What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Attaching hi-res textures to the rom files

minkster

Hypothetical Question

This question is totally hypothetical...I was wondering if it is possible to merge hirez textures into an existing rom image to replace the old textures. Basically, making a new modified rom out of it. If this were to be possible...would it be legal? Or would that be plagerizing the authors original content of the rom itself? Sorry if it was a stupid question :p thanks-minkster

knowitman

I am pretty sure that isn't possible because the textures use a specialized format and when the roms searches for the textures it searches a certain address in the file. You could probably do it if they were the same filesize which really wouldn't be hi-res then.

porjay

I think overall it would be a job that will take a long time. but also its better this way because you can customize the way you want the game to look like.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hmmm... nah. You'd be overwriting game code since the new textures are bigger. Plus I guess it wouldn't be legal since you're editing copyrighted material.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Plus the video plugin would have to expect to load bigger textures than its probably prepared to.

Codexing

The Xpaniard
I was wondering if there was any way of changing the original textures for the hi-res ones directly in the rom, so they could be used, for example, in other emulators. Do you think that would be possible? That way people could already download n64 roms with the latest hi-res projects in them, or even dump them just like ips patchers do on gba roms.
Do you reckon there could be some way to do that?
Or maybe I got lost and it's already out there, but I couldn't find any thread about it...
I just thought it would be great if the hi res textures could be used with Jabo's latest video plugin
thanks

Codexing

The Xpaniard
whooops!
The search function didn't show that thread... I reckon I musn't have used the proper words then...
Umm....then is there any way to use the hi-res textures in PJ64? (I think this should go to the PJ64 board, sorry for the inconvenience)

V-King

Just a dude
Basically it's the same if you use 1964 or pj64. They use the same Plugins. And since the hires texture option is implemented in the plugin (which you can use for probably every n64 emulator out there) it's equal which emulator you use ;)

Codexing

The Xpaniard
ummm....sorry, got confused...
What I meant to ask is if I could use the Hi-Res textures on Jabo's latest video plugin that comes with PJ64 1.6
It just works better for me than Rice's latest video plugin

Instead maybe somebody could please tell me the best configuration for my system when using rice's? It might just be a config problem that makes it work worse at places (conker's bad fur day works sooo much better on Jabo's latest... and Mario 64 keeps flickering from time to time...)

Last edited:

GouldFish

the Hi-rez texture loading is only done in Rice's plug-in at the moment. Hopefully other plug-in writers will add it as well, but if not then I happy to use Rice's great plug-in.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
btw to answer the question in the first post: Yes you can install new textures directly into a rom, if you want to go about the task of hacking the rom for weeks looking for how it stores textures, that is... that and the fact that most plugins would be unprepared for the new texture sizes... the n64 was built at a pretty low resolution after all...

It is far more efficient to use external textures and a texture loader in the plugin.

SubDrag

The RWP has released a permanent ROM editor for Goldeneye and PD. You might not be able to fit hi-res into the slots currently designated, but with some hacking we could prob tack it on at the end of the ROM. However, Goldeneye can only handle up to 0x40 x 0x40 images (square max)

Other games, have fun hacking the compression.

ferbe

Attaching hi-res textures to the rom files?
hmmm, not a good idea. This would lead into:
1) CRC alterations => Broken RDBs/Ini files => Need to update all N64 emus.
2) More piracy.

Last edited:

Amon_Knives

Film Student
GouldFish said:
the Hi-rez texture loading is only done in Rice's plug-in at the moment. Hopefully other plug-in writers will add it as well, but if not then I happy to use Rice's great plug-in.

Too bad it won't work with Jabo's, it worked perfectly for me, while with rice's i've experienced multiple delays and glitches. Not complaining, but it would be cool to have the function in other plugins, depending on the computer you are using.

Codexing

The Xpaniard
I think you didn't understand my first question well
What I really wanted to know is if there was some way of playing the roms with hi-res textures using Jabo's latest plugin. it's just that rice's does't work so well for me.
Maybe I should have used a different title for the topic, because that was just an idea I thought could be possible for it, but after seeing your answers I've seen that I'll have to wait for a little longer.
Thanks anyway

Amon_Knives

Film Student
Codexing said:
What I meant to ask is if I could use the Hi-Res textures on Jabo's latest video plugin that comes with PJ64 1.6

Acually, we understood your first question, everyone is just answering your second question (above in quote).

SubDrag

ferbe said:
Attaching hi-res textures to the rom files?
hmmm, not a good idea. This would lead into:
1) CRC alterations => Broken RDBs/Ini files => Need to update all N64 emus.
2) More piracy.

Actually attaching images would not affect the CRC, since they would likely be added at the end or towards the end of ROM. N64 ROM's CRC only affects the first 0x10000 or something like that.

Last edited: