What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Rice- MK64 Texture Issue

Dejital

First of all, it's not your texture.
Second, I took that screenshot.
Third, a new topic was not necessary.

:plain:

Nin_10_Dough

Although a new topic may not have been necessary, he made the 3d model and created the texture from it. He also didn't claim that he took the screenshot.

Dejital

Oh, my mistake, I thought somebody else made the texture. >_<
I need to go stick something up my butt.

OP
Weatherton

Weatherton

perhaps posting the texture and its alpha would also help.

I'm trying to replace the attached Yoshi image with the attached MagiKoopa image (I change the name of the MagiKoopa image to taht of the Yoshi image and place it in my hi res folder). As far as I can tell there aren't any alphas for these textures... if I'm not posting the things you were asking for please let me know :canadian:

Dejital

I think the whole problem is that it's color indexed.
I don't think we'll be able to improve any of the karts. :yucky:

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
I find it hard to believe that there are no alphas, or else we'd be playing black squares on the tracks with buggies in them.

EDIT: ...unless the alpha is actually a specific color in the palette. It's a good way to save memory. In that case you would have apply the original's palette on the upgraded version. Diffuse gradiants help here.

I suggest trying one step at a time to isolate the problem. I would take the original texture, scale it x4 (nearest neighbor) and save it immidiatelly. If *that* doesn't work, then it's highly unlikely that it's a palette problem, unless your image software changes data that it shouldn't when resaving the image.

EDIT2: Attached is a quick example I did with the palettes. This uses exactly the same colors (no more no less) of the original.

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
The problem is the alpha channel. Alpha is not a specific color in the palette, it is within the palette. Each palette entry is a 32-bit word, has RGBA values, not just RGB. When you see the palette panel in your image editing software, it has 256 colors, and each of the 256 color has its alpha value.

I think Weatherton's problem is the alpha values of the generate texture. If you can make the palette complete right, not only the color values, but also the alpha, your texture should work just the one below. I added a red X onto the kart texture, and it works.

I have to agree that it is very tricky to work on such CI textures.

Last edited:
OP
Weatherton

Weatherton

Ok, I don't want to sound like an idiot but I didn't quite understand what you were saying I need to do. I have adobe photoshop and that's what I've been using... is there anyway you could explain a more step-wise method for ensuring proper alpha usage? Again, I'm sorry that I didn't understand; it sounds very well described.

Rice

Emulator Developer
In fact, I am not a master of Photoshop, either. I know the problem is regarding the alpha values, but I don't know what to do step by step with Photoshop.

OP
Weatherton

Weatherton

What programs do you use/recommend Rice? I know you mentioned Matlab or something before... I have access to that as well in my computer labs. I'm willing to use the program that you're comfortable describing in.

Poobah

So, unless I'm mistaken, you could convert each alpha byte in the palette table to 255, and the background colour's one to 0, and then it would work fine?

Poobah

You could write your own utility to do it. The BMP file format is very simple. Or you could use a hex-editor or just write a script.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Color palette tables of MK64 textures seem to never change. You can use the beta 5 to replace such textures with PNG RGBA textures.

OP
Weatherton

Weatherton

You can use the beta 5 to replace such textures with PNG RGBA textures.
I'm really sorry that I must seem so dense, but I'm not sure what that is.

Also, Poobah, I have not yet used a hex-editor or written a script for any program... apparently it's easy but I'm not familiar with the process.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience!

OP
Weatherton

Weatherton

I'm currently trying to figure out how to change the alpha setting of each color in a CI bmp... here are my results so far:

ColorIndexingIssue.jpg

I got the in game texture to look like that by enlarging it 4X with paint and then pasting in my render so that it took on the same color table.... I'm now looking in Photoshop to see where I can change the alpha settings of each color (with no success).

1. How should I go about doing this (what programs/methods)?

2. Will it be possible for me to make my textures have colors that weren't originally in the Yoshi texture? It won't look very good if I can't add colors... MagiKoopa won't even be blue!! :yucky:

Last edited:

GreenImp

ZSNES & ePSXe Beta Tester
I can't get MK64 to do Hi-Rez... All theo other games work fine. I've renamed everything folder & pictures to the way it looks in the ROM, tryed it with the download name & everything I can think of. My ROM checks out ok with GoodN64. I'm at a loss.