PDA

View Full Version : An idea to N64 games enhacement: TruForm

Archnemon
April 10th, 2005, 16:10
I thought that if is possible to use n-Patches or similar to smooth 3d meshes in N64 games...

N-Patches are graphical techniques to add more polys to models of games, using "interpolation" in meshes.In case of Ati Cards, they called "TruForm TM", and in Nvidia, i believe that its name is "CinemaFX" or similar.They can be programmed to individual models using IDs of these models i think, and not to affect all models...

My question is...do you think that it is possible to "smooth" the very-low poly models of N64 games?This technique is usefull for old computer games like "halflife-counter strike 1" or "wolfenstein".

There are here some images of "TruForm" applied to games:

http://www.aimhere.nl/got_files/TruForm.jpg

http://www.allround-pc.com/reports/03016/images/polygone.jpg

:bouncy:

PD: Sorry for my very BAD english, I use google to translate some words, i am spanish... :blush: I hope that it is understandable... :huh:

Trotterwatch
April 10th, 2005, 16:14
I believe Orkin he of GLN64/Direct64 fame toyed with this a while back but found it to be unfeasible to apply when dealing with N64 models (made them bloated). This is as far as I can recall anyways.

Truform is a great technology though, pity it ain't used more often (especially as the performance impact on this Radeon 8500 is minimal :D)

By the way, your English is very good, so don't fret about it.

optimus$prime
April 10th, 2005, 16:21
great idea; games would look awesome with it

but i don't think it would be easy to implement it

Archnemon
April 10th, 2005, 18:06
Additionally,a lot of N64 games use lights per point, and i think that we can generate "bump mapping" or pixel shadows...

Dreaming is free...

Trotterwatch
April 10th, 2005, 18:16
I think Orkin is experimenting with a lot of this sort of stuff at the moment, so maybe just maybe your dreams will come to fruition one day :)

MuhMuh
April 10th, 2005, 18:49
If this could be done to a videoplugin, nintendo64 emulation would get to a higher level. :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

edit: I dont even have a ati card... X_x Hopefully this can be done for nvidia-cards ,too!

Toasty
April 11th, 2005, 10:57
I, too, hope this can be done someday. Used in conjunction with high-res textures it would be almost like having an N64 title remade for Gamecube (or who knows, perhaps even better with enough tinkering).

Federelli
April 11th, 2005, 17:23
N-Patches won't work, simply because of how the models are made, and textures are mapped.
Models will look deformly round, and textures will repeat over extended areas.

MiLO83
April 14th, 2005, 18:45
And these "air plane" contraptions will never get off the ground without feathers, believe me, i'm the absolute authority on the topic.

neo64
April 14th, 2005, 19:27
Ok, then the next idea: why not make the plugin "dump" the model-files out so that they can be replaced just like the textures?

Orkin
April 14th, 2005, 19:50
Trotterwatch is correct. I did in fact at one point write a D3D plugin that used software n-patches, but it only worked in Mario 64 because I didn't take into account the N64's oddities (plus it only supported the Fast3D microcode), and it really didn't look that good. If I still have the source laying around I'll try to post it so others can see, but I doubt I still have it...that was years ago. And I didn't even have texturing implemented at the time.

To do it correctly, because of the N64's strange vertex processing pipeline, it would have to be done in software instead of on the GPU and in ****geneous space instead of model space. Thing is, I'm not sure how the math would work in 4-D instead of 3-D...

On second thought...hmmm...

Snatch5003
April 16th, 2005, 15:22
:icecream: i luv that saying :icecream:

Rice
April 16th, 2005, 16:33
I know that "...hmmmm..." is Orkin's signature for something magnificant to come soon.

Nin_10_Dough
April 16th, 2005, 16:34
yeah, I get a happy feeling when he says that............in my pants! ;)

It would be interesting if this was possible, but I'd imagine it would be a huge strain on the system.

Orkin
April 18th, 2005, 08:24
Hmmm...

smcd
April 18th, 2005, 08:30
Sexy! :D

Orkin
April 18th, 2005, 08:31
Now before you all get too excited, there are still a few issues:

Speed: my Athlon XP 1700+ can't keep up with TRUFORM enabled. However, newer, faster CPUs may not have trouble here.
Gaps: Some places where triangles meet don't line up correctly after being TRUFORMed. May be possible to render original geometry first, to fill in gaps.
"Fat" Models: Makes models look "fat". May be able to add a slider to adjust amount of TRUFORMing.
Other errors mostly with objects that are meant to be blocky and world geometry getting rounded. May be able to apply normal thresholds and static geometry detection through matrix analysis to alleviate the trouble

I may be able to get these sorted out. If not, this will just be another novelty option to add to Direct64's config dialog...

optimus$prime
April 18th, 2005, 09:15
wow very impressive!
this is awesome :bouncy:

what kind of gfx card do you use?

