What's new

Pj64 is the best! However, some problems though...

Giggleface

Great progress! Wow! It's amazing to see Conker finally with pretty accurate lighting and shadow, Perfect Dark with Camspy / Nightvision, Motion Blur in Majora's Mask, Pilotwings w/o the shadow bug, and the list goes on!!!

But...

...a few problems I've encountered in my testings...If anyone has the solution, it'll be awesome!

Pokemon Snap: Even though I checked the copied RDRAM to framebuffer option in the gfx plugin option, the pics at the end of the mission do not show - I still get a corrupted texture. I can see the picture taken from the mission *flash* for a second then disappear back to its corrupted form.

Perfect Dark & Goldeneye: Sky is black (any solution to this will be helpful - if it could be fixed with Jabo's gfx)

Jet Force Gemini: Cutscenes are not shown in the proper aspect ratio - they are supposed to be in widescreen, but appear stretched to full screen in emulation - planets in the opening cutscene look *oval-ish* and not round

Pilotwings - A huge fan of this game...but...areas when flying over the ocean - ocean texture turns red (especially by the space shuttle launch pad), crashing into the ocean with a jetpack results in a weird cube with different colored sides, weird flickering of textures...anyhoo, works better than before :p

Keep up the great work! :happy:

Last edited:
For the skies in Perfcect Dark and Goldeneye, use Rice's video. I believe that it was Clements who tells you how to get it to work.

RadeonUser

Well the first two are known problems and are covered in the GFAQ (If they're not they should be *looks at Gent*). If they are in the GFAQ or have a note next to them in the rom browser then the problems noted are going to happen with the default plugins, period. So try out recommendations of users and hope for the best.

JFG... widescreen... Huh? They're supposed to be widescreen? I was not aware of this (nor anyone else I believe) so it was never brought up. If you can show us some shots of these scenes in widescreen (preferably from a legitimate source and from an n64) it will be added to the list (no guarantee of it getting fixed though, it's a very minor bug...)

Pilotwings... ugh... This game always comes back to haunt us somehow. I cannot test this right now but I (or someone else...) will look into it a bit deeper and hopefully get an answer to that.

By the way... its always a good idea to post your computer's specs and what plugins / settings you are using when asking for help. This is moreso true with the D3D8 plugin since it uses pixel shaders for more advanced effects.

gandalf

Member ready to help
yeah, cutscenes in JFG are in widescreen (i saw it on real N64)....in some older versions of jabo´s the widescreen appears but wrongly (half of the screen black and another half the cutscene)

OP
G

Giggleface

Yea! I figured out how to make Widescreen work in Jet Force Gemini! I think this looks accurate! :bouncy:

1) First of all, go in game, select Widescreen in the Options...
2) ...then in Jabo's new Directx 8 Gfx plugin, select one of the widescreen resolutions (avail only in windowed mode) in the first tab...this would stretch the image to widescreen.
3) Do not "match the game aspect ratio to suit yours" in the second gfx tab as this option would retain the distorted squashed image - (this option only expands the camera viewport to give standard full screen games a widescreen look by showing more on the sides)
4) The widescreen resolutions are not avail in full screen, so play this only in windowed mode.
5) Yea! The planets look round now! :happy:

Attached are images of Jet Force Gemini in Widescreen, from Gamespot...
*Edit* Added comparison screenshots from Pj64 attached in a post below!

Btw...thanks for the reply about the Perfect Dark / Goldeneye sky...

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok, i'm going into unknown territory here as i've just realized some of this stuff has changed since 1.5 (widescreen windowed modes?! jabo you sexy dog)

first, the modes in the fullscreen list (fullscreen only) are detected from your system. so if you add custom resolutions to windows e.g. with powerstrip, they should show up. whether or not you can do this depends on your drivers, my Radeon ones definately can because i do this for HTPC use. so you *can* in theory use this trick fullscreen.

second, the plugin must be detecting the res wrong if you have to stretch it using one of those modes. so there is a real plugin issue here, what you have is just a workaround (but if you like it, great - i think its going to mess the rest of the game, and every other game up!).

are you using the PAL or US/JAP version of this game? this is important to know.

having resolution options in the game only complicates it more.. this will take a while to sort out. and that "adjust game aspect..." option does.. i've missed a load of development here :huh:

btw did i ever tell everyone that the PAL version of this game crashes on the real N64 in the same place as in PJ64? i found that some time after i buggered off. maybe there's been a good dump by now.

Last edited:
OP
G

Giggleface

Smiff said:
second, the plugin must be detecting the res wrong if you have to stretch it using one of those modes. so there is a real plugin issue here, what you have is just a workaround (but if you like it, great - i think its going to mess the rest of the game, and every other game up!).
On a real N64 (or Gamecube), Widescreen squishes the image horizonally (so characters somewhat distorted and skinny and planets look oval) On the Gamecube, Star Fox Adventures (game by Rare) had a widescreen mode that did this. It is designed for ppl with Plasma TV's to adjust the aspect ratio to "Stretched". Since the signal is not Progressive Scan, just regular Square-Shaped, the image has to be stretched to widescreen. (No, I don't have a plasma TV, but I tried using one before) :plain: I think the windowed mode stretching is intensional. To make a regular full screen game look widescreen without distortion, enable *both* the widescreen resolution in the first tab and the match aspect ratio option in the second tab. This would properly expand the viewport to see more on the sides, but might cause problems as the game is not widescreen to begin with.

Smiff said:
are you using the PAL or US/JAP version of this game? this is important to know.
As of Pj64 1.5, the cracked version of the game is not required, just the (U!)

Smiff said:
having resolution options in the game only complicates it more.. this will take a while to sort out. and that "adjust game aspect..." option does.. i've missed a load of development here :huh:
I think its nice to have 2 widescreen options, one to stretch and one to expand viewport (simulated widescreen)
Smiff said:
btw did i ever tell everyone that the PAL version of this game crashes on the real N64 in the same place as in PJ64? i found that some time after i buggered off. maybe there's been a good dump by now.
I haven't played much of this game...where does it crash?

I'll post pictures of the awesome new widescreen mode later! Yeah! :happy:

Last edited:
OP
G

Giggleface

Screenshots added! Yea!

1) JFG w/o widescreen windowed resolution (normal) note: planet is oval
2) JFG with widescreen windowed resolution, in-game set to widescreen - yea - round planet
3) JFG
4) JFG
5) Zelda 64 normal
6) Zelda 64 with widescreen windowed resolution and adjust game aspect ratio checked
7) Zelda Majora's Mask Normal
8) Zelda Majora's Mask with widescreen windowed resolution and adjust game aspect ratio checked - super widescreen! Yea!

mabauti

She's my g/f \/
A perfect solution to Giggle Face

Yo Giggle Face, I have the perfect solution for your N64 games :

Buy an original & complete Nintendo 64!

Trotterwatch

Mabauti, that isn't really needed. To be fair, Giggleface was not being rude nor demanding in his comments, so doesn't deserve a sarcastic reaction (we save them for the eijits, y'know).

Smiff

Emutalk Member
don't attack Giggleface, he was being helpful, and correct, unlike me at 2AM (Sorry for the last post, it was bad!)

let's clarify.

If a game is *not* in its widescreen mode, and the plugin is in a standard 4:3 resolution, *and* the aspect is wrong - there's a plugin issue here. i believe that's the case here with JFG, correct? (and is it only during those cutscenes or is it the whole game having the wrong aspect?)

If a game is in widescreen mode, and the plugin is in a widescreen resolution, and the aspect is correct - the plugin is working correctly *in this case*.

What i should have said was that the aspect should be correct in both cases above, and apparently it's only correct in the latter, so we do have a resolution detection problem in the plugin in JFG (if the information in this thread is correct - i haven't tried JFG on v1.6 yet). I'm making the assumption Jabo wants games with widescreen options to be detected properly in both widescreen and non-widescreen modes. edit: actually wait, both options *are* needed for people on both 16:9 and 4:3 displays to be sure of having correct display in games that support widescreen, doh!

Giggleface is right that what N64 games do if you choose widescreen in them is to anamorphically squeeze the image (compress horizontaly) so that it will look right after your TV (or in this case, plugin) unsqueezes it. this is slightly un-obvious.

Would it be nice to have letterbox option in the plugin to correct the aspect for games in widescreen mode on a 4:3 monitor? edit: no, i think it's pointless, because the graphics are (mainly) HLEd - this would only be needed if the game does something *more* than just upping the resolution, e.g. adding more effects, if any do this. otherwise, just don't choose the widescreen mode. i'm sure jabo has thought all this through.

As of Pj64 1.5, the cracked version of the game is not required, just the (U!)
I know, I was around for that. I take it that everyone is using the (U) version ROM then? The PAL release of JFG that was available for years crashed during the intro, it was unavoidable. we had this down as a PJ64 core issue when it wasn't. has there been a new PAL release of this game? when dealing with resolution issues we must check which region of the game you talking about, becase Rare tended to convert their games properly for PAL, meaning the resolution was different.

To make a regular full screen game look widescreen without distortion, enable *both* the widescreen resolution in the first tab and the match aspect ratio option in the second tab. This would properly expand the viewport to see more on the sides, but might cause problems as the game is not widescreen to begin with.

This option i don't understand, i must talk to Jabo before i talk any more on this and risk confusing everybody (must! must!). It seems too good to be true :D

Giggleface, for your first JFG pic above, did you have widescreen in the game on? if not, the plugin is getting it wrong.

Last edited:

Tweichzt

OMG FURRY LOLZ
mabauti said:
Yo Giggle Face, I have the perfect solution for your N64 games :

Buy an original & complete Nintendo 64!
Yeah you can get a n64 game in any store nowadays :ermm:

jdsony

What the F***? I didn't know you could do widescreen now. I will have to try this when I get home. It even works for Zelda which wasn't widescreen in the first place? That's weird. If anyone needs pictures of the real JFG in 16:9 and 4:3 I can take some tommorow on my tv.

edit: ahh powerstrip, of course. I never thought to use it for that. I'll give that a try.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
(had this post saved for a couple of days for ET to come back up!)

i checked out JFG and it does seem to be cutscenes only that are detected wrong. widescreen on in game+widescreen resolution in plugin looks good, widescreen off in game plus 4:3 resolution in plugin also looks good. i don't think we need to be getting our panties in a twist over this. jabo probably knows all about it, if not, its worth a quick note at least. this could be a problem on the n64, can someone confirm that in game widescreen setting is respected in the cutscenes, i haven't got my n64 set up atm.

also i'm planning on adding this to the manual based on my hour of fiddling (ooh err) (anyone correct this if it's wrong!)

"adjust game aspect ratio to match yours
if you enable this option, the plugin attempts to give you a proper, undistorted (1:1 PAR, 16:9 DAR) widescreen display on games that do not support widescreen (do not have a widescreen option). there are only two ways the emulator could do this: one is to cut a strip off the top and bottom of the game - clearly not acceptable as e.g. you will lose the HUD. the other way, and what is done, is to show you some extra parts of the game on the left and right, that would normally have been cut away. you must understand that the game programmers never intended you to see this area, so it can lead to glitches (typically objects disappearing near the sides) examples of games that work well with this option are: zelda. example of games that work but have issues: Mario64 - objects disappear in the edge regions. example of game that has serious problems: f-zerox. the camera goes crazy."

add to Glossary:
PAR= Pixel Aspect Ratio. normally 1:1 = square pixels
DAR= Display Aspect Ratio. 4:3= conventional display, 16:9= typical widescreen display

personally i would have liked this option to be remembered per ROM.

Last edited:

gamer1

too dark

sometimes there are places which are too dark and i cant see properly. For example in zelda oot after i defeat the three scrubs and continue to the next door to defeat Queen Gohma, the place is to dark and so i cant figure out what to do next.
Now i tried to generate a bitmap to show to you but as i clicked 'generate bitmap' it gave me an error that the program had performed an illegal operation. so i cant show an screenshot of it.
please help :cry: , i dont want to stop playing zelda oot

Smiff

Emutalk Member
gamer1 said:
sometimes there are places which are too dark and i cant see properly. For example in zelda oot after i defeat the three scrubs and continue to the next door to defeat Queen Gohma, the place is to dark and so i cant figure out what to do next.
Now i tried to generate a bitmap to show to you but as i clicked 'generate bitmap' it gave me an error that the program had performed an illegal operation. so i cant show an screenshot of it.
please help :cry: , i dont want to stop playing zelda oot

you've got 3 options (at least)

1) use your monitor controls - easiest
2) use your graphics card controls (if drivers support, has advantage that profiles can be set just for pj64)
3) use something like powerstrip (ditto and works on almost all graphics cards but is shareware)
4) use the plugin brightness slider (not recommended, causes issues)
5) erm, close the curtains? :p (and talk like golem)

Last edited: