What's new

Emulation: Simpler Machines ?

ChaosBlade

My Heart Chose.. Revenge.
I wonder if anyone could suggest a machine (arcade\console) to try and emulate before jumping into something truely complex, like the gameboy.
I have finished more or less a chip8 emulator (im still fine-touching it), and have considered doing a gameboy emulator in the future, but id like to practice with a few simpler machines first.

If anyone could suggest anything, or even attach\link to any technical documents, it will be appriciated, Thanks.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
ChaosBlade said:
I wonder if anyone could suggest a machine (arcade\console) to try and emulate before jumping into something truely complex, like the gameboy.
I have finished more or less a chip8 emulator (im still fine-touching it), and have considered doing a gameboy emulator in the future, but id like to practice with a few simpler machines first.

If anyone could suggest anything, or even attach\link to any technical documents, it will be appriciated, Thanks.
Hehe, you still haven't done schip8 yet, have you? That's a small challenge, too. Try to get the test game, which was posted in the chip8 thread, working. It uses advanced functions of the machine =)

I better try some of these "simpler" emulators as well :p

OP
ChaosBlade

ChaosBlade

Well, i dont think the schip8 should be that much of a challange. I do know the scrolling opcodes arent that easy, but thats still miles simpler then any other emulation project ive seen.

Ill look into these, even though im reluctent about doing an arcade board emulator, from terms of personal interest. Ive also tried finding some Atari2600 documents, but couldnt find alot.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
its a bit confusing when youve never done it before, but a lot of machines use some means of scrolling so its best to do it so you can understand them, plus then you can play ANT and that game rocks, its also a damn good game for finding errors in your emu ;)

hap

I don't think it's necessary to go for something less complex than Game Boy (or NES ? :D ), considering you did very well with chip8. With such a project, all you need is patience. And the basic knowledge of how to write an emulator, which you have now.

OP
ChaosBlade

ChaosBlade

Well the knowledge i dont have is working with GUIs better, i havent programmed in win32API from scratch before, and never even used D3D\OGL.
Im looking at SDL at the moment, but id definitly want to learn how to use create and manipulate GUIs from scratch before doing an emulator with a real graphics engine, one that cant be resolved to ASCII :p

OP
ChaosBlade

ChaosBlade

Yup, i found that one aswell as another site with less info.
I guess this should be enough incase i try coding an atari 2600 emulator.
Thanks for the help tho ;)

smcd

You might check out some existing emulators for the 2600 like z26 or stella, both have source available and perhaps documentation somwhere... i'd recommend trying to emulate the 7800 since there's not a good selection of emulators for that system :D

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
hap said:
I don't think it's necessary to go for something less complex than Game Boy (or NES ? :D ), considering you did very well with chip8. With such a project, all you need is patience. And the basic knowledge of how to write an emulator, which you have now.
The gameboy is awfully complex in comparison with chip8. I think it's better to do some simpler machine to learn about all io ports, vblank and stuff.

ector

Emulator Developer
It doesn't get much more difficult than the 2600. Avoid it, the timing correctness requirements are absolutely insane!
I hear Phoenix is an extremely easy arcade game to emulate. Other than that SMS (Sega Master System) should be pretty easy too although it's probably on the same level of difficulty as the Gameboy.

OP
ChaosBlade

ChaosBlade

Thanks for the advice ector. It does seem like an awefully complex machine for its time (Atari 2600, late 70's ?).

If ill pick up an easier project, it will prolly be phoenix\space invaders\pacman, one of the three. Either way, i plan on doing a gameboy emulator in the future just for personal fun ;)