What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

_pm_'s Diddy Kong Racing High res textures

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Hi guys! I was working with some DKR textures. Not so much progress, although the most visible Ancient Lake's textures are done. See and tell me if you like them or if it's a no-no.

NOTE: Most textures are in JPEG format, so you need Rice 6.1.1beta3 or later in order to get them working. Sorry but JPEG quality is good enough for these kind of textures and the RAR size is smaller this way.

EDIT: A little upgrade which adds more textures, including some of the snow stages. Also, the small font is included, note that it isn't finished yet. I didn't include the water textures, they seem to make things unstable here. :( Anyways, you can get them in the next messages if you want.

EDIT2: more complete pack including work from more artists can be found here
http://adf.ly/ERk9X

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
_pm_

_pm_

Pathetic Member
JinXD said:
Looking pretty good!! Seems you're gonna do all the N64 games ;)
Nah, I was a bit tired with those SSB CI textures and decided to have fun with this game which has lots of RGB textures. Thanks anyways ;)

Last edited:

spork9

RU D0WN W1TH 00P?
I LOVE DKR!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. This will be shweet wonce you get to the later lvls. I and on 30 ballons wright now. If you havent already gotten the righer lvl textures you can use a cheat. : ) thank you, this owns.

BTW I know you like banjo (thats cool) but incase you are having any trouble pipsy is the best default character. Unlockable goes drumstick and T.T being best.

Last edited:

optimus$prime

nice project!

yes i'm also tired of making hires textures for ssb and switching them back to original palette
but i can't help you with this game because i don't know it
on n64 i only like zelda,sbb,f-zero; the rest is too childish for me

spork9

RU D0WN W1TH 00P?
umm whear do i get the rice beta that i need?

/edit nvm stupid question

Last edited:
OP
_pm_

_pm_

Pathetic Member
spork9 said:
I LOVE DKR!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. This will be shweet wonce you get to the later lvls. I and on 30 ballons wright now. If you havent already gotten the righer lvl textures you can use a cheat. : ) thank you, this owns.

BTW I know you like banjo (thats cool) but incase you are having any trouble pipsy is the best default character. Unlockable goes drumstick and T.T being best.
Thanks for the tips, however, I'll be working on the first levels for now (and the main stage), but with a bit of luck some textures may be shared with other levels as well.

Now, I'm trying to remake the small fonts, at this moment, letters A-Q are done. Note that their shadows are missing for now, and some of them need to look a bit better (especially the A). I'll upload the fonts when I finish them.

Also, I figured that the water uses textures as well. I wanted to add some detail but realized that the water animation uses about 130 textures!! So I decided to make a script and batch-processed them, lol 129 textures in less than a minute!!! :) Too bad the game commonly applies these textures (stretched) over big surfaces and the details are more or less noticeable depending on where you are. :(

spork9

RU D0WN W1TH 00P?
very nice, DO you think you could get the ballons that you pick up in a race while playing to go high res? grate work, If you need a beta for your textures just ask or pm or im etc.

Rice

Emulator Developer
_pm_ said:
Also, I figured that the water uses textures as well. I wanted to add some detail but realized that the water animation uses about 130 textures!!

I doubt it. I guess the game is just using sub images from the big texture. In such case, you can enable the option "Faster loading tiles" to force the plugin to use the big texture instead of sub-textures. In this way, you will get only 1 texture instead of 130.

OP
_pm_

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Rice said:
I doubt it. I guess the game is just using sub images from the big texture. In such case, you can enable the option "Faster loading tiles" to force the plugin to use the big texture instead of sub-textures. In this way, you will get only 1 texture instead of 130.

Thanks Rice, although that didn't help. I tried with that option enabled but the plugin still dumps those small textures and loads the high resolution ones.

Last edited:

jdsony

Nice Work...the Rare games are all big projects. I looked into Banjo Kazooie a little bit but Rare uses so many textures in their games it's a little overwhelming. Good for you for taking the challenge.

Oh yeah fix those darn wheels...That's the one thing that really stood out as bad when I played the game for the first time on an emulator. The wheels are probably CI textures I'm guessing.

Last edited:
OP
_pm_

_pm_

Pathetic Member
jdsony said:
Nice Work...the Rare games are all big projects. I looked into Banjo Kazooie a little bit but Rare uses so many textures in their games it's a little overwhelming. Good for you for taking the challenge.

Oh yeah fix those darn wheels...That's the one thing that really stood out as bad when I played the game for the first time on an emulator. The wheels are probably CI textures I'm guessing.
Thanks. Yes, these games use lots of textures. The good thing is that many of them are shared through the levels (at least for the first three and the main stage).

I know how you feel about BK, I also tried to make something with it but got "scared" after the plugin dumped more than 1000 textures (about 1900 files) only for the intro :(
Anyways, I think BK should look a lot better with new textures, although it would be a really big project. But for now, I stick with DKR and SSB.

About the wheels, I'll see what I can do with them. Nice to know I didn't find any CI textures in this game yet :)

OP
_pm_

_pm_

Pathetic Member
A little progress with snow textures. :)

NOTE #1: I upgraded the texture pack from my first message with all the textures I've remade so far. Hope you like them :)

NOTE #2: I remade the game title's textures, but for some reason they don't align properly and the title doesn't look very good. I'll see what I can do about it, sorry for the "glitch".

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
i must admit pm, but those all look fantastic, Diddy kong racing is one of my all time favourites.. good work! :D

spork9

RU D0WN W1TH 00P?
Ya, it looks very very good. Nice to see the progress lvl riseing. Keep up the good work pm. :)

OP
_pm_

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Thx guys, I'll see if I can do some major improvements to DKR this week and make another update. :happy:

Entreri

Hi guys!.

Sorry for mi poor english, im Spanish... :blush:

This one is my modest contribution.

old.jpg
new.jpg

goold.jpg
gonew.jpg

Download mini pack

minkster

Nice textures but I dont think your link is working correctly. I can't find the file under which directory it is in. Good work though :)