WildSOfT
April 18th, 2005, 09:20
Very nice enhancement! This makes characters in N64 games look much better.

Way to go Orkin!

optimus$prime
April 18th, 2005, 09:37
Very nice enhancement! This makes characters in N64 games look much better.

Way to go Orkin!

hmmmm i think everything that has polygons should look better :happy:

Trotterwatch
April 18th, 2005, 09:56
Great work :) Damn shame this couldn't have been done in hardware (though you did explain the reasons why earlier - ie uberbloating of things).

Does look mighty fine though.

Djipi
April 18th, 2005, 10:49
Nvidia and ATI works with this new option?

neo64
April 18th, 2005, 13:02
ähm... Orkin, how did you do that? Have you programmed another plugin or how does it work? Where is it available and how can I get it running?

MuhMuh
April 18th, 2005, 13:12
Will that work with a Nvidia-Geforce card?

_pm_
April 18th, 2005, 13:18
Great work, Orkin!!!! It looks awesome :bouncy:

gandalf
April 18th, 2005, 13:42
holly sh*t!

nice work orkin!!!

zorbid
April 18th, 2005, 21:44
ub3r l33t :)

Could it be combined with the cel shader?

:drool:

Kolano
April 18th, 2005, 22:27
To the folks above with NVidias, you'll note Orkin specifically says "TRUFORM enabled" (i.e. this will be ATI only).

Orkin
April 18th, 2005, 22:44
To the folks above with NVidias, you'll note Orkin specifically says "TRUFORM enabled" (i.e. this will be ATI only).

Actually, even though it uses ATI's algorithm (based off an example program they put out), it's all done in software so it'll work on anything. Assuming you have a fast enough CPU to handle what was originally intended to be done on a GPU...

xenSity
April 18th, 2005, 23:14
That is a pretty cool feature.
It is too bad that the geometry is so strange that it can't be done in GPU.
If there was a way to convert the data to something that the GPU could handle to sort of stage or spread the load a bit... Not sure if it would be any faster or even possible.

It's at least something worth wondering about. As it is now, it looks nice.

Federelli
April 19th, 2005, 01:04
Check out Link's Master Sword handle, looks fat ;). Nice going on mario's head though.

Talbain
April 19th, 2005, 03:26
I know I splurged. It looks good. The geometry of the N64 must be very strange though... of course, we're trying to work at it from an emulation standpoint... so it may just be that the architecture is still misunderstood, although... that would seem pretty far-fetched considering what emulation is currently doing with the N64 wouldn't it? Yeah, I like ellipses. That Mario pic's very impressive though, not to mention promising.

Orkin
April 19th, 2005, 08:10
I've heavily modified and optimized ATI's original code and the speed is much better now. Unfortunately to get decent speed I had to lock it at only quadrupling the triangle count, where ATI's implementation could do different "levels" of tesselization, but it's still a decent quality boost.

I also fixed the gap problem, so now I just need to figure out how to keep it from bloating things like terrain, boxes, bridges, and the like. Looks like this may turn into a usable option afterall!

Talbain
April 19th, 2005, 10:07
Keep up the awesomeness Orkin. =)

ryanraab
April 21st, 2005, 06:47
I just want to say this is awesome but I use Rices plugin. So I hope Rice and you work together to get this on Rices plugin too. :happy:

DeathFox007
April 21st, 2005, 07:45
Great, all we need now is for Jabo to come back and make a sound plug-in that can replace the sounds. =)

Doomulation
April 21st, 2005, 09:07
Nooo... that's azimer's job =)
Azimer is the most sound experienced developer 'round here... I suppose.

TS_Death_Angel
April 21st, 2005, 21:16
Can't wait to try this out :) Keep up the good work

cooliscool
April 21st, 2005, 21:42
Orkin once again r0x0rz my b0x0rz..

Archnemon
April 22nd, 2005, 23:42
Good work!Awesome! And it is based on my idea :happy:

I dont know about Nvidia N-Patches, but TruForm is designed to draw the maps and textures correctly...is logical.

I hope that this can be use in all games, or at less, in most N64 games...

NT: My english is really "good"? :blush:

Trotterwatch
April 22nd, 2005, 23:45
NT: My english is really "good"?

It is indeed :) I certainly haven't had any problems in understanding anything you have written.

Archnemon
April 22nd, 2005, 23:56
Ok.

About the effect:

Now before you all get too excited, there are still a few issues:
"Fat" Models: Makes models look "fat". May be able to add a slider to adjust amount of TRUFORMing.

Models are not really "fat".They are just "smoothed", and probably TruForm add polys in middle...I dont think that it is a problem.

Next step: Bump Mapping :icecream:

gandalf
April 23rd, 2005, 00:15
he put bump mapping in his plug-in after this "truform", and it looks nice :D

IM0001
April 30th, 2005, 18:40
when will we get a little something to mess with ourselves :) Im dying to try this out with my 9800PRO

ragnor
April 30th, 2005, 21:33
hmm... Now all I need is an upgrade to my PC, so I can use the plugin once TRUFORM is enabled. An upgrade so I can play outdated games? Haha, oh well.

ryanraab
May 1st, 2005, 02:14
For the slider to set what levels will be possible? How much levels will there be? 16X(super rounded lol)?

Mireneye
May 1st, 2005, 02:18
Be patient he will work it out in time!... Also, any kind of additional shaderfeature would be cool. As in Bumpmapping or even the more advanced ones as in Normal or Displacement. But I don understand the hardships of those, I tried writing a NormalMap shader myself, for 3dsmax... I was fairly.. BArely sucsessful.. And it does'nt work to well.. It has to make one pass for every light present EEK. Which will beacome heavy and intensive for CPU as you know...

Keep goin at it, I hope it will come around soon!

ryanraab
May 1st, 2005, 02:42
Mireneye patients very good. Without it I would be hunting down Orkin. Those shaderfeatures in n64 games would be awesome. Automatically would make the n64 beat any console out there with the help of modern computers ofcourse.

P.S Orkin are you sharing the code to Rice so he can have a look at it? :)

CoffeeandTV
May 1st, 2005, 04:27
I hope I'm not being too forward but, I'm really suprised no one has asked this.
Would you be able to post some screenshots? Just for curiosity's sake.

ryanraab
May 1st, 2005, 05:47
He did post screenshots.

Amon_Knives
May 1st, 2005, 05:56
He did post screenshots.

Yeah, it's like right before everyone started talking about it. :ermm:

CoffeeandTV
May 1st, 2005, 06:07
Sorry, they were not loading for me :/

Amon_Knives
May 1st, 2005, 06:35
Sorry, they were not loading for me :/

I sometimes get that problem too. Though very rarley, like when my computer decides to be an a$$. I just can't wait fo the final thing to be finished and released.

Nin_10_Dough
May 1st, 2005, 06:45
I like avi recording features. Avi recording relies on savestate recording and then the following keystrokes afterwards which is then later converted to avi ( not done through video plugin I don't think ). Any chance of a feature like that appearing in either 1964 or pj?

I thought the free camera movement feature in nemu was pretty neat. In conjunction with a movie record feature some amazing clips could be made. Imagine recording yourself playing through a level or area and then going back and setting the camera path to follow you in a certain way. Sort of a enhanced replay mode :D

ryanraab
May 2nd, 2005, 02:38
Nin_10_Dough cool idea. Will just have to wait for Orkin to say Hmmm...

IM0001
May 2nd, 2005, 06:22
that kind of camera replay setup would be awsome. As does the sound of what orkin has been doing. Pretty sweet that we can breath new life into an old console. Now I just wonder is orkin making it Software only or will it take advantage of us ATI users that have the hardware. Either way my 3.0 ~3.15 should be able to take it if the GPU gets to be lazy.

Mireneye
May 2nd, 2005, 07:43
Keep goin! Im hoping that something good will come out of this soon!

Doomulation
May 2nd, 2005, 09:43
I like avi recording features. Avi recording relies on savestate recording and then the following keystrokes afterwards which is then later converted to avi ( not done through video plugin I don't think ). Any chance of a feature like that appearing in either 1964 or pj?

I thought the free camera movement feature in nemu was pretty neat. In conjunction with a movie record feature some amazing clips could be made. Imagine recording yourself playing through a level or area and then going back and setting the camera path to follow you in a certain way. Sort of a enhanced replay mode :D
Hmm... I think I recall mupen has something similar. Might be unreleased, though.

Nin_10_Dough
May 2nd, 2005, 15:30
Yes mupen can record avi, but mupen won't run for me at all. I know others that mupen just refuses to work for also :yucky:. Crashes whenever I try to choose the rom directory, directly load a game, change a setting, ect. It doesn't have the free camera movement thing or the idea of being able to define a path for the camera during a replay.

jdsony
May 2nd, 2005, 18:00
Anyone interested in manufacturing an updated N64 console that will take advantage of all these features? The system will offer full HDTV resolution support with hi-res textures, smoothed models, shader options such as cell-shading, up to 7.1 surround sound, game save anywhere, wireless controllers, and some other unique features. We will also have a very simple SDK to entice developers, possibly even Rare.

:P

Spacy
May 2nd, 2005, 19:17
Just wait about 3 years, then buy a cheap PC with a standard graphcis card and use the newest N64 Emu (Project64 v2 or 1964 v1.5). Then just config it, use an adaptoid with a N64 controller.
You can remove some unneeded software from WinXP SP3 using nLite and setup some config files to always autostart the Emu. Maybe we need an application to control windows with the gamepad... or in conjunction with a multimedia center we could use a remote controll.

This makes me excited ^_^
Maybe I'll buy a N64 sometime and put a BTX PC inside it. Would be a nice idea for a future case mod.

I'm very interested in what Orkin is going to release in indefinited time :D

Plz don't mind about my english if it's too bad ;)

Mireneye
May 2nd, 2005, 19:53
I have a big issue with this... Beacuse Orkin seems like a nice Developer and Rice has some huge advantages ATM... Could'nt they just work together!

Clements
May 2nd, 2005, 20:51
I'm sure they prefer to work on their own projects. There is a lot of 'cross talk' going on anyway, so when one plugin emulates or adds a new feature the others will follow suit more often than not. Just look at the gold Rare logo at the beginning of CBFD, as soon as this was implented in Glide64 the other plugins all emulated this feature soon after, same with 2D filtering with 2xSAI that was first implemented in glN64() and now all plugins have this option.

Mireneye
May 3rd, 2005, 08:50
I know what you mean. I guess its like this when you want the best of both worlds. Ive seen the dilemma before. Well well, ill hope something will turn up soon!

jdsony
May 3rd, 2005, 18:31
Just wait about 3 years, then buy a cheap PC with a standard graphcis card and use the newest N64 Emu (Project64 v2 or 1964 v1.5). Then just config it, use an adaptoid with a N64 controller.
You can remove some unneeded software from WinXP SP3 using nLite and setup some config files to always autostart the Emu. Maybe we need an application to control windows with the gamepad... or in conjunction with a multimedia center we could use a remote controll.

As I was writing my joke post I realized "Yeah, you could actually just easily do that with a small PC hooked to your tv". I'm actually working on a PC that I can use for the TV. The case is from the first Ethernet switch ever made which I painted orange with a racing stripe. Some bugs landed in my clear coat so I gotta redo that before I finish assembling it. I have an Athlon 2000+ and radeon 8500 that I will use with DVI out to the TV. The case is rack mount though so I might think of something else interesting to do with it like use it for my band or something.

loopsider
May 5th, 2005, 04:36
For the slider to set what levels will be possible? How much levels will there be? 16X(super rounded lol)?

If this thing works by subdividing or subsurf, I dont think 16x will be possible (8x to a simple cube can cripple high end machines...). You will have microscopic edges in your mesh, and I don't think 16x is necessary. 2x would be enough to be noticable.

ryanraab
May 5th, 2005, 06:55
loopsider will have to see what will happen.

Mireneye
May 5th, 2005, 18:55
Actually... 2 subdevisions on a 200poly mesh beacomes 1600. 1 Subdevision beacomes 400polys. An avarage character in todays games land in between 2000-3000 and 5000-7000 for the more important ones. Since this is an emulator you could get a smooth result with only one i believe. A subdiv of 16 would push up the polygons of one single 200poly mesh by a few millions.

Caparros
May 5th, 2005, 19:18
can't wait to see this working... :whistling

neo64
May 5th, 2005, 19:24
Anyone interested in manufacturing an updated N64 console that will take advantage of all these features? The system will offer full HDTV resolution support with hi-res textures, smoothed models, shader options such as cell-shading, up to 7.1 surround sound, game save anywhere, wireless controllers, and some other unique features. We will also have a very simple SDK to entice developers, possibly even Rare.
Yeah that's cool. Let's put a microATX based PC into an old N64-chassis from ebay and we have it.

IM0001
May 8th, 2005, 00:32
any new news on this. Been a few days :)

loopsider
May 8th, 2005, 18:05
Actually... 2 subdevisions on a 200poly mesh beacomes 1600. 1 Subdevision beacomes 400polys. An avarage character in todays games land in between 2000-3000 and 5000-7000 for the more important ones. Since this is an emulator you could get a smooth result with only one i believe. A subdiv of 16 would push up the polygons of one single 200poly mesh by a few millions.

1x subdivision wouldn't do much in terms of smoothness (a cube would remain a cube). Some type of subsurf like catmull-clark (I suppose such calculations were used in the zelda screen shots) would be practical, but nonetheless have a perfect effect at 2x.

Mireneye
May 8th, 2005, 19:32
Yeah, if it beacomes smooth depends on if the subdevision smooths it out in any way. Like apparently this... Catmull clark does ! ?

I only know how the Meshsmooth modifier in max works in terms of smoothing.
Cheers

IM0001
May 19th, 2005, 21:05
think this post needs a bump. I really want to see what comes of this.

ragnor
May 19th, 2005, 22:41
I'm just wondering if Orkin died...

gandalf
May 19th, 2005, 23:34
he must be too busy to work in Direct 64 :(

IM0001
June 18th, 2005, 07:04
Common. Where did Orkin Go? :(
This plugin had tons of potential.

falkar
June 25th, 2005, 14:50
Common. Where did Orkin Go? :(
This plugin had tons of potential.
but need too much work :bouncy:

loopsider
June 25th, 2005, 18:53
Yeah, if it beacomes smooth depends on if the subdevision smooths it out in any way. Like apparently this... Catmull clark does ! ?

I only know how the Meshsmooth modifier in max works in terms of smoothing.
Cheers

Tru-form appears to be similar to Catmull-clark subdivision. As catmull-clark deforms and rounds out the mesh, it seems tru-form does the same (at the firms picture, some of the stone edge on the platform is rounded out).

I was talking about 2x subdivision, as suppose a cube. A cube, with it's six faces, would have each face divided into four. Then you would have a total of 24 faces. This of course would expand as you have the next amount of subdivision, causing each of the 24 faces to divide four times, and have 96 faces with the next step of subdivision.

6 24 96 384
With the nth sequence being: 6x(4^n-1)

Because of 6x(4^n-1), 1x subdivision would not yield any effect.

Now of course, since you can still see the geometry of the mesh (a blocky sphere), I suppose the final smoothing is generated at a pixel-level.

loopsider
June 26th, 2005, 17:00
Sorry, I am wrong...

1x subdivision, as I found out, is the same as what I consider 2x subdivision...

Caparros
July 7th, 2005, 00:01
orkin, come out,come out, whenever you are!

bleeu
December 2nd, 2005, 14:05
sad this project seemed to die and sad I had to bring a half year old topic just to notify that. sigh

stunt_man
December 16th, 2005, 15:29
Sigh...

*bump*

yyttu
January 1st, 2006, 11:48
I've browsed these forums once every now and then for years, but this was worth signing up for. Any progress?

pedrocasilva
January 1st, 2006, 17:23
I've browsed these forums once every now and then for years, but this was worth signing up for. Any progress?not yet, but don't get your hopes down, orkin still has the code and is working on it, even if slowly, as stated by djipi, it has some bugs applying the "new" textures, still not there with rice's plugin as of yet...

So although it has potential, instead of going for lots of betas out there he must be trying to get it "almost" right at the first try/release, keep checking if the plugin comes out, but give him the time he needs, could be next month, could be next summer... but I think it'll still come out.

raphsing
January 7th, 2006, 15:33
do you know a smoother for the bitmaps in the game?

I tried all the ways but I don't like the results.

OmegaDeus
January 27th, 2006, 13:14
What I would like to see in terms of expanding the emulation world is not this per se, but something quite similar to it. I mean they've found how to dump the mesh, figured out how to dump the texture, but all in all they put them all back during gameplay which is sort of computer and gpu intensive(depending on how it's done). What I would like to see is a program (or an assortment of programs thereof) to allow you to "browse" your games, and replace stuff at will. Then I won't need a rather large collection of textures for my games because I would have put everything into the game itself. Sure if I wrote it back to cartridge, it'd probably make the n64 take a crap on itself or run incredibly slow, but for the computer sake, if I could just "tweak" link how I see fit (hehe maybe even replace him with mario :P), put him back into the game as if he were there normally and just let the emulator run it, it'd be like everything that everyone is asking for, but longer term, and less computer hungry.

Anywho, just a thought on the matter.

DANO555666
January 27th, 2006, 14:04
This is amazing. This will turn the gaming world upside down. N64 is back! Bigger and better than ever! That's the dream:p

And who would've thort it all started because someone had an idea:p My dearest regards to Archnemon, for putting this out into the open, and to Orkin for making this dream a reality.

Rock on Muthf@#$ers!

Mireneye
January 27th, 2006, 14:18
What I would like to see in terms of expanding the emulation world is not this per se, but something quite similar to it. I mean they've found how to dump the mesh, figured out how to dump the texture, but all in all they put them all back during gameplay which is sort of computer and gpu intensive(depending on how it's done). What I would like to see is a program (or an assortment of programs thereof) to allow you to "browse" your games, and replace stuff at will. Then I won't need a rather large collection of textures for my games because I would have put everything into the game itself. Sure if I wrote it back to cartridge, it'd probably make the n64 take a crap on itself or run incredibly slow, but for the computer sake, if I could just "tweak" link how I see fit (hehe maybe even replace him with mario :P), put him back into the game as if he were there normally and just let the emulator run it, it'd be like everything that everyone is asking for, but longer term, and less computer hungry.

Anywho, just a thought on the matter.

The closest you will come to that is writing your own N64 game, which is indeed possible. THere's compilers out there that compiles code into N64 code which can then be emulated. However, seeing as normal N64 games were also compiled, if you write more data then the compiled amount you will overwrite something, hence you just can't input into the rom. However, the reason why the LOZ Link to the past editor works, is beacuse the limitations does not lie in the rom itself, it lies in the engine reading them, as opposed to the n64. In the end, also, it is down to the level that you can reverse engineer it. If somebody sucseeds to completely reverse engineer zelda into the code it was made with, and then write an editor for those native formats. But that is truly to much work to ask of anyone.

OmegaDeus
January 27th, 2006, 21:29
Well, I believe enough reverse engineering is there. If they can yank it out and make it to where we can alter it with any program, then there should be a way to just replace x mesh with y mesh and call it good. Sure you may have to compile the mesh and the textures the way the n64 requires them compiled, but I don't see how replacing one long string of bytes with another would do any harm so long as make sure that the rom has access to finding the beginning and end of that specific string all the same. I don't see that it would break anything to have a bigger or smaller mesh in there. As far as the textures go, that could be a different story, I mean if you yank out a couple of textures and don't replace them or map your new mesh differently than they did, that could cause some problems, but as long as you used the same number of textures and have them mapped so that the rom will still stick them to the mesh accordingly, things should be fine.

Anywho, just more thoughts.

mots
January 27th, 2006, 22:07
please Orkin, don't let your amazing plugin die!

but2002
January 29th, 2006, 00:18
Will a plugin be released?

EDIT: Sorry for reviving

pedrocasilva
January 29th, 2006, 00:31
Will a plugin be released?

EDIT: Sorry for revivingguys don't bump this thread for posts like this... because obviously there's no date to be released, it'll be released when the author wants to, when it's done... or never released even, of course we all hope it will but... it's up to the author not us.

AntiAlias
July 22nd, 2006, 10:50
Wohh..wahh..Ahh!!

Sorry, I lost my balance and bumped into this thread. Orkin hasn't been online since last year. Get back here! Finish this thing off! Maybe you can grow tired of it because you get to use it whenever you want, but we can't! Release something already!

netdroid9
July 22nd, 2006, 14:25
Bump Mapping of some sort would be awesome, but glitchy. Certain ground textures would be affected adversly to an automatic generation of a heightmap, and without a hieghtmap most Bump Mapping techniques that I've heard of will fail miserably.

The 'trumesh' technology used here seems good at first look, but does incur what appears to be a 'fattening' of the model, which appears to have (in my opinion) an adverse affect on both the definition of shadows on the model and the accuracy of the textures applied to the model (e.g. Zelda's eyes appear streached in my opinion). Never-the-less, it does look pretty good.

It'd be awesome if there was a way to implement dynamic shadows automatically, but that may be a bit wistful for practical application.