at the time and the N64 didn't have any racing games that looked real. When I play Gran Turismo in an emulator boosted up to hi res I prefer the clean look of the N64 racing games. Also the shear number of Playstation games would make it difficult games to be completed. I know that sounds stupid but with N64 the majority of people would have similar top ten lists so most of the best games will be worked on. For the PSX I'm not even sure what games people would choose to do first, I would guess if there was a poll the list would vary greatly.

My favorite game would probably be Castlevania Symphony of the Night so filters are the best option. I think a lot of my other more liked games for that system are probably 2D as well.

Last edited:

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
This is off topic as well, but ever since I found out about n64 hi res gaming, I've been searching for something like this for the snes; such as hi resolution sprites. I haven't found anything, so I was just woindering if anyone knows if such a thing exists. I can just see Metroid 3 remade with a 3d looking samus made from a 3d model! :drool:
I guess Nintendo has fewer but more devoted fans; LOL.

DeathFox007

It would really be cool to payz Gran Turismo 2 w/ new overhauled graphics. A real talented person can make graphics for it that can rival GT4

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
DeathFox007 said:
It would really be cool to payz Gran Turismo 2 w/ new overhauled graphics. A real talented person can make graphics for it that can rival GT4

I doubt it, most of the work in GT4 is all in the car paint shader that they cooked up.

Raziel

meh ?
jack said:
How you know? They say 2xsai can't be done, it was done. They say hires frame buffer can't be done, and it was done. They say dc emulation wouldn't be possible on today's machines, it was done.

They say alot of things. By "they" I mean emu author's who only see things their way or the highway. It takes guys who thinks outside the box to get things done. Guys like rice and the dc emu authors.

Point is don't take in everything _one_ emu author says as a final answer. There just might be someone else who can do it. :whistling
He knows cause he hangs around NGEmu where every damn PSX emu and GPU plugin authors said so, the way the PSX works isn't compatible with such tricks, even the almighty Pete (let's just call him that way :p) says it's not possible. http://www.foren.de/system/thread-t...videoplugin610-pete_bernert-41709-934500.html

jdsony

You don't really need hires sprites for SNES. It would look better but HQ4X filters are so much easier and get a similar result. It takes a lot of power to do HQ4X though, I'm not sure but I doubt replacing sprites would be any better in the speed department. Replacing textures for N64 games is more video card bound while sprites for SNES would be cpu if it is even possible.

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
Where there is a will; there is a way. I have the will... Now where is the way??!!!
Honestly I think it would be like comparing a n64 texture with 4xhq :yucky: to one of KMan's textures. :bouncy: I really don't think it would take that much more power.

Last edited:

jdsony

Although it could be quite cool, think of how much work it would be to replace every animation sprite in a SNES game. At least with 3D games you don't need to worry about the animation, only the character's texture.

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
I think if someone made a 3d model in 3ds max or something, they could animate it with ease, otherwise it would be tough. But thats all speculation, what I want to know is if this is possible/plausable and how it could be done, because I have no idea. I suppose the emulator would have to re-draw the sprites themselves to the new size, then apply the new sprite; this is the best guess I have with my weak knowledge of SNES emulation.

Sage Of Time

Mojo Man!!! said:
This is off topic as well, but ever since I found out about n64 hi res gaming, I've been searching for something like this for the snes; such as hi resolution sprites. I haven't found anything, so I was just woindering if anyone knows if such a thing exists. I can just see Metroid 3 remade with a 3d looking samus made from a 3d model! :drool:
I guess Nintendo has fewer but more devoted fans; LOL.
There really would be no feasible way to do something like this on the SNES.. Theres a lot of technical reasons why, which I won't bother getting into because I don't claim to know the technical specifics very well.. But I've seen this question asked directly to the ZSNES dev team before, and they gave a ton of reasons why it wouldn't work.

Theres a big difference between 2D and 3D systems, and while this could theoretically be applied to just about any 3D system, Hi-Res images are not that clean cut for something like the SNES. As far as 3D on an SNES game goes.. You’re crazy. No offense of course, but for heavens sake, that’s just not realistic in the least. You might as well rewrite the whole bloody game from scratch if that’s what you want to see.. And no one quote me pointing out StarFox, please. StarFox used a special chip inside the cart to achieve those effects, they aren’t native to the SNES hardware and would be (close to) impossible without that chip. Even then, nothing had textures in that game, it was just very rough colored (barely) polygons.

Last edited:

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
Sage Of Time said:
As far as 3D on an SNES game goes.. You’re crazy. No offense of course, but for heavens sake, that’s just not realistic in the least. You might as well rewrite the whole bloody game from scratch if that’s what you want to see..

LOL, I meant a sprite made from a render of a 3d model. I can't believe it! Just the thought of SMW in hi res (well done of course) sends my spine tingling! :drool: I can't believe no one is even willing to try. :angry: Oh well, it will happen sometime I'm sure, the question is when. :cry: