What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Thread resurrection: Remodel Zelda

Amon_Knives

Film Student
I know I'm reviving several month old (or some years old) threads, but I was wondering if anyone is still doing any remodeling stuff. There was a plugin a while back that could export 3d models from the games, but then it was stopped because of too many bugs (I think). Is it even possible to import new models into the game? The picture below is from a member by the name of Pogo and he worked on this a while back before this retexture stuff was even started. He then trashed the stuff because it was too hard for him. If you could imagine this with the new retexture things, it would be amazing. Is anyone still working with that old 3d plugin exporter and if so, I would like it if the 3d remodeling of Zelda OOT could continue so we can move it into the 21st century.

Stage%203%20%236.jpg

Snatch5003

Aircrewman
sorry if it sounds silly but as the n64 had only a certain amount of polygons to play with i think it was 150,000 wouldnt this apply to the emulators as well??

also it would kill my computer as some n64 games bring it to a standstill already

OP
Amon_Knives

Amon_Knives

Film Student
Snatch5003 said:
sorry if it sounds silly but as the n64 had only a certain amount of polygons to play with i think it was 150,000 wouldnt this apply to the emulators as well??

also it would kill my computer as some n64 games bring it to a standstill already

As you may notice, the roms aren't playing on an n64, are they? Putting them on a computer with excellent graphics and memory, anything is possible.

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
I think that remodeling is quite a bit out of the scope and ability of most of the people out there. Especially when these characters will need to be animated. They look fine enough as it is, already without a bunch of people making half assed models like that, and making custom models, like a nude link with kokiri wang.

OP
Amon_Knives

Amon_Knives

Film Student
KMan said:
I think that remodeling is quite a bit out of the scope and ability of most of the people out there. Especially when these characters will need to be animated. They look fine enough as it is, already without a bunch of people making half assed models like that, and making custom models, like a nude link with kokiri wang.

ECK!! Did you really have to give us that mental image. You have a point though. We really don't need half assed models made. But then again, someone like you Kman could come along with excellent 3d skills and do it. Anything's possible.

Toasty

Sony battery
I don't know much about the details of 64 emulation, but it seems like it would be extreamly difficult to do. It would probably be quicker to rewrite the game for PC IMO (which would be really cool but would obviously violate copyright laws, at least if it were distributed). Who knows though, maybe changing models can be done similarly to the way textures are changed by some plugins.

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
It will come with time Amon_Knives, the question is when and with who. The first step I would think the first step is to find someone with skills who is willing to do the job. Although, Toasty might have a point, or a good idea, LOL :p
However, if someone retextured that Link rather nicely, they could take snapshots for the equip menu screen with link in it.

Last edited:
OP
Amon_Knives

Amon_Knives

Film Student
Mojo Man!!! said:
It will come with time Amon_Knives, the question is when and with who. The first step I would think the first step is to find someone with skills who is willing to do the job. Although, Toasty might have a point, or a good idea, LOL :p
However, if someone retextured that Link rather nicely, they could take snapshots for the equip menu screen with link in it.

Unfortunately, the only thing that looks good on Pogo's link is the hair.

Quvack

With the way Link looks in that model, I dont think he's going to be riding Epona anytime soon, maybe if you changed her model to be a "short bus" instead it'd fit together a little better. :p

OP
Amon_Knives

Amon_Knives

Film Student
Quvack said:
With the way Link looks in that model, I dont think he's going to be riding Epona anytime soon, maybe if you changed her model to be a "short bus" instead it'd fit together a little better. :p

Umm, last time, this isn't my model, it's from a member named Pogo in a previous thread.

Quvack

Amon_Knives said:
Umm, last time, this isn't my model, it's from a member named Pogo in a previous thread.

I realise. I meant "you" as the general style you, not like uhhmmm "YOU" style you! but whatever :p

Mireneye

Now id really want to be able to replace models man!. I suspect I have the skills... See my work here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/search.php?searchid=1491919

I have quite alot of years modelling, and im also experianced in low poly stuff. Not quite the Zelda Lowpoly stuff, but alil higher then that, about todays standard lowpoly.

Id love to see the feature of remodelling things.
Keep it up, I want it!

Cheers

OP
Amon_Knives

Amon_Knives

Film Student
Mireneye said:
Now id really want to be able to replace models man!. I suspect I have the skills... See my work here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/search.php?searchid=1491919

I have quite alot of years modelling, and im also experianced in low poly stuff. Not quite the Zelda Lowpoly stuff, but alil higher then that, about todays standard lowpoly.

Id love to see the feature of remodelling things.
Keep it up, I want it!

Cheers

Well, as there really isn't any way to import the models back into the game, the only way would just be for fun. I saw some of your models and I'm quite impressed. I'd never be able to do any of that. Hey, what do ya say? Could you just make an adult link head or ganondorf head just for fun?
Sounds weird, but I'm really interested in this subject.

Mireneye

I was working on ganons head a while back. *Still have a very good texture for it* Which i have painted myself, first good head texture ever IMO... However, it was so long ago that the headmodel sucked... I might be able to make a new head mayhaps. Ill see what i can do, but it takes some time!

I want somebody to get on with something to get models ingame!!! Cheers

jack

Well this idea has already been done in the Xbox scene. Some guys there decompress the DVD files of certain games, hack the compression scheme the developers used for the models, and mod it with 3d max. Then they injet the modified model back, recompress everything, and you got nude Dead or Alive Volleyball characters.

You just need someone good with hex and understanding of compression to do it.

Mireneye

Actually, that was probably exchanging rextures, or am I wrong?. I have seen this done for many games on PC, and ive seen a game getting 'Ripped' apart, by experianced people. I know some, but they have all very, very much IRL work to do.

Id really like to hear what the programmers around here thinks... Rice are you active here somewhere ?

Toasty

Sony battery
I'm a decent programmer IMO, but a noobie emulator programmer, so take what I say with a good pound of salt or so.

I would think that the 64 performs adjustments to specific polygons/sections in the model (for example, to make it move - when Link moves his arms and feet, the vertices of specific sections in the model would have to have their locations changed). If the original model were replaced with a different one, my guess is that the game would either adjust the wrong vertices or just plain crash (I would guess the former of the two, but again, this isn't my area of expertise).

So, you'd have your beautifully detailed Link model staring at you, but the instant he's supposed to move his arm or breathe or anything, his face stretches down to his waist or something weird like that. Anyway, that's just one of the problems I could foresee happening. It would probably be possible to make a game specific modification to the emulator/video plugin that would allow the models in one game to be replaced and act normally, but extensive knowledge of the way the game does all of its model adjustments would be required.

Again, I can't back any of this due to inexperience, but from what little programming I've done with vertex buffers and model skeletons, it seemed like something that would cause problems. I hope I'm wrong and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I were.

OP
Amon_Knives

Amon_Knives

Film Student
Toasty said:
I would think that the 64 performs adjustments to specific polygons/sections in the model (for example, to make it move - when Link moves his arms and feet, the vertices of specific sections in the model would have to have their locations changed). If the original model were replaced with a different one, my guess is that the game would either adjust the wrong vertices or just plain crash (I would guess the former of the two, but again, this isn't my area of expertise).

I certainly agree. But what if somehow there was a way to alter the locations the vertices would move. I have no experience with modeling or programing, but it's just a thought.