What's new

Anyone else have a lockup problem with gens?

smcd

Gens worked fine on my computer for practically forever. Now that I've upgraded some parts and brought XP up to date, it just locks up on starting the program. Anyone else have such an occurence and find a solution? Ages does this as well, but Kega and Kega Fusion, generator32, and lots of others work just fine.

Specs:

CPU:
AMD 2500+

RAM:
1GB DDR400

Video:
ATi 9600 Pro

Hard Drive:
160GB Maxtor
250GB Maxtor

Optical Drive:
Plextor PX-708A

Windows XP Pro SP2

Clements

Gens has issues with certain Windows hotfixes and nForce IDE drivers if you have an nForce motherboard. I suggest using Kega Fusion rather than trying to get Gens to work by uninstalling the hotfixes and drivers.

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
What the...!? Is that why it crashed with me?? Dang. That's why I use Kega Fusion instead. Kega Fusion is without a doubt much better than Gens, and it actually supports Saitek gamepads. It has perfect sound, too. (I think?)

OP
smcd

smcd

I've seen some (what look to be) graphical glitches in kega on a few games that gens plays flawlessly. I have an nForce2 motherboard with the drivers installed, that's probably what it is... I noticed after installing the nForce drivers my TV program says my hard drives dont have DMA enabled when they do, too. Thanks.

Allnatural

I refuse to use Kega until it allows me to configure buttons for directionals, not force me to use the axes of my gamepads.

Clements

sethmcdoogle said:
I've seen some (what look to be) graphical glitches in kega on a few games that gens plays flawlessly.

Care to name a few and provide some screenies? It would be useful to submit them as they will get fixed if it is in fact a true bug not present on the real hardware, since Steve is an accurate kind of guy. :p

OP
smcd

smcd

Bah, one of the roms wasnt renamed properly and the Jurassic Park one looks OK after all, found a screenshot online and the bushes in some areas were kind of square looking there too